Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-26-2011, 11:19 PM

Default Why is my thottle sticking?

I'm having a time with my '75 Trans Am! The throttle sticks when the car is running. I have tried several springs and a new accelerater cable. When I play with the linkage by hand with the engine off it snaps back smartly but when I start the car it will never return, it just stops at the last place you set it either by hand or with peddle. I am a novice and am stumped. Please help if possible!
Thanks, Tim

Old 07-27-2011, 04:57 AM
Suspended

I have found that a gun lubricant called break free is wonderfull for lubing up carbs. They sell it in an aerosol spray form and it works wonderfully on rusty or sooted up thermal choke mechanisms.

speaking of which, your automatic choke might be holding the throttle in a warm up position.

spritz it with break free and let the car warm up and see if she still sticks.

poke around on this site and search for carb subjects, there are a few good carb guys who you will find on here who wil help you further.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If the carb is fairly high mileage the throttle shaft my be loose in the base plate too needing a throttle shaft bushing kit installed. This causes the butterflies to cock in the throttle bores not allowing it to return to idle. Cliff Ruggles sells the kit to restore the base plate by drilling it oversize and installing bushings

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 07-27-2011, 11:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
If the carb is fairly high mileage the throttle shaft my be loose in the base plate too needing a throttle shaft bushing kit installed. This causes the butterflies to cock in the throttle bores not allowing it to return to idle. Cliff Ruggles sells the kit to restore the base plate by drilling it oversize and installing bushings
X2 I had the same deal on my 75, I did not get it right until I got my other carb back from CLIFF, but now on my new engine I think It's going to want/need another CLIFF tune up. as He did it up so well and now I made BIG changes with the new engine(or as my mother inlaw call's The pretty one) still on the stand not in car yet...LOL

[
Old 07-27-2011, 01:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Also check the throttle cable for a broken strand. That may be catching on the outer shield.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Do you have the stock shaker/air cleaner set up on there yet? If not check to make sure the linkage isn't hitting the air cleaner.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:27 PM

I just replaced the throttle cable prior to starting this thread. As for it hitting my shaker, it is not. I have been taking it off to work on it so there is no interference. I really think the key point here is why does it do it only when car is running? Could induction vacuum pull or bind something? I should also mention it is a replacement type Edelbrock. Thanks so much form replying I appreciate you guy's willingness to help. Tim

Old 07-27-2011, 02:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Alaska. I suspect its frozen! Check for bunched up mats and carpet catching it from inside. Is your cruise control activated-bad brake switch?

Old 07-27-2011, 10:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So, it only sticks when running. Will it stick when pulling the throttle back by hand? If I had to guess, there is something really worn in the throttle shaft area and the vacuum of the engine is causing it to bind in it's bore.

66 GTO Convertible. LS3-525 HP. Legend LGT700 5-speed, Wilwood 4-wheel disc brakes, Ridetech coil over front susp, PMT rear susp, Hotchkis bars, Billet Specialties 18" Dagger's (18X9 rear, 18X8 front).
2002 Ram Air WS.6 convertible Trans Am. Wife's car.