Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 04-14-2011, 10:05 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i have a Dyno appt. on the 18th. after reading this i bought a 1" super sucker. it wil be interesting to see what it does.

1964 corvette roadster
1968 corvette roadster
1962 corvette

"equal rights, not equal things"
if you want to know the future, read "atlas shrugged"

I dont race a 4spd because it is easy, I race a 4spd because it is hard.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Craig. I used on of your cams in a 455 build in '76. Whatever the RAIV copy was. Ran fantastic. Several years ago I found an unused set of your tri-Y headers in a swap meet and grabbed them ($75) knowing they would get used somewhere/sometime in the future. I ended up using them on my '73 Trans Am Turbo build by shortening the 2 inch secondaries Blah blah bah. But they worked fantastic for me. I wished I had them back but I sold the car with them. I still have all your books/catalogs, even the 350/326 additonal book. I remember pouring over those pages, and the M/P 326 was just a dream for me. Anywho, just wanted to say thank you for all you two did for us. Ok, enough grovelling. Thank you for all you did. Mark L

Old 04-14-2011, 10:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

How do you think the Rocket box would work in a boosted situation? Other than extra plenum do you think it would make any difference? Just wondering. This would be a blow thru carb setup. Mark L

Old 04-14-2011, 12:17 PM
Pontiac performance Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtanner View Post
thank you!!! for the great info and complete explanation!!! unfortunatly for me its mostly greek, except for the part about installing the cool ass looking box w the ho sticker and picking up 20hp and setting records, i savvy that part real good!!!! now most importantly when are you going to start making em again when can i get one and how much is gonna cost!!!!! thats all i really need to know!!! im no rocket scientist, but i do have a doctorate in swapping parts and track testing!!!! hahahahahah!!!! seriously i want one!!!!!!
In a conversation with Art Peterson last night, he directed me to the following "Torque-flow carburetor spacer" #3213 for QJet by Hamburger's Performance. I cannot find any useful description of WHY it would work, but it looks very similar to the "Rocket Box" and would be an interesting place to start. The main drawback is that it is only 1in thick (#3212 for Holley square bore is 2in thick). If anyone tries this, post how it works.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marks73ta View Post
How do you think the Rocket box would work in a boosted situation? Other than extra plenum do you think it would make any difference? Just wondering. This would be a blow thru carb setup. Mark L
Boost makes up for a lot of inlet deficiencies of course. A 'Rocket Box" spacer should help. See post #64 for a possible 1in example.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Caig, after I posted I realized that you are talking about this to help with a spreadbore based carb. Neither the Q-Jet or a Holley spreadbore is a good candidate for blow thru so it probably would not even be a situation. But in a N/A--nitrous situation and a spreadbore I can see it really working. I've always been a big proponent for large plenums in a race situation so I can see the "BOX" as beeing a big help in that alone. Mark l

Old 04-17-2011, 04:05 PM
Pontiac Performance Author

A Q-Jet isn't a good candidate for a Spread bore ??

Old 04-17-2011, 04:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you want to explore this even further just ask Butler about effects of intake flows on natural aspirated motors with intake turtle's
http://www.jbp-pontiac.com/products/...s/turtles.html

Old 04-17-2011, 06:17 PM
Pontiac Performance Author

OOps I meant blow thru-not "spread bore"

Old 04-17-2011, 06:47 PM
Boost Engineer

I think that IF you know what you are doing you can make a Q-Jet work just fine under boost in a Blow-Thru application. Ken C would be the guy to talk to about doing it right, IMO.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN CROCIE View Post
OOps I meant blow thru-not "spread bore"
Who'd want to do something crazy like blow-thru a QJet??? Never mind, I don't want to encourage more thread drift than there already is. :-)

Ken was only one of a handful of guys who knew the design and interior shape of the "Rocket Box" from inception until recently. There were also more "secrets" in the H-O 455SD SS/KA national record holder than have been generally disclosed. Ken was responsible for one and contributed to others. He was General Manager of H-O Racing during that time for good reasons. Thanks, Ken!

