Old 12-06-2010, 09:41 PM
Senior Chief

oops

Old 12-06-2010, 09:43 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 the legend View Post
..Thanks steve..SENDER is now installed...Now? I noticed in this pic? to the left there is a WIRE mounted to the head..?? Is that a ground coming from that same ALT harness..??

I've got that same shot. Almost

Notice my Negative battery terminal stud has been "put out to pasture"

Old 07-03-2011, 02:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Auto Zone Temp Sender

The autozone sender is made by Wells; it is part # TU5.

Another one I have had good luck with is sold by CarQuest. It is part # 53-7719.

In my tests both of the above senders were very, very close to the old AC Delco # 1513321.

In a case where you have a laser gun and your gauge still reads 7 to 10 degrees hotter on the dial than actual, (and you have tried one or the other of the 2 above senders) try a Sorensen TSU5.

WARNING: STAY AWAY from both GM #12334869 AND NAPA # TS6469SB. Both of these have low resistance and will cause your dash display to read anywhere from 10 to 20 degrees higher indicated temps than actual. (Verify with a laser gun.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 the legend View Post
Just curious?? iwas on e-bay and found this TEMP SEND that said it was for cars with GAUGES ONLY and is good for 70-78..? or somethin like that..Will this work..If not..Whats the one at AUTOZONE you were talkin bout..?? Part #..?? or just ask the idiots behind the counter for TEMP SEND for a 72 Pontiac..??

Last edited by Peter Serio; 07-03-2011 at 02:32 PM. Reason: added one line
Old 07-04-2011, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

On ebay, a seller's car fitmet chart says the Wells TU5 won't work on 70s Firebirds with guages. Sure looks like the right part, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Serio View Post
The autozone sender is made by Wells; it is part # TU5.

Another one I have had good luck with is sold by CarQuest. It is part # 53-7719.

In my tests both of the above senders were very, very close to the old AC Delco # 1513321.

In a case where you have a laser gun and your gauge still reads 7 to 10 degrees hotter on the dial than actual, (and you have tried one or the other of the 2 above senders) try a Sorensen TSU5.

WARNING: STAY AWAY from both GM #12334869 AND NAPA # TS6469SB. Both of these have low resistance and will cause your dash display to read anywhere from 10 to 20 degrees higher indicated temps than actual. (Verify with a laser gun.)

Old 07-04-2011, 04:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 T/A View Post
On ebay, a seller's car fitmet chart says the Wells TU5 won't work on 70s Firebirds with guages. Sure looks like the right part, though.
He's wrong.

Here is my original testing in the old thread. You can see the Wells TU5 was the closest specs to the original, old sending unit.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...=632070&page=2

Old 07-04-2011, 06:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsteve View Post
He's wrong.

Here is my original testing in the old thread. You can see the Wells TU5 was the closest specs to the original, old sending unit.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...=632070&page=2
Steve is correct, I have now tested a TU 5 with a 1970 set of gauges, and a 72, its very close.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Real Temp Sending Units

I have 3 original ones that look as good as you will find. All have the AC Delco upside down.. ANyone want one just PM me, beats the heck out of a repo one..

Old 10-16-2011, 10:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Played with a TU-5 last week with a stock 70 gauge set. Mine was close, but not perfect, so being old and anal, I tried for more LOL. I wanted to see what "actually" happened to accuracy with a added resistor in line. So I calculated what I needed and had a friend put it way back at firewall. I noticed it nailed the operating temp, which was 180 water with a 160 T-stat,( and im sure well over 200 in the cylinders for those with efficiency in mind).
SO we changed out a few and it changed the gauge reading. I then hooked it to the TU 5 in hot water ( pan of water with jumper wires) to the gauges in the car. ran the water to 200, and got 200 on the gauge, 210 seemed right on..tried 150, was very close...Now I wondered why all the hype on other forums about it being not accurate.
The temp gauge itself has a resistor to make it compatible with the senders used at the time. So I figure why would an additional one make it not accurate at any other temps> and why would they say its accurate for the TEMP you make it but not others?
This info is FALSE. That said..The difference was this, the reaction speed was slowed a bit, across the board. going up and down.
Technically mine should have been as close as Steve's, BUT old "wound" resistors on back of a gauge can loose their insulation and some of their resisting properties making gauges read higher. The right way may have been to bench test the whole thing and make the total "back of gauge" resistance match with the sender resistance for accuracy. May have to do that someday..
so Im running a 20 ohm resistor... hehe

Old 10-16-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
Played with a TU-5 last week with a stock 70 gauge set. Mine was close, but not perfect, so being old and anal, I tried for more LOL. I wanted to see what "actually" happened to accuracy with a added resistor in line. So I calculated what I needed and had a friend put it way back at firewall. I noticed it nailed the operating temp, which was 180 water with a 160 T-stat,( and im sure well over 200 in the cylinders for those with efficiency in mind).
SO we changed out a few and it changed the gauge reading. I then hooked it to the TU 5 in hot water ( pan of water with jumper wires) to the gauges in the car. ran the water to 200, and got 200 on the gauge, 210 seemed right on..tried 150, was very close...Now I wondered why all the hype on other forums about it being not accurate.
The temp gauge itself has a resistor to make it compatible with the senders used at the time. So I figure why would an additional one make it not accurate at any other temps> and why would they say its accurate for the TEMP you make it but not others?
This info is FALSE. That said..The difference was this, the reaction speed was slowed a bit, across the board. going up and down.
Technically mine should have been as close as Steve's, BUT old "wound" resistors on back of a gauge can loose their insulation and some of their resisting properties making gauges read higher. The right way may have been to bench test the whole thing and make the total "back of gauge" resistance match with the sender resistance for accuracy. May have to do that someday..
so Im running a 20 ohm resistor... hehe
Congratulations on the success. I would recommend you use a precision resistor, they don't vary as much to ambient temperature. A standard carbon film or wire wound, will vary as much as 10% with 100 deg temperature swing. Just a suggestion, again great work.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdScar View Post
Congratulations on the success. I would recommend you use a precision resistor, they don't vary as much to ambient temperature. A standard carbon film or wire wound, will vary as much as 10% with 100 deg temperature swing. Just a suggestion, again great work.
I did use a 1/2 watt 5% resistor,its not near the engine, so will be testing it as time goes by, probably more next summer. Thanks!!

Old 03-04-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunas73TA View Post
I've got that same shot. Almost

Notice my Negative battery terminal stud has been "put out to pasture"

on my engine i dont see a temp sending unit on the engine head as your pic shows, the only one a have is on the intake its a 3 prong...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0024.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	277113   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0010.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	277114   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0013.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	277117  

Old 03-04-2012, 03:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71pp'sGP View Post
on my engine i dont see a temp sending unit on the engine head as your pic shows, the only one a have is on the intake its a 3 prong...
'72-later were in the cylinder head, '71-earlier mounted in the intake.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Old 03-09-2012, 08:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default OEM Temp Guage sending unit

Guys..I have one more original used Temp Sending unit I will sell.On the other thread,3 prong sender, I posted that I had some of these. Really beats adding resistors,cuting into the harness etc.. Just seemed to me a bit much when GM used this sending unit on many Pontiacs in the early 70's-they are not that difficult to find..
Anyway, I sold a number to others and will sell one more.. $25 plus shipping $7. I think I am being quite fair with this price.. Just shoot me a PM and I'll respond within a day or two. Pls do not PM me if you already have one and just want an extra one for $25....Let's let this go to a board member who doesn't have one and needs the correct unit.. This is a really nice unit.. Hare to tell it is almost 45 years old..