Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 05-14-2011, 01:10 PM

Default timing set problem

I have a small problem, I hope, that maybe someone can give me some input on The old roller timing set I took off of the cam end had a fairly thick brass washer or shim that fit over the snout in a recess at the back of the sprocket, the new JP had no brass shim and no recess but was built up to the same profile as the old one with the brass shim, none were in the package and no instructions came, so I thought it did not need it. After I installed the oval shaped cam retaining plate and the cam sprocket set all up etc. I went to tight the cam bolt to 45 #, once tightened I COULD NOT TURN the motor and it looks like the back of the sprocket is tight to the retaining plate. To me the old thick brass washer was sort of the bearing, the new one does not have. I believe I have 2 options, one see if they make very thin shims 10-15 thousands and install between the cam end and the end of the back of the sprocket or machine the stock cam retaining plate.

I am sure someone has come across this so any input would be appreciated. If there is something else I can do let me know or let me know were I can get shims which I believe measure 1.4375 dia. and have a key way.

Thanks in advance,
Deno

Old 05-14-2011, 07:21 PM
Suspended

pics would help.

I would return it to the manf' explaining your problem. maybe some QC issues,

Old 05-14-2011, 10:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

did you reinstall the fuel pump eccentric?

Old 05-14-2011, 10:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Time to start measuring everything...

Mic the thrust plate first,then use a vernier caliper to measure that "step" in both cam gears.

It should become pretty obvious,pretty quickly as to where the problem lies.

Also note that if the thrust plate is'nt lined up "just so" when you snug down the two bolts that hold it in place,the cam gear itself will often just "bite" the thrust plate between that "step" on the cam gear and the cam itself.

But usually you can see that visually when this happens.

Anyhow,make sure you lined up that thrust plate nicely before you install the cam gear.

FWIW

Bret P.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:56 AM

Will take apart and measure all components, yes I did instal the fuel pump two piece eccentric. Is it typical not to have the brass washer at the back of JP cam timing gear? Also I did install the distributer before really tightening the cam bolt, would this hang up anything?

I am a newbie at installing cam etc.

Thanks,
Deno

Old 05-15-2011, 11:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via Yahoo to Ken -Ace- Brewer

This has been happening alot lately! Me and the Dude discussed it! We are both seein it more. Has to be the Gears! I just belt sand the cam plate to make it thinner.

Ace

Old 05-15-2011, 04:58 PM

I started fresh removed all component and reinstalled "carefully" . When all bolted together and torqued to 40# I checked if all moved freely, IT DID, checked cam endplay and got .004 which I believe is good. I guess it takes patience and carefull assembly, double check all and do not miss steps.

Thanks for the input.

Deno