Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 04-19-2011, 04:32 PM
Senior Chief

Default "How to Make Your Muscle Car Handle", by Mark Savitske

Not sure if anyone has picked up a copy of Mark Savitske's new book, but I just got a copy in the mail. If anyone is interested in updating the suspension on their old Pontiacs, you NEED to get this book! This information contained within is well presented and easy to follow.

Chapters are as follows:

1) General Front End Geometry
2) General Rear Suspension Geometry
3) Springs, Rates and Shocks
4) Aftermarket Arms
5) Sway Bars
6) Wheels and Tires
7) Total Package
8) GM Muscle Cars
9) Ford Muscle Cars
10) Mopar Muscle Cars

A lot of the products featured in the book are those sold by Mark, but what can you expect? He obviously believes in what he sells, and for good reason. Many of us on the board have used his products and followed his advice with great results. Great book, Mark!

1967 Lemans: 455 swap in progress (stock crank, stock rods, TRW slugs, mildly ported 6x heads, Stump Puller hyd roller, 1.5 PRW aluminum rollers, Comp hyd roller lifters, Performer RPM, q-jet, RA exhaust manifolds, 2 1/2" exhaust, ebay HEI), 200 4R, and some suspension stuff
Old 04-19-2011, 08:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hadn't heard of him before. Thanks for the info.
Russ

Old 04-19-2011, 10:19 PM
Senior Chief

I have the book. I have learned a lot from it. Much of it I have read over and over till it sinks in. I put F Body spindles on my 70 GTO back in the late 80's. That was as hi tech as we could get back then. Everything has changed and the aftermarket has opened many doors for the performance minded muscle car owner. I really like this book and believe it was money well spent. I bought my book online at Borders for about 25 bucks.

Paul

Old 04-20-2011, 03:08 PM
Senior Chief

Amazon.com: $16.00

Although I haven't read the whole book yet, I don't see anything mentioned about body bushings, which is one of the things on my list to update. A section on brakes would have been great too, but maybe he's saving that for part two! Either way, great info.

Rossoborne, check out www.scandc.com. I think Mark (the author) is on the boards here sometimes.

1967 Lemans: 455 swap in progress (stock crank, stock rods, TRW slugs, mildly ported 6x heads, Stump Puller hyd roller, 1.5 PRW aluminum rollers, Comp hyd roller lifters, Performer RPM, q-jet, RA exhaust manifolds, 2 1/2" exhaust, ebay HEI), 200 4R, and some suspension stuff
Old 04-20-2011, 05:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks. Unfortunately, his stuff is out of my price range, but I am going to pick up the book soon I hope.

Now, if anyone knows of a "25 free or very very cheap ways to improve your 70 Lemans/GTO suspension" type of book, feel free to let me know. :-)
Russ

Old 04-22-2011, 02:42 AM

i have the book, good reading , i am using spindles off an Australian HQ Holden on my '66 GTO , and if i read it right they should be good for my geometry , they are an inch taller than gto they raise tie rod end about 3/4" and lower the car about 3/4" and have the same ball joint tapers, ..

Old 04-22-2011, 08:24 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowfarmer View Post
i have the book, good reading , i am using spindles off an Australian HQ Holden on my '66 GTO , and if i read it right they should be good for my geometry , they are an inch taller than gto they raise tie rod end about 3/4" and lower the car about 3/4" and have the same ball joint tapers, ..
Wow,now i gotta learn what a HQ Holden is,is that possibly the same base vehicle used for the attemp return of the GTO? Be interesting to see what those spindles look like and then the add on of brakes etc.Some months ago i actually called and spoke with Mark as i was inquiring about A-Arms. Very impressive guy as he was working in his warehouse and managed a in-depth conversation in which he went through the pros of how his equipment would bring old tech suspensions into the modern era.As he gave details it was obvious of how every piece added made a improvement.His stuff is obviusly above my pay grade as well as i was first attracted to his adjustable A-Arms which would simplify alignment.Those were the 1st i'd seen that way till i seen bmans SPC arms. Another thing that stood out to me and something i will try to utiliize is the use of low resistant ball joints.As Mark pointed out,if you try to flex a standard ball joint which can require more force to move as compared to his or other low resistant ball joints it's easy to understand how this could be an advantage in handling. A lot of this stuff is practically rocket science to me as i have -O- experince in suspensions,but i remember when i worked around nascar a little from the commercial side of things and had many ops to meet and be around Alan Kuwicki. He was a marvel to listen to and obvious was beyond my comprehension on much,but this made an impression to me that carries over as i try to start my project65. It's nice to see similiar talent on this forumn and i feel fortunate to read/learn a lot from many of you guys.Nuff Said.....later guys

3sp&3:08/10 boltPosi-Pwr Windows-Pwr Antenna
Silvermist w/BlackVinyl Top

http://s161.photobucket.com/albums/t201/dracowizard/65/
Old 04-22-2011, 01:48 PM
Senior Chief

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_HQ

Old 04-22-2011, 02:57 PM

here is a picture of the hq spindle and the aussie designed brake kit i put on them , VT holden hubs(4 3/4 stud) ,pbr twin piston calipers, 12" rotors, fits 15" wheel

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hq spindle.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	242106   Click image for larger version

Name:	hopper stopper kit.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	242107  

Old 04-22-2011, 08:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'd be interested in finding out more about the brake set-up for my '66. I like the 12" rotors fitting a 15" wheel.....not wanting to lower mine though.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for sharing the pics cowfarmer,lookes to be nice and i like the looks of the Holden after seeing some pics.Wild they claimed it to look like a cross between a camaro&chevelle.Ya know what.....It does!

3sp&3:08/10 boltPosi-Pwr Windows-Pwr Antenna
Silvermist w/BlackVinyl Top

http://s161.photobucket.com/albums/t201/dracowizard/65/
Old 05-10-2011, 12:14 PM

Unhappy

they looked loke what they destroyed in mad max...all those crazy intercepters chases! so are those spindal swaps better than the f-body spindal swap which i just finished doing?

Old 05-11-2011, 01:43 AM
Suspended

Fred puhn put out a similar book back in the 80's. very usefull and full of usefule technical advice and math for you smarter people.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontirag View Post
Fred puhn put out a similar book back in the 80's. very usefull and full of usefule technical advice and math for you smarter people.
I still have that book.

08 Torrent GXP (wife's)
09 G8 ST (UTE) black

A pissed off fat house chimp on dope would be a lot more deadly.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:56 PM
Suspended

many automoitve aftermarket industries today are flourishing due to the information published in thos books.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hmmm maybe I should go around and buy up all the HQ spindles I can find here, could be a market to sell back to all you US boys...lol.
I know a lot of people here in OZ already use HQ suspension parts in A body cars, mainly Chevelles.
I didn't think about it when I did the front end of my 69 goat, only found out later that the parts are interchangeable, and I work for Holden!