THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm getting ready to put a turkey on the BBQ. I have only done it once before. I am going to try the rub I use for beer can chicken. The first time I did it I used Caribean Jerk marinade. I loosened up the skin and poured the marinade under the skin and in the cavity. It worked good on the BBQ and gave it real good flavor. Turkeys get real dry if you leave them on the BBQ to long.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken K View Post
I'm getting ready to put a turkey on the BBQ. I have only done it once before. I am going to try the rub I use for beer can chicken. The first time I did it I used Caribean Jerk marinade. I loosened up the skin and poured the marinade under the skin and in the cavity. It worked good on the BBQ and gave it real good flavor. Turkeys get real dry if you leave them on the BBQ to long.
I did a turkey on my egg a while ago, and it was by far the best turkey I've ever had. The trick is to not over cook it.....

Chickens get dry if you over cook them too! I'm gonna try a turkey on the egg for Thanksgiving....

"I open up three deuces, I'm Never Coming Back!"

Old 10-27-2011, 11:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The turkeys are in season here from now until Christmas. They are 59 cents a pound now and sometimes they go down to around 30 cents a pound. I am going to practice on a 12 pound turkey. I am going to use a throw away aluminum pan and pour some beer in the pan and use something to hold some beer to put in the cavity. There must be a way to cook it like the beer can chicken. I won't be able to stand it on end like a chicken, it won't fit on the BBQ grill.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have an idea for the turkey. I might be able to line the bottom of the cavity with foil and then pour the beer in. I can't figure out how the beer makes chicken moist and tender everytime but it works.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My goal is to have a turkey cook just like beer can chicken. I will use a glaze at the end. It will be with charcoal not a gas grill.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	261307   Click image for larger version

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	261308  

Old 10-28-2011, 09:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Instead of the beer can method, I usually "spatchcock" or butterfly whole fryer chickens and they come out great on my BGE. Just as moist and much easier than the beer can deal. Just put them bone side down direct on the grill at 350 or so, and 45 minutes later (160 degrees in the breast), you'll have the best grilled chicken ever.

"I open up three deuces, I'm Never Coming Back!"

Old 10-28-2011, 12:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Using the pan has something to do wit how the beer can chicken cooks. I used a iron skillet on a Weber kettle and it cooked the same was as the gas grill. There is not that much beer in the can and when it's done it seems like the same amount is left. I don't know if the beer steams the inside or why the chicken is moist. Someone from Russia said they did something similar but used milk bottles instead. Everyone always wants to know how long it takes to cook and where to buy the holders. The white meat is still moist the next day when left in the refrigerator.