Old 01-18-2012, 11:03 PM
Senior Chief

Default GTO Formula Wheel

Did the Formula steering wheel ever come with silver color spokes on GTO's or Judges or were they all black? A friend bought a 70 GTO new with a Formula wheel and I thought it had silver spokes (I could be wrong). I saw a 70 Judge at a car show last summer with silver spokes and think that looks particularly good with the engine turned strip on the dash.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am pretty sure what you are seeing is simply a color variation in the anodizing process. These earlier wheels had aluminum anodized spokes rather than the black wrinkle finish found in later model Trans Ams. Sometimes the anodizing fades over time and some were darker than others when new. Whether they were light or dark, the machined aluminum would always show or shine through the anodizing.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Another factor you may not be aware of is body chemistry changing the finish of the wheel spokes. Some people have acidic sweat. Repeated contact can lighten the finish considerably. On those wheels the palm grip areas will be in notably poor shape as the acid eats right through the coated layer exposing the foam underneath. Usually on those wheels its the rim section in trouble and maybe one or two spots on the spokes where the fingers rested. Teh spokes at 2 and 10 o clock are commonly light.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Judge View Post
I am pretty sure what you are seeing is simply a color variation in the anodizing process. These earlier wheels had aluminum anodized spokes rather than the black wrinkle finish found in later model Trans Ams. Sometimes the anodizing fades over time and some were darker than others when new. Whether they were light or dark, the machined aluminum would always show or shine through the anodizing.
Maybe Jim spilled some Grecian on it before he sold it

Old 01-20-2012, 07:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellyshavilli View Post
Maybe Jim spilled some Grecian on it before he sold it
Nice try Matt,but I dont use Grecian. All natural.I'm not as Grey as you,but I'm not as OLD either.Beside's you of all people should be an expert on this question.How many Fatty wheel's did you buy from me ?

Old 01-20-2012, 08:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I did and I love my fatty. Have any wheels?

Old 01-20-2012, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Natural nice try ,probably a reaction from the shoe polish u use and combination of wildroot

Old 01-20-2012, 02:28 PM
Senior Chief

So then, Formula wheels are annodized aluminum? Here is a photo I found on the net that shows silver spokes. It may or may not be correct but looks good to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71Form2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	271523  

Old 01-20-2012, 08:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge273 View Post
I did and I love my fatty. Have any wheels?
Sorry Mike,
Seems every time I find one Matt seems so sniff it out and he gets it. No really he gets it........