Old 05-22-2011, 09:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I can't tell what the heck is going on...I think I'm going to take it to a local speed shop and give them a list of gremlins to fix.

I've already talked with the interior guy that did my Nova, he's going to do the seats for me in a couple of months. I'm going to do the dash work and package tray when the seats are out.

Time to get this thing finished and just start driving and tinkering.

68' GTO 500+HP 10.25:1 #16 iron headed pump gas street motor...YES, it can be done!
Old 05-23-2011, 08:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hang in there, hopefully the guys at the shop can work it out quickly. As simple as they might seem brake problems can be a real bear to debug. But at least its not a Pontiac-specific thing.

"The best way to show a car is to drive it"
Old 05-23-2011, 01:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontGuy View Post
Hang in there, hopefully the guys at the shop can work it out quickly. As simple as they might seem brake problems can be a real bear to debug. But at least its not a Pontiac-specific thing.
Yeah, I'm taking it to them to avoid getting frustrated with the car. Most of what's wrong with it is my fault. I'm no good with electrical issues so this will hopefully get me going on cosmetics.

I drove it all weekend and I LOVE the way it drives and runs. Half pedal is more than enough to push you back in the seat. It's amazing how much more powerful this car is than my Nova was.

68' GTO 500+HP 10.25:1 #16 iron headed pump gas street motor...YES, it can be done!
Old 06-14-2011, 09:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Still in the shop, they're not rushing it as I told them to mess with it when they're slow...they were slow when I said that but now they've been busy.

I'm taking it to a car show this weekend whether they're done with it or not. I'm itching to drive it again!!!

Old 06-16-2011, 10:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The idiot lights now work, the battery is not being drained, the car starts when you bump the key...The Pypes Violators are gone and the Flowmaster 3 chambers are on it. What a deep mellow sound that thing makes now! The Quadrajet has been adjusted and the hesitation is much better. The brakes haven't been done yet, I'm going to take it home this weekend and drive it to a show on Saturday. I think I'm going to mix in some racing gas...just for the smell of it.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

With the crazy hot weather I've hardly had mine out of the garage- and its supposed to be up near 100 deg here every day for the next week. There's a car show tomorrow near me too. I may drive by for a few minutes but won't stay long.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:59 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
With the crazy hot weather I've hardly had mine out of the garage- and its supposed to be up near 100 deg here every day for the next week. There's a car show tomorrow near me too. I may drive by for a few minutes but won't stay long.
The weather forecast here is for 90 degrees so that's relatively cool from what it's been. I hate summer...I'm sure our northern friends would think that sounds crazy!

Old 06-17-2011, 03:09 PM

Great work! Just read through the pages...gave me a couple ideas on how to attack the basket case 69 I just bought!

1979 Pontiac Firebird-400/3 speed...The Nice Weather Driver
Old 06-17-2011, 04:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtomike72 View Post
Great work! Just read through the pages...gave me a couple ideas on how to attack the basket case 69 I just bought!
That's what this is all about! Welcome to PY!!

Post some pics of your car.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270win View Post
That's what this is all about! Welcome to PY!!

Post some pics of your car.
Thanks...been on here years ago under "72LeMans" but forgot my login info. Anyways, Ill post links for my other projects...I dont want to hijack your build thread but just wanted to say great work!!!

The 72 "GTO" being decloned at the moment now back to a numbers matching LeMans...

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=627472

And my build thread (just started) for my new project...

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=668652

1979 Pontiac Firebird-400/3 speed...The Nice Weather Driver
Old 06-18-2011, 07:23 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtomike72 View Post
Thanks...been on here years ago under "72LeMans" but forgot my login info. Anyways, Ill post links for my other projects...I dont want to hijack your build thread but just wanted to say great work!!!

The 72 "GTO" being decloned at the moment now back to a numbers matching LeMans...

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=627472

And my build thread (just started) for my new project...

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=668652
Thanks for the links! Looks like a great project!

Old 06-18-2011, 03:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This may seem way out of left field or spontaneous, but I'm thinking about selling the car. Not even sure what to ask for it, but figured that some of you guys might have a better idea of what kind of real money the car is worth. I'd rather a Pontiac guy get it. Any ideas on what it might be worth? You can PM me if you aren't comfortable with posting up numbers here...or if you're interested in the car.

Reason, I'm really the only one in our family that can justify the car and what I have tied up in it. I'm going to a car show today and I'm having to go by myself...that's okay to me, but if they had even a remote interest in the car they would all want to go. I've been thinking about it on and off but think it's the best for my wife and two daughters. I'll get something else when they get to the age that they don't want to hang out with me so much. But for now, they love hanging out with dad so I'm going to take advantage of that while I can. I'll still be working on it and will post updates until it sells.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow, that one's right out of the bleachers and in the nose-bleed section at that. Except for the brakes it sounds like you finally have the car ready to really drive.

