Old 06-20-2011, 01:26 PM

Default Installing windows

My next challenge will be installing the rear quarter windows; the doors are not yet on the body so they will be a while yet.

Is there any advice or clues to how to do this properly and without breaking the window or cutting of my fingers and slitting my wrists (probably in that order)?

All fasteners were kept with their specific parts so that won’t be a nightmare, but someone did neglect to take pictures on disassembly!

"Buffy" 1969 Firebird vert (mine) Not a clean one owner. Born Carousel Red, 350 2bbl, A/T, P/S, P/B, A/C. Now, Primer gray. Will have a 400, 5 sp, P/S, P/B, A/C, Black with carousel red pin stripes.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's actually a piece of cake, especially if you took pics before disassembling. j/k

1. If the fuzzies or the U-channel weatherstriping is there, remove them. Some also take the air vent out of the door jamb so they can get a hand in from front.

2. Get the tracks in the 1/4 panels and more-or-less lined up to accept the glass.

3. Slide the glass in through the U-channel. Do this with the lower plate and rollers installed on the glass itself.

4. Index the rollers into the tracks.

5. Bolt everything together using the marks from the disassembly as a good starting point.

6. Do not bother final adjusting anything glass-wise until all the outer fuzzies, U-channel seals, door weather stripping, etc is installed and the doors close correctly and lined up perfectly.

462 cid/ 6x-4/ TH400/ 3.36:1/ 28x10.5/ 3880#/ 12.35 @ 109.36/ 1.69 60 ft/ 4 wheel disc brakes/ 15 mpg
Old 06-20-2011, 11:09 PM

Thanks for the advice Racer, I do appreciate all the help I can get. The week of research I do between steps is paying off, we work on the car on Friday, Saturday and Sundays and at the end of the day Sunday we decide what we will tackle next week. This coming weekend is seat upholstery and rear quarter windows. 2 guys, 6 hours a day, 3 days gives us 36 hours a weekend to get er done. My dad works rreeaallllyy ssllooww though, sometimes I get impatient. He said I would never let the paint dry on my models when I was a kid. He has a large model of the Cutty Sark sailing vessel that he started 35 years ago, it is about 75% completed…I think the paint is dry!

"Buffy" 1969 Firebird vert (mine) Not a clean one owner. Born Carousel Red, 350 2bbl, A/T, P/S, P/B, A/C. Now, Primer gray. Will have a 400, 5 sp, P/S, P/B, A/C, Black with carousel red pin stripes.

Last edited by Goat & Chicken Farmer; 06-20-2011 at 11:14 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree with PMDRacer's comments and will add this: In order to get the 1/4 glass into the quarter itself required some effort. IIRC, I held the glass properly oriented just above the quarter, then spun it 180 degrees to finesse it in place and spin it around once inside the quarter.

Hope that helps.

-Matt

Old 06-21-2011, 10:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat & Chicken Farmer View Post
He has a large model of the Cutty Sark sailing vessel that he started 35 years ago, it is about 75% completed…I think the paint is dry!
OMG... Your old man and mine ought to go bowling! My dad is the same way. We have a saying for it - "I do ONE THING, I do it VERY WELL, and then I move on."

462 cid/ 6x-4/ TH400/ 3.36:1/ 28x10.5/ 3880#/ 12.35 @ 109.36/ 1.69 60 ft/ 4 wheel disc brakes/ 15 mpg
Old 06-22-2011, 08:58 AM
Senior Chief

If you need pictures, I could help out. I'm pretty sure the 71 convert is the same as a 71 HT
Matt

Old 06-22-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter98TA View Post
If you need pictures, I could help out. I'm pretty sure the 71 convert is the same as a 71 HT
Matt
Pictures are good...send pics!

Old 06-23-2011, 08:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One more thing... If new, take the outer fuzzies and verify that the holes all line up before installing the windows.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:55 PM

subscribing because I have to do this same thing next week and I have all that area gutted and no pictures and its been 9 months since i disassembled it.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitOrange View Post
subscribing because I have to do this same thing next week and I have all that area gutted and no pictures and its been 9 months since i disassembled it.
The best advice I can give if you have absolutely no clue how it goes back together is to remove the lower rail & rollers setup from the glass and then install the whole thing that way.

Once you get it all together and more-or-less in the right place it will be really easy to remove the lower rail and rollers from the tracks, reattach the glass and reinstall.

