Old 04-16-2011, 01:37 PM

Default '67 buckets in an original '72 bench car?

i've been toying with the idea of putting buckets in the front of my wagon for some time now, but find it very hard to justify $2,200 for complete preassembled buckets for my '72 lemans, and with all the work my firebird needs, i'd rather spend money and search for parts for it instead until it's at least driveable. but just yesterday i remembered that years ago, my dad bought a '67 lemans project, which is now unfortunately long gone, and i still have the seats. the frames and tracks are reusable if i just give them a chemical bath or sandblast them, but the question is, will those '67 buckets bolt up to my wagon that has a bench seat?

since the floor boards need to be replaced anyway, i'm going to half-ass the installation by drilling holes big enough to have a bolt go through the floorboard and have a nut underneath the car to hold the seats in place, i'll do it right when i restore the car. but the contours of the floor boards is why i have to wonder whether or not it will work. plus, when buying the new seat covers, would it be possible to use '65 seat covers on the '67 frames? once again, i'll do it right when i restore the car, i've just always loved the '65 seat cover design with those diagonal stripes. doing this, i'd only have to pay for new covers and padding, which is a lot cheaper than repros or getting used seats to restore, so that's why i'm thinking of doing this now instead of waiting for the wagon's turn at a restoration.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

yes they will sork...66-72 are the same basic seat,,

you dont drill holes for bucket install, GM has a set of brackets that are welded to the floor for bucket to bolt to...just drilling a hole and bolting them up is dangerous..if your in a collision, and the car gets a hard hit..the bolts pull thru the floor....you dont want the seats flying around in the car with you in them during a hit

the aftermarket set brackets are cheap and safe...

Old 04-16-2011, 09:11 PM

ah, this is true, i didn't know they had brackets like that. but good, i may be able to do this seat change after all. thanks for the help!

Old 04-21-2011, 07:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can't use the '65 seat covers on a '67 bucket. Unless you or someone you know is a very good upholstery man.