Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-20-2011, 10:56 PM

Default March serpertine help

I finally got around to putting my March serp setup on my gto. I am having a problem with getting the belt adjusted.
the kit is march # 13110 it is alt and p/s. no a/c.

The idler pulley is slotted, and with the pulley all the way at the bottom of the slot i still do not get enough tension on the belt. when i turn the adjustment rod on the alternator it does not change anything. the tension is the same no matter if the rod is fully extended or fully retracted. has anyone ran into this before? as far as i know i am using the correct p/s pump and correct alternator. the belt is the part number that my instructions recomended. i am stumped and just wanted to post here before i called march. thanks a bunch guys!

Old 03-20-2011, 11:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's the same kit I have. I installed mine back in 2005 and had similar issues. As you found out, the turnbuckle is absolutely useless as an adjustment for the belt tension. All it does is move the alternator back and forth in the same plane without ever effecting the tension of the belt one way or the other.

The only way I've found to get the belt tight was to have someone apply downward force on the idler pulley to get the the proper tension while I tightened up the bolt. I also changed the washers for the mounting bolt on the idler to something thicker as the original washers were deforming when I cinched the bolt down hard.

Having said all that, I do recall having to get a shorter belt than what the kit recommended. I can't recall off the top of my head what the length was, but I remember getting a couple of belts of differing lengths shorter than the recommend one and then returned the ones I didn't use once I found the right one. I think I chose a length that caused the idler to give the correct tension midway in the slot. I've only had to adjust it a couple of times over the last 5 seasons. It's due to be tightened again this spring as it was squealing a little last year under hard acceleration. Hope you get it sorted.

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots!"
Old 03-20-2011, 11:54 PM

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the advise. I will try a shorter belt tomorrow. Thanks again!

Old 03-20-2011, 11:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had to make parts to get it to work on my friends 70' T/A to and keep the belts from flying off at high RPMs.

The pulleys don't alway's lign up and zing! there goes your belt!

I machined up some thick lage diameter stainless washers for the tensioner as the supplied washers were thin and small in diameter and would not hold the tensioner in place.

And as John mentioned a shorter belt is needed and the turnbuckle has no folcrum.

Nice looking but piece of crap!

Old 03-21-2011, 12:02 AM

I will give you that! Nice eye candy, but for the price you would think it would work as it should!

Old 03-21-2011, 10:27 AM

I was planing to buy the March system this summer. What do they say about the problems?

Old 03-21-2011, 02:30 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67WhiteGoat View Post
I was planing to buy the March system this summer. What do they say about the problems?
If you like I have this March sys. willing to trade or sell never installed brand new in box

Michael Hughes Sr
1966 GTO Convertable: Stolen never recovered
1966 GTO Hard Top .30 over 455 4-Speed 3:23 Posi
Old 03-21-2011, 04:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I am planning on putting a CS 144 alternator on my car. So I need to go with a serpentine belt to get the full benefit. Is the March system my only choice? I would really like a junk yard fix, that March system is not cheap.
Thanks,
Russ

Old 03-21-2011, 06:30 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by russosborne View Post
I am planning on putting a CS 144 alternator on my car. So I need to go with a serpentine belt to get the full benefit. Is the March system my only choice? I would really like a junk yard fix, that March system is not cheap.
Thanks,
Russ
Summit has a serpentine cheaper

Michael Hughes Sr
1966 GTO Convertable: Stolen never recovered
1966 GTO Hard Top .30 over 455 4-Speed 3:23 Posi