I can relate though. A big car project can get to you at times- it seems like it is never really finished. And family-first is also a factor. When I bought my current "project" 13 years ago I did enough work to make it drive and look respectable, then just toyed with it for years while getting the kids out of high school, college, and out on their own. If it were me I would work to get the brakes fixed and then set it aside for a while and think about it.

My wife loves riding in the Lemans, and every now and then she will take it out for a spin, but go to a car show- never!

Walt

Old 06-18-2011, 07:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Wow, that one's right out of the bleachers and in the nose-bleed section at that. Except for the brakes it sounds like you finally have the car ready to really drive.

I can relate though. A big car project can get to you at times- it seems like it is never really finished. And family-first is also a factor. When I bought my current "project" 13 years ago I did enough work to make it drive and look respectable, then just toyed with it for years while getting the kids out of high school, college, and out on their own. If it were me I would work to get the brakes fixed and then set it aside for a while and think about it.

My wife loves riding in the Lemans, and every now and then she will take it out for a spin, but go to a car show- never!

Walt
Yeah, I went to that show...there 15 minutes when the massive thunderstorm hit! It does drive really nice...second thoughts??? Yes, but if someone wants it and the price is right I will let it go. I can tell you already, I'll regret it no matter how much it brings.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Brandon, just put the thing away in your shop and throw a cover on it for a while. Don't fool with it at all for 6 months or so. This will do at least three things for you.
It'll give you the time you want to spend with family.
It will give you a chance to see what life will be like if you no longer own it.
It will give you a chance to recover from the obvious burnout you're suffering.

Personally, I think by next spring, you'll be glad you still have it.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post

Personally, I think by next spring, you'll be glad you still have it.

I agree, just put it away for awhile. I did the same thing during the body work phase. I turned the body vertical on the rottisseri, moved it out of the way and threw a cover on it. I didn't look at it for a year. By then I saved a little more money and had a fresh outlook on the project....... If you really need the money though, that's a different story and sometimes can't be helped......

Frame off (resto mod) 68 GTO - 406, 0-deck, E-Head home port 87cc, TRW L2279F30, Comp. flat solid .577/.577 - 248/248@.050 110LS. 700R4, Precision Industries 3 disc 10" lockup 3500rpm, Moser 9" 4.11, Detroit Locker.

Last edited by goatman-68; 06-20-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I can appreciate where you guys are coming from. It's not about needing money or even being able to finish the car...I may have to do that to be able to get good money out of it anyway. It's really not about being burned out on the car or hot rods either. I'd actually like to keep the car if I'm totally transparent about it. It's about the amount of money and time I have invested in something that's pretty much only for my enjoyment. We want a bigger camper, a nicer boat and the whole family likes and uses these things. Our other toys have no where near the same kind of money and time invested in them that this car does.

It's probably a moot point anyway, finding someone that can come up with the cash for this car is going to be a challenge in this market to say the least...

Old 06-22-2011, 11:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, I stay away from 'what's it worth' threads because I always seem to be way off what everyone else seems to think.
I'll say this though, you'll probably lose a bunch of money on a very nice car. I wish I could get it. For some reasons, '68s seem to be the least desirable except for a select few of us.
Run it on ebay with a high reserve just to test the waters.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Well, I stay away from 'what's it worth' threads because I always seem to be way off what everyone else seems to think.
I'll say this though, you'll probably lose a bunch of money on a very nice car. I wish I could get it. For some reasons, '68s seem to be the least desirable except for a select few of us.
Run it on ebay with a high reserve just to test the waters.
It's funny, I think the 68 with the hideaways is the most aggressive looking GTO made...but that's just me.

I'm not really marketing the car real hard at this point...I have a guy that is interested, I'd lose about $5K if I take his offer.

From what I've seen selling on ebay, that's the cheapest place in the world to buy classic cars...if that's all its worth, i'll just keep it.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270win View Post
... I'd lose about $5K if I take his offer....

From what I've seen selling on ebay, that's the cheapest place in the world to buy classic cars...if that's all its worth, i'll just keep it.
That's what I'm saying. It's really not going to cost you any more if you just let it sit for a while. I know for a fact that if I sold mine, I couldn't get my money back out of it...and then there's all the sweat equity you have in it...To let someone else get all the joy out of it? Not me. I'll put mine in the basement first.