If you use a strip of masking tape on the glass and then mark the tape and the lower rail with a Sharpie you will be able to reattach the rail to the glass in the exact same position.

The good thing is that you only have to remove the lower rails on one side. Once you've mastered the one side, the other will be a piece of cake.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:23 AM
Senior Chief

Sorry about that guys.

If you bare with me for a few more days, I'll do the "tear-down" and take pics along the way. I have to take it apart anyway to fine tune the fitment of the glass.

I plan to do it on Tuesday.

Matt

Old 07-03-2011, 12:52 PM

No problem. Im just glad someone is willing to help!

Old 07-03-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMDRACER View Post
One more thing... If new, take the outer fuzzies and verify that the holes all line up before installing the windows.
Outer Fuzzies (Window seals) are new, not PY, made in Taiwan and the screw holes don’t line up and the radius sucks. Was all ready to install the rear windows after waiting for parts to arrive (10 days) and we get Taiwan parts that don’t fit. Does PY have the same part as Ames or is it better quality?

Also, can the rear quarter window trim (stainless piece) be installed with the window installed or is it best to install that first? I figured soapy water would be best to lube the seal before pushing it onto the window. I’ve never done this before. Thanks for any help!

Old 07-03-2011, 11:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat & Chicken Farmer View Post
Outer Fuzzies (Window seals) are new, not PY, made in Taiwan and the screw holes don’t line up and the radius sucks. Was all ready to install the rear windows after waiting for parts to arrive (10 days) and we get Taiwan parts that don’t fit. Does PY have the same part as Ames or is it better quality?

Also, can the rear quarter window trim (stainless piece) be installed with the window installed or is it best to install that first? I figured soapy water would be best to lube the seal before pushing it onto the window. I’ve never done this before. Thanks for any help!
The fuzzies I got from PY were pure crap. They weren't bent correctly and when I inquired about it, PY shuffled me off to talk to PUI. PUI told me I was 'too picky' and 'should probably find a set of NOS'.

I ended up sending them back and getting a set from someone else (I think OPGI) but the holes were wrong. I ended up drilling holes in the car to make it fit.

As for the chrome piece on the 1/4 window, that was just short of a NIGHTMARE. I did mine on the car. I would suggest doing it off the car, in your living room, on the carpet. That way you can use the rubber mallet and not worry about the glass.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0416081131.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	248540   Click image for larger version

Name:	0416081131a.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	248541  

Old 07-03-2011, 11:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Oh, and to append my previous post -

I will NEVER purchase anything from PUI ever again. Unfortunately, Legendary wasn't an option when I rebuilt my '71. Wish it had been.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMDRACER View Post
Oh, and to append my previous post -

I will NEVER purchase anything from PUI ever again. Unfortunately, Legendary wasn't an option when I rebuilt my '71. Wish it had been.
I'm a little confused about these suppliers so maybe you could help or I can post a new thread; dad has bought pretty much everything from Ames, (his $$$) I have tried to get him to try PY since I creep around here and get FREE advice, to no avail. Most of the product we have gotten has been good, we got legendary seat covers and they look great, even though I ripped one of the seams trying to pull the corner on. (got it repaired for $70) The two rear quarter trim panels were the wrong pattern (returned for the correct) So far, the only thing I don’t like are the Made in Taiwan parts. (Fuzzies and a few seat trim screws) What is PUI vs Legendary vs PY vs Ames vs ??? Some of the stuff we got in our last Ames order had more than one part # on it and one item had what looked like an In-line Tube Tag inside, (cant remember what it was) we got most of our chassis stuff from In-line Tube.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:45 AM
Senior Chief

I'm running into some health problems that has prevented me from getting to the car. I'll do my best to get them done this week.
matt

Old 07-06-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter98TA View Post
I'm running into some health problems that has prevented me from getting to the car. I'll do my best to get them done this week.
matt
I think you posted this here accidently.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Senior Chief

No i did not. I had promised to take pictures yesterday and post them for everyone. I did not have the strength to get to working on the car to take it apart.

I might be able to get there tomorrow and take the pictures I promised you.
matt

Old 07-06-2011, 03:01 PM

10-4 Matt, sorry I didnt put 2 and 2 together. Certainly dont strain your health, these Pontiwrecks are easier to work on when you feel good!