Old 07-06-2011, 03:10 PM
Senior Chief

No problem!
it sucks to get old!!!

Old 07-07-2011, 04:00 PM
Senior Chief

Are there certain views you guys need to see? I have started the teardown and don't want to take a lot of worthless pics, only the ones that will help you guys out.

Let me know what your needs are. I am NOT a professional shutterbug so you might have to bare with me.
matt

Old 07-08-2011, 07:40 PM

I don't mean to hijack a thread but this is a related topic and anyone replacing a quarter window will probably be replacing the weatherstrip too. I only need to replace the quarter window weatherstrip. By this I mean the seal that goes on the front of the quarter window and forms a seal with the back edge of the door window. The rubber fits into a stainless steel channel. Any advice on how to install these? Do I need to remove the windows or can it be done with the windows in the car?

1983 Buick S&S Hearse, cheap transportation and parts hauler
1967 Buick GS 400 4speed
Old 07-09-2011, 12:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRC View Post
I don't mean to hijack a thread but this is a related topic and anyone replacing a quarter window will probably be replacing the weatherstrip too. I only need to replace the quarter window weatherstrip. By this I mean the seal that goes on the front of the quarter window and forms a seal with the back edge of the door window. The rubber fits into a stainless steel channel. Any advice on how to install these? Do I need to remove the windows or can it be done with the windows in the car?
If you are leaving the chrome strip attached, it's a piece of cake. Look carefully at the very bottom of the rubber strip for a screw. Remove the phillips screw and the rubber strip will slide out.

Depending on certain things, you may need to remove the U-channel weatherstrip end so you have enough room to get the rubber strip out.

462 cid/ 6x-4/ TH400/ 3.36:1/ 28x10.5/ 3880#/ 12.35 @ 109.36/ 1.69 60 ft/ 4 wheel disc brakes/ 15 mpg
Old 07-09-2011, 10:55 PM

Any pics that you provide I will be grateful for. My quarters are gutted so I have to install every piece.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:51 PM

Thanks, PMDRACER. I will look for the phillips screw. My chrome strips are in good shape so I intend to leave then on the windows.

1983 Buick S&S Hearse, cheap transportation and parts hauler
1967 Buick GS 400 4speed
Old 07-11-2011, 03:03 PM
Senior Chief

Again I apologize for the delay.

Here is the start of the pictures. I really do NOT want to take the window out but I will guide anyone as to how it all goes together.

If anyone needs to call me you can reach me at 856-213-5121. I work from home so I am around all the time.

I need to run out and get more batteries for the camera. More will follow BUT I STRONGLY suggest that you post here or call me if you need a specific picture.
Matt

Old 07-11-2011, 03:28 PM

Thanks for the pictures, is that the factory color?

"Buffy" 1969 Firebird vert (mine) Not a clean one owner. Born Carousel Red, 350 2bbl, A/T, P/S, P/B, A/C. Now, Primer gray. Will have a 400, 5 sp, P/S, P/B, A/C, Black with carousel red pin stripes.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:38 PM
Senior Chief

yes but the outside is now Lamborghini Orange with a pearl base coat.

it was a 2bbl, 350, auto, my son bought for $700 when he was 14 (now 29). Surprisingly it had very little rust throughout the whole car. the trunk didn't have a spec of rust and only the drivers floor had 3 pin holes of rust. However the rear qtrs were pretty mangled. All new now though.

Also with the exception of the seat covers and dash pad the entire interior is original and only needed some cleaning.

If I need to I will dismantle the windows and take pics of it if it helps everyone.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:42 PM

Geez, you dont have to dont take anything apart for my or anyones sake but your own. There are many sources and ways to figure out re-assembly, unless you just need an excuse to work on the car.

"Buffy" 1969 Firebird vert (mine) Not a clean one owner. Born Carousel Red, 350 2bbl, A/T, P/S, P/B, A/C. Now, Primer gray. Will have a 400, 5 sp, P/S, P/B, A/C, Black with carousel red pin stripes.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:50 PM
Senior Chief

it doesn't bother me to do it for others sake.

If it helps someone, then I'm cool with it. I get the most satisfaction from helping people who don't expect it. I've gone out of my way many times in life, the most recent with cars is with P Rod, another member here.

I drove about 70 miles on a Saturday to help with his windows before a car show. I never met him before and I felt great driving home after helping him and his son.
matt

Old 07-11-2011, 10:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you're R&Ring the quarter glass stainless trim that carries the weatherstrip that seals the rear vertical edge of the door glass, I have a tip on replacement..

I had to switch everything over due to changing from clear to soft ray glass, and learned a decent way to carefully press the Stainless into place. Do not use any hammers!

I first removed the rubber weatherstrip from the stainless and worked only with the stainless, the rubber mounting tape, and the glass.

I took approximately 2' of 2" X 4" lumber and placed this on the ground. Then, I placed the stainless on the wood, oriented the rubber on the glass and carefully pressed the glass into the channel using my body weight.

If I recall correctly, you have to line up and start at the top, then everything should be in the right location.

I used thick leather gloves and protective eyewear in case the glass shattered.

Good luck,

-Matt

Old 07-11-2011, 10:21 PM

Hmmm, Thanks for the tip! you just did it dry?

Old 07-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Seems like I remember slathering on the soapy water.. something about always using lube!

Old 07-11-2011, 11:51 PM

Im not going to ask you to completely tear it apart. But I am going to hang onto your phone number. Im taking my car back to the paint this coming weekend and when I get it back from paint I will be reinstalling my quarter windows and regulators. Thats when you might receive a call from Alabama. Unless you wanta drive to Alabama! HA HA! Just kidding about the driving to Alabama part but theres a strong posibility I might give you a call. I do have my assembly manual but man that thing is hard to make out sometimes since the pictures are so old and the quality is poor. The pictures you took will get me started.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:17 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitOrange View Post
Im not going to ask you to completely tear it apart. But I am going to hang onto your phone number. Im taking my car back to the paint this coming weekend and when I get it back from paint I will be reinstalling my quarter windows and regulators. Thats when you might receive a call from Alabama. Unless you wanta drive to Alabama! HA HA! Just kidding about the driving to Alabama part but theres a strong posibility I might give you a call. I do have my assembly manual but man that thing is hard to make out sometimes since the pictures are so old and the quality is poor. The pictures you took will get me started.

No problem at all. I'll let me wife, Patti, know that a call might come in from there. What is the area code of your phone? that way we will make sure to answer it.

I know about the Assembly Manual. That's why I'm offering this help.
matt

Old 07-14-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter98TA View Post
No problem at all. I'll let me wife, Patti, know that a call might come in from there. What is the area code of your phone? that way we will make sure to answer it.

I know about the Assembly Manual. That's why I'm offering this help.
matt
AREA CODE 256

Old 08-16-2011, 11:11 AM
Senior Chief

OrbitOrange
I'm going to need to start putting this thing back together. How close are you to doing yours?

I can hold off until the end of the month. After that we'll have to rely on my memory. And that's a scary thought!!

matt

Old 08-16-2011, 06:18 PM

I actually have 1 back in as of last week. Rolls up and down fine. I might have some questions about the trim and the little brackets that keep the glass aligned, at a later date.

I noticed that when I roll the windows up they dont seem to align, door and quarter glass. But I might leave that to the guy thats going to do my headliner he said he can adjust those.

Thanks for the pictures and help Hunter98TA