Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-18-2011, 01:34 PM
Senior Chief

Default recommend a th400 rebuild kit

As the title says I'm looking for a TH400 rebuild kit. Anyone have any recommendations as to what would be a good kit to use or to what stay away from?

I'm planning on pretty much a stock rebuild with a few mods here and there like dual feeding the direct clutch..

Old 03-18-2011, 01:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

here's a good page from one of our PY members (jakeshoe) that owns Jake's Performance with his specific recipe for a mild upgrade similar to what your describing without a kit:

http://www.jakesperformance.com/TH400_Rebuild_Tech.html

Old 03-18-2011, 02:09 PM
Senior Chief

I've seen that and was planning on trying it but my TH400 is a leaky .. and I figured after I pull I'm going to stick a rebuild kit in it and do some of the things Jake writes about. Last time I checked with him though he stopped selling rebuild kits.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Brengun View Post
As the title says I'm looking for a TH400 rebuild kit. Anyone have any recommendations as to what would be a good kit to use or to what stay away from?

I'm planning on pretty much a stock rebuild with a few mods here and there like dual feeding the direct clutch..

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me..._Code=3L80-400

HP46005R-K

Old 03-19-2011, 08:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

cliff recomended this one for me

http://www.transgo.com/index.html

I like a lot. very smooth and precise. for me anyway.

patrick

Old 03-19-2011, 09:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I stopped selling transmission rebuild kits here as well. Probably for the same reason Jake did.

A complete kit, or components required to build a TH400 are pretty expensive. Expect to pay upwards of $500, especially if you don't have a smooth drum and 34 element sprag and 4L80E spiral lock ring for the drum.

We were including in our kits extra steels in various thicknesses for custom stacking drums, new (short) aluminum apply pistons, extra frictions, Transgo shift kits, both bands, full set of bushings, full set of thrust washers, 34 element sprag, 4L80E lock ring, etc, etc.

I've spent many hours customizing kits and pricing them out, just to have folks back out of the deal and buy cheaper stuff elsewhere.

Fact of life with these things, there are a LOT of folks just about giving things away these days just to get the sale. Saving a few dollars still doesn't get all the parts needed to do the build with upgrades. Sourcing out the additional parts still takes time, and additional shipping, even if you Google them up or find a bargain basement price for them on Ebay, etc.

See how much one on one support you get when things don't go well from other sources with their 3 percent profit margin?.....LOL....Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 03-19-2011, 09:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Be easier and cheaper just to get Cliff to build the whole transmission to begin with.

Plus be easier for Cliff to not have to be on the phone trying to build it OVER the phone after the fact on the ones who do bite and should know the difference.

Be easier for the guy who's paying for it to know its done right with the peace of mind that it won't come unwound in the first 38 seconds it's running also.

Win/win for everyone that way.

Buy the kit and I bet Cliff will send it all packaged up neatly in a nice aluminum shipping case.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:28 AM
Senior Chief

I might get one from someone like Cliff but I'm just interested in getting my GTO back on the road now. Ideally I'd like to do the trans on a budget, use it for a while and then when I have the money and time swap it for a manual trans like a T56.
I can understand why people like Cliff and Jake stopped selling kits though.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I see you are from Holland, so I don't know what your parts availability might be.

There are a number of kits available that do all of the clutches/steels/seals plus shift kit/dual feed/valve body upgrades.

When I did my 400, I just went to a trans shop for just the basics - clutches/steels/seals - to freshen up my tranny.

I don't think you need all of the hardcore racing/upgrade stuff for a stock or even mildly modified motor. The 400 is pretty beefy, and simple to rebuild. It's easier than a TH350. And especially if you plan on moving to a manual shift someday soon.

I'd consider the B&M 20229 or a similar kit from TCI or TransGo. They all sell kits that have clutches/steels/seals/shift improvement.

And the Ron Sessions TH400 book is a great source of info when rebuilding.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:57 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
I see you are from Holland, so I don't know what your parts availability might be.

There are a number of kits available that do all of the clutches/steels/seals plus shift kit/dual feed/valve body upgrades.

When I did my 400, I just went to a trans shop for just the basics - clutches/steels/seals - to freshen up my tranny.

I don't think you need all of the hardcore racing/upgrade stuff for a stock or even mildly modified motor. The 400 is pretty beefy, and simple to rebuild. It's easier than a TH350. And especially if you plan on moving to a manual shift someday soon.

I'd consider the B&M 20229 or a similar kit from TCI or TransGo. They all sell kits that have clutches/steels/seals/shift improvement.

And the Ron Sessions TH400 book is a great source of info when rebuilding.
thanks for the info.

I've done two th400 stock rebuilds before using a kit I bought from Rockauto. Those still live. I'm confident I can do another one, this time with a few mods. I was just wondering about different rebuild kits.

Whatever I'm going to buy I'll buy it in the US and have it shipped over here, that usually works out a lot cheaper then buying local.