Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 04-22-2011, 06:39 AM
Senior Chief

Default RA Manifolds and PYPES Downpipes

Did anyone that has this combo,have to do any modification to the PYPES downpipe in order to fit the flange correctly ?

IE,like triming of the pipe in order to fit more flush. This is in a '67 Coupe.

Thanks

Old 04-22-2011, 08:54 PM
Administrator

depending on when you got them, there were some Pypes downpipes produced that the lip was a little to wide. So when you tightened them, the lip would spread further and hit the sides of the studs before fully seated. Grinding the rim of the lips solves the problem.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:04 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccass View Post
depending on when you got them, there were some Pypes downpipes produced that the lip was a little to wide. So when you tightened them, the lip would spread further and hit the sides of the studs before fully seated. Grinding the rim of the lips solves the problem.
I just got them @ E-Town last week,I think they were made within the last month,at least going what was on the boxes as far as manufacture dates.

Thanks

Old 04-23-2011, 12:00 PM
Administrator

you should be fine then.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:00 PM
Senior Chief

I just checked the dates on the downpipes,it looks like they were made in 12/2010,the rest of the system was made in March 2011.
I also measured one of the flanges on the downpipe,it looks to be 7/16"-1/2" wide.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I got mine about 5 years ago......could this be one of reasons why I smell like exhaust fumes every time I drive my car? I always that the downpipes leaked, I often tried to tighten them, but was afraid I may break off the studs.

If my car is having this type of leak, could the leak be heard?

Old 04-25-2011, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mook View Post
I got mine about 5 years ago......could this be one of reasons why I smell like exhaust fumes every time I drive my car? I always that the downpipes leaked, I often tried to tighten them, but was afraid I may break off the studs.

If my car is having this type of leak, could the leak be heard?
It's certainly possible. You need to get the car on a lift and inspect that area. If there is a bunch of black soot, then you have a leak. That leak could be caused by what we have been talking about or your manifolds may be cracked or chipped causing the leak. If you have been driving with a leak for 5 years, I would think it would be driving you nuts. There is a distinct manifold leak sound that is very annoying.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:14 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
It's certainly possible. You need to get the car on a lift and inspect that area. If there is a bunch of black soot, then you have a leak. That leak could be caused by what we have been talking about or your manifolds may be cracked or chipped causing the leak. If you have been driving with a leak for 5 years, I would think it would be driving you nuts. There is a distinct manifold leak sound that is very annoying.
Thanks, not sure about the annoying sound, but at start up I can hear a leak and after warm up I hear exhaust from the front of the car.