Last edited by Craig Hendrickson; 04-17-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazzz2 View Post
If you want to explore this even further just ask Butler about effects of intake flows on natural aspirated motors with intake turtle's
http://www.jbp-pontiac.com/products/...s/turtles.html
Where's the tech article?

I never tried a "turtle", but I can appreciate how it would have merit since air/fuel does not like to make hard angle turns.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
I think that IF you know what you are doing you can make a Q-Jet work just fine under boost in a Blow-Thru application. Ken C would be the guy to talk to about doing it right, IMO.
No truer words were ever posted here. HP/TQ numbers speak for themselves.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ild/index.html

Old 04-17-2011, 09:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just don't confuse Ken Crocie with Ken C of KRE racing.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to Cartman TD

With the huge popularity and growing interest in "old speed parts"; have you ever thought about maybe having someone make reproductions of the "Rocket Box"? I know it wouldnt be practical for street use, but i think a lot of racers could definately get a ton of use out of it. I dont have a race car, but I would still buy one, if for nothing else to have a copy of an awesome piece of Pontiac history. I am sure just about everyone that has posted under this topic would probably buy one. I think it would be awesome to finally see something new (can i still call it new? ) come around in the way of carb spacers.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i know you spec'd this out to work with the torquer I intake, would it work as well on a warrior/ doug nash intake?
i have a D-port 455 i am thinking about running in a 74 S/S body and was thinking of using a warrior intake. i do have a untouched torquer I, and a victor sitting around just incase.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971WARBIRD View Post
i know you spec'd this out to work with the torquer I intake, would it work as well on a warrior/ doug nash intake?
i have a D-port 455 i am thinking about running in a 74 S/S body and was thinking of using a warrior intake. i do have a untouched torquer I, and a victor sitting around just incase.
You are thinking of using a QJet carb, right?

Please post pictures of the mount flange of each and the dimensions of the Dominator bolt hole center-to-center and current plenum opening. Within 1/16in is good enough for now. Also, how thick could the spacer be, i.e., how much vertical height is available between the mount flange and bottom of the carb base?

Old 04-19-2011, 04:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi Craig, thanks for divulging this info, much appreciated

How do you think the 80% bell applies to other media ie Water as opposed to compressible gases under pressure (rocket) or Vac (intake manifold)

Slight hijack here but related I am sure

We uitilise a "straight" tapered exit nozzle in different diameters in our jet unit. I have been searching for years on examples of different COD for nozzles using water to generate / maximise thrust but to no avail.

A typical nozzle would be 115mm dia and we would see 170 psi throught it at WOT (6400 RPM)

Heres a quick link to what what it does (my boat, Pontiac Powered of course !!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ffCw0rR8pI

Old 04-19-2011, 09:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalHO View Post
Where's the tech article?

I never tried a "turtle", but I can appreciate how it would have merit since air/fuel does not like to make hard angle turns.
I'm not aware of an article for this, however Butler sells them and I just finished discussing (by happenstance) this "turtle" with my engine builder the other night...

We are building a 474 with a set of CV-1 heads and discussing the air-flow of an early CV-1 intake manifold and it's effects (anticipated) and the turtle was something he felt could really assist in directing/balancing air flows within the runners.. As stated N/A air doesn't like hard angles/ bouncing on the floor and the internals on the intake design just had us thinking out loud..... Wilson also does the intake spacers that effect air flows (not sure about Q-jet app's though)

Butler sells the turtle product,,, so I'm sure he as a master builder could shed better light on this if you called him.....

Old 04-19-2011, 12:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry I should have specified a Q-Jet is not a good candidate for a really high HP blow thru. Only because of the small fuel well/bowl and inlet area. I (just me) do not believe it can flow enough fuel thru the single inlet. No doubt that it can work on a moderate (700-900) hp setup. Sorry for the confusion. My opinion only. Mark L