67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:33 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Tires not centered in wheelwell

O.K. guys, I have seached the archives and either nobody else has this problem or I'm just too picky.

Car is a 1969 Firebird 400, car runs and drives straight, no tire wear problems, have aligned it.

When sitting on a flat floor the drivers side leading edge of the tire is a full half inch rearward in the wheelhouse as opposed to the pass. side.

I just put all new Eaton springs with an extra 1.5 inches of arch, all new bushings, new axle pads, new shackels,etc.

After all of this, same issue, I realize that to a degree you can loosen up the u-bolts and push the rear around a little until the spring centering pin hits the opening in the perch.

I am as far forward as I can go on the drivers side and as far back as I can go on the pass. side, half inch off in the opening on drivers side. Car sits within a 1/4 inch of level side to side.

This car is as clean as a whistle, shows no quarterpanel damage, also I have measured from the frame alignment holes to the rear shackle holes on both sides, it is right on.

I know that I can "fix" it by opening up the spring perch hole a little for more "adjustment" but I am just wondering is anyone else has run into this, or am I just anal.

Thanks Stan

Old 04-19-2011, 12:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you have a 4 wheel alignment check done? That may show if somethings off with the rear end location.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve v View Post
Did you have a 4 wheel alignment check done? That may show if somethings off with the rear end location.

Hey Steve, the alignment is fine the car drives well, I also had the chassis X measured and it is well within spec. Also have checked the rear housing to make sure it wasn't bent, it just bugs me because I know that it is off. I just wandered if anyone else had the problem.

I had a somewhat similar problem with a 1980 Firebird that I had where the rear sat offset in the car about a 3/4 to one side. I was told by several people that it was just a manufacturing tolerance.

But on this car I had max tires in the wheelwells and it would rub on one side, eventually I pulled the rear out, cut the leafsping pads off and rewelded them a 3/8 inch to the other side.

I just wanted to know if this also was a manufactures tolerance thing, and if anyone else had it in their car.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There is a half inch hole in center of the bottom shackle plate. The leaf springs have a pin or mark that the rubber cushions and leafs all align with. It is possible this is off and the u bolts are tightened off the mark.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:37 PM

Mine is a little different, but I had rubbing on one side in the front. Passenger side wheel/tire is 3/8 further out in the wheel well. I went to deeper back spacing on the front wheels and it solved the rubbing. But it still bugs me.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've had bent lower control arms cause this,do an X check from the grease zerk on the lower ball joint,if the arm is bent you should be able to find out by comparing one side to the other.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:50 AM
Senior Chief

Had the same problems on my bird and found this......