Old 12-14-2011, 02:49 PM

Default 55 Safari Bumper Guards

Does anyone know of a source for rear bumper guards for a 55 Safari? My bumpers are good (rechromed) but the bumper guards are too far gone. I haven't found any source for repos, but are there any out there? I see listings for Nomad repo guards that look almost identical but whether they would actually fit is unknown. I know it's blasphemy to mention Safari and nomad in the same context, but it's true that the hugh nomad market has made it easier to find some Safari parts. But if anyone has a source for 55 Safari rear bumper guards, I'd love to hear. Thanks

Old 01-02-2012, 08:14 PM

Default 55 Safari

I believe there were a set of '55 bumper guards recently on eBay. Worth a search. I'm looking for a Pontiac outside sun visor for my '55 Safari. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Old 01-03-2012, 11:18 AM

Thanks for the info, will check it out. Sorry, no ideas on the sunvisor. Thanks again

Old 01-03-2012, 11:40 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Bumper Guards -- I assume you mean the guards that bolt onto the rear of the bumper, not the wing guards that bolt onto outer upper bumper. Try Ed Vassar, eddies1955@yahoo.com.

Outside sun visor -- I assume you know Chevy and Pontiac sun visors are NOT the same. I got a call on this yesterday from Loren in PA, looking for the 55 Safari sun visor. Perhaps that's your car he's working on? As I told him, reproductions are not available (that I know of) and a "complete" visor with brackets is difficult to find. The brackets are more difficult to find than the Visor. Be prepared to pay $$$.

Regarding Chevy/Pontiac interchangeability of parts... There is commonality only in the body, not the rest of the car. The Chevy/Pontiac wagon bodies were made on the same Fisher Body assembly line (in Euclid OH) and then shipped to Chevy & Pontiac assembly plants where each used their own unique parts. For mechanical parts, Pontiac has much more in common with Oldsmobile.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:16 PM

Default '55 Pontiac Sun Visor for Safari

Hi Larry,
Loren in PA here... just to clarify this sun visor is for my Safari. I was helping another Safari owner with the bumper guards. I don't want to put a Chevy sun visor on my Safari and will keep searching for a correct one. Any leads welcome and appreciated! Happy New Year and Happy Pontiac Motoring to All!
Loren

Old 01-04-2012, 01:59 PM

Larry, my primary concern in the commonality of Safari/Nomad parts was if the repo nomad rear bumper guards would fit my 55 safari bumper. The ebay listing that Loren referred me to stated that the guards were for both safari and nomad so I guess that's my question, will the nomad rear guards fit Safari? Thanks for any help.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I don't know if the Nomad rear bumper guards would fit your Safari bumper but I seriously doubt it. The bumpers are not the same, Nomad has a single piece bumper (like other station wagons including Pontiac Chieftains) and Safari has a 2 piece rear bumper. Contour of the bumper is likely not the same but I'm not certain about that. You might try ordering the Nomad bumper guards and return them if they don't fit. If you do, let us know the results.