The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 10-14-2011, 11:35 AM
Senior Chief

Default 1969 GTO Gas Tank Mod

I seen a pic on here of a stock gas tank that had a sump pickup welded on the back of it. I was wondering if someone is doing this here or are they for sale some where. Any body know.
Thanks

Old 10-14-2011, 04:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Not sure about them being for sale. I think I remember seeing them somewhere but I have worked on so many different cars the last 6 years I can't always keep them straight.

But a good radiator shop should be able to do the welding. Just look for one that does gas tank repairs.
Russ

Old 10-14-2011, 08:25 PM

Here's a link to a member who has done a lot of work on his goat... Bear takes great pictures and can provide good info on how he did it. You'll have to dig through the photos a bit to get to the fuel tank sump, but it's worth the effort. I think the tank photos are about half way through the process. One photo attached in this posting.

BearGFR's pics...

You can also buy a sump at Summit or Jeggs and either weld it yourself or have someone do it for you.

Buying a sumped tank new is significantly more expensive! I'm looking forward to doing this to our GTO in the not too distant future. Good luck with your project.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3249.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	260053  

Old 10-14-2011, 08:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

whats the purpose of this mod?

Old 10-16-2011, 11:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I'm curious too.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:31 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO JONES View Post
I seen a pic on here of a stock gas tank that had a sump pickup welded on the back of it. I was wondering if someone is doing this here or are they for sale some where. Any body know.
Thanks
That picture that you saw may have been my modified tank sump for a 1967 A-body. The part is Aeromotive #18650. It's listed for an out of sight $159.99 by JEGS. I paid $80.00 dollars for this part years ago and after seeing it I believed I could construct my own. But I digress. I used a BRAND NEW TANK from PY and welded it up for a HPDE project car that life has intervened on.

I will provide links for you and if you have any questions please ask. Good luck on your project.

http://aeromotiveinc.com/wp-content/...9/12/18650.pdf

http://www.jegs.com/i/Aeromotive/027/18650/10002/-1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sumped tank.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	260316   Click image for larger version

Name:	sumped tank 2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	260317  

Old 10-17-2011, 10:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytnyt View Post
I was curious too...so I looked it up. Here's what I found...
Quote:
There are two good reasons for going through the trouble of installing a gas tank sump. First, by moving the pickup from the center to the rear of the tank floor, straight-line acceleration forces will cause gasoline to rush toward the pickup instead of away from it for interruption-free delivery to the thirsty motor. Second, the amount of fuel carried in the tank can be greatly reduced without fear of running dry. Remember, gasoline weighs between 6 and 7 pounds per gallon, and the low sump and pickup location should allow safe delivery for quarter-mile jaunts with as few as 5 gallons in the tank rather than the half-tank generally regarded as the safe minimum with the stock pickup location. That’s a potential weight savings of nearly 35 pounds in a typical 20-gallon tank. Also, sumping your stock gas tank is a less invasive and more stock-looking alternative to adding a full-race fuel cell.
Makes perfect sense once you know why...lol

Old 10-17-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stracener View Post
Here's a link to a member who has done a lot of work on his goat... Bear takes great pictures and can provide good info on how he did it. You'll have to dig through the photos a bit to get to the fuel tank sump, but it's worth the effort. I think the tank photos are about half way through the process. One photo attached in this posting.

BearGFR's pics...

You can also buy a sump at Summit or Jeggs and either weld it yourself or have someone do it for you.

Buying a sumped tank new is significantly more expensive! I'm looking forward to doing this to our GTO in the not too distant future. Good luck with your project.
Dave
Thanks for the kind words!

Yeah, that's my photo and I did the work myself - even made my own sump out of sheet metal.

I learned some things in the process. Pretty welds aren't necessarily leak-free welds It looked good when I finished it but leaked, so I had to go through the whole process again and go over all the welds. Now it doesn't leak, but no one's ever going to mistake the job as having been done by a pro-welder, that's for sure!

If I was doing it over, I'd probably start with a brand new tank that had never had gas in it so I could quit worrying about blowing myself up and concentrate on the job. What I did to prepare, was I cut the holes with a hole saw that were going to be "inside" the sump, washed out the tank multiple times at a high pressure car wash, let it sit overnight after soaking the inside with a strong degreaser, then when I got ready to weld it I put big chunks of dry ice inside -- the idea being that the sublimating CO2 would displace all the air/oxygen in the tank making combustion impossible. I "tested" it a few times by rigging up a way to drop 'fire' into the tank from a safe distance before I started to work on it. Obviously it all worked because I'm still here to talk about it, but when I first applied the mig torch to it, I can tell my my heart was going!

Here's a few more pictures.

...and how it looks now after I fixed the leaks

Bear