THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-13-2011, 01:21 AM
PY VIP

Default TV CAR COMMERCIALS GOOD-TOLERABLE -BAD

I think for the most part we can pretty much agree, we have little tolerance for commercials. If you ever clocked a 30 minute show and deducted the times of the commercials shown in that 30 minute spread, the show you are watching would probably barely be 20 mins worth.

Here goes my question:

Automobiles is probably the most popular commercials on TV. What car commercial do you find as being terrible, and what car commercial do you find good or funny or at least entertaining.

Here is my picks:

For the bad ones:

The recent Ford ones where they surprise the person and pop out of this fold out studio and do a news report. Makes no sense to me.

Other one I find equally as bad is the one for the Chevy Volt at the gas station. The driver is drilled as to why he is there either to use the bathroom or whatever....again makes no sense to me.

The one I like is done by Audi.....guy was at a garage sale picked up a ball that was autographed ed by Honus Wanger and not being a baseball collector got ti to throw to his dog. I forget the tie in with the Audi but its a cute commercial.

Hyundai recent ones now push the fact when you buy one of there cars they can nail down what the car will be worth when it is traded in 2-3 years hence. Those contracts must have a lot of small print as I know as well as most of you know that have bought used cars not everyone maintains their cars in the same condition as you would.

What TV car ads trip your fancy or you find as being terrible.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Old 11-13-2011, 06:02 AM
Senior Chief

ford commercials with that guy saying how awesome they are and words are on the tv screen are clunking down are getting really old.. and ya those surprise/news conference commercials are dumb... i saw a chevy commercial once a while ago that had cars from back in the day and it was good, and im not even a chevy fan....

i like that dodge (cummins basically)commercial where they have all the equipment lined up against that ferd f-whatever and it backs away lol. thats a true story

Old 11-13-2011, 07:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Foreign car commercials, all of them, you can have them...

Buy American!

T-400/PTC 4000/390's/30x9 Hoosier radial slicks,#3400
1.38 60' 6.32 @ 108 MPH at Northeast Dragway NC 5/23/15 (9th pass on new engine)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ePCu2v...ature=youtu.be

1.37 60' 6.26 @ 109 half track, 9.86 @ 136 1/4 mile, #3350 11/26/16 at Richmond Dragway (125th pass on new engine)
Old 11-13-2011, 08:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I hate the Nissan truck commercials. The one where the jet plane lands with the aid of a Nissan truck,and the Nissan truck that pushes the guy over the top of the sanddune in the hill climbing contest.
These trucks suck so bad that you have to make stuff up about them?

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:27 AM

The best car commercial is the one for the chrysler 300 "Good things come to those who work" I love that line.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My favorite commercial is the Chevy one where the guy is reunited with his old 65 Impala SS.
His sons spent 5 years finding the car and surprised him with it. It brings tears to my eyes every time I see it.
Here is the story behind the commercial.
http://www.youtube.com/chevrolet?x=u...evy_commercial
Its under Chevy runs deep..the yellow Impala

Old 11-13-2011, 10:24 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67drake View Post
I hate the Nissan truck commercials. The one where the jet plane lands with the aid of a Nissan truck,and the Nissan truck that pushes the guy over the top of the sanddune in the hill climbing contest.
X2 It is basically a lie and if the customers believe it could happen then they are just as dumb for buying one!

1968 lemans :In progress!
1970 Bonneville 455 HO convertible (survivor)sold
1969 firebird
Old 11-13-2011, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455firebird1969 View Post

Buy American!
The Toyota TRUCK commercial says quite plainly that the Toyota Truck is "MORE American made" than a Ford F150.......

>>Just an Observation<<
GM trucks listed as % made in "North America" now as to include a couple more countries! LMAO

Old 11-13-2011, 10:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455firebird1969 View Post

Buy American!
x2!!! I especially loathe the Honda commercials that rip off classic American Rock!

Old 11-13-2011, 10:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I agree, those suck! Also, anything Mike Rowe is trying to sell, be it Fords, or jeans.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by theYman View Post
My favorite commercial is the Chevy one where the guy is reunited with his old 65 Impala SS.
His sons spent 5 years finding the car and surprised him with it. It brings tears to my eyes every time I see it.
Here is the story behind the commercial.
http://www.youtube.com/chevrolet?x=u...evy_commercial
Its under Chevy runs deep..the yellow Impala

X2 well since Pontiac does make commercials any more I can say my favorites are the latest Chebby commercials also. I also like the "mayhem" commercials from the Insurance company that I can't remember its name?

Old 11-13-2011, 10:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Having owned at least 5 Hard body-frontier trucks, I can agree with your statement. I liked the trucks,( the SE-v6 ones) but they have their place. The newer frontiers are having shock tower ROT issues. That said, my wife bought a new Nissan Juke and we love it. Turbocharged, and 28 mpg easy AWD. Looked hard a GMC Terrain, and Loved their commercials, BUT.. GM LIED about the MPG. Their estimates and Reality are 9 mpg apart.

Last edited by Formulabruce; 11-13-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
BUT.. GM LIED about the MPG. Their estimates and Reality are 9 mpg apart.
I think that goes for all brands. But then again, the foot pressure applied is another factor for mpg.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:49 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by salem1912 View Post
X2 well since Pontiac does make commercials any more I can say my favorites are the latest Chebby commercials also. I also like the "mayhem" commercials from the Insurance company that I can't remember its name?
This is on e of the best! This lady's face is priceless!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osPQhrnzNYk

1968 lemans :In progress!
1970 Bonneville 455 HO convertible (survivor)sold
1969 firebird
Old 11-13-2011, 12:28 PM
Suspended

Location: The Palomino Ranch in Tucson-where the real horsepower lives.

The "issues" ya'll have with car commercials,isn't limited to cars.It's just about any product.And anyone who thinks "foreign product" commercials are written"offshore" is a fool.They are being written where the rest of them are-Madison ave.

Old 11-13-2011, 01:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I find it ironic that GM is using old cars to sell the new ones...I thought GM said nostalgia doesn't sell in reference to the new Mustang and Charger? Now it does?

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 11-13-2011, 01:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe they are trying to play on peoples emotions from the past.Back when things were good,and America was great,EVERYBODY drove an American car. Now most Americans are a bunch of politically correct pansies driving around in thier foreign cars that are made by people who for the most part dislike us.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
I think that goes for all brands. But then again, the foot pressure applied is another factor for mpg.
TRUE Fuel economy TERRAIN.. Graph includes FOOT weight!!
http://www.truedelta.com/fuel_econom...&session_code=

Old 11-13-2011, 02:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by J GLASGO View Post
Maybe they are trying to play on peoples emotions from the past.Back when things were good,and America was great,EVERYBODY drove an American car. Now most Americans are a bunch of politically correct pansies driving around in thier foreign cars that are made by people who for the most part dislike us.
And American cars have Foreign parts, made by people, who.. because of the MEDIA, dislike us.. Here is a 2010 GMC SLE Pick up truck.. MADE in MEXICO...

Old 11-13-2011, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
I find it ironic that GM is using old cars to sell the new ones...I thought GM said nostalgia doesn't sell in reference to the new Mustang and Charger? Now it does?
I Totally agree, its not even the same Company
OLD= General Motors Corporation
NEW= General Motors Company .. sans any GM emblem on the car.