Old 04-04-2012, 12:47 AM

Default 70 Judge w/Trim Rings & Docs. Typo?

I thought this was strange, and wanted to run it by you guys to see what you make of it. Maybe somebody here knows this car?

Anyway a pretty sharp looking 1970 Pepper Judge for sale at RK Collections, with some nice pictures as well. Maybe too nice, as we can pic it apart. LOL

Anyway looking things over I noticed the GM of Canada Docs show it as coming with N98 Rally II's with Trim Rings. So common knowlege would lead us to believe it's not true, and I'm pretty sure that George Zapora knows that too. So why then would he put that on the docs? Is it a typo by George? Then the car is goes through an extensive resto and they put trim rings on it? I just find it hard to believe. FWIW I also noticed original dealer says "GM of Canada".

I looked over my GM of Canada Docs for my Pepper Judge, and N98 is also on the list but does not say Trim Rings (as you would expect).

Here is a link to the car.

http://www.rkmotorscharlotte.com/sal...132652#/150488

Old 04-04-2012, 01:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It has to be a typo as its a weird way to break out options .One would think WT1 would be listed as the Judge option. With WT1 listed, the option includes the 14x6 dechromed rally II's & Blackwall G70-14's, also would have included the D80 rear spoiler & the Ram Air III engine, amongst other things.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The write up that RM did reads like a romance novel Should have included a picture of Fabio sitting in the car.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
It has to be a typo as its a weird way to break out options .One would think WT1 would be listed as the Judge option. With WT1 listed, the option includes the 14x6 dechromed rally II's & Blackwall G70-14's, also would have included the D80 rear spoiler & the Ram Air III engine, amongst other things.

Ya actually OPH thats the way GM of Canada breaks the cars down. I could best explain it by saying PHS shows what factory options the car came with, and GM of Canada shows how the car came equipped from the factory, two different things. And because this Judge was built and sold new in Canada there will be no PHS.

To give another example. My 70 TA (built in Norwood, sold new in Canada) GM of Canada docs show Power Steering and Power Disc Brakes, as it came equipped with them. But PHS doesn't show that because they not options on the TA, but rather stardard equipment.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripower View Post
The write up that RM did reads like a romance novel Should have included a picture of Fabio sitting in the car.
I agree, and also think that is the most nicely photgraphed Pepper 70 I have ever seen, plus the write-up, and a nice video too!!!

Old 04-04-2012, 07:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looked at a 70 TA recently that had them & had the PHS & original window sticker to back them up.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 04-04-2012, 08:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar View Post
Anyway looking things over I noticed the GM of Canada Docs show it as coming with N98 Rally II's with Trim Rings. So common knowlege would lead us to believe it's not true, and I'm pretty sure that George Zapora knows that too. So why then would he put that on the docs? Is it a typo by George?
My experience has been that George will not put anything on his summary sheet unless it is supported by the original build documentation.

Quote:
Ya actually OPH thats the way GM of Canada breaks the cars down. I could best explain it by saying PHS shows what factory options the car came with, and GM of Canada shows how the car came equipped from the factory, two different things. And because this Judge was built and sold new in Canada there will be no PHS.

To give another example. My 70 TA (built in Norwood, sold new in Canada) GM of Canada docs show Power Steering and Power Disc Brakes, as it came equipped with them. But PHS doesn't show that because they not options on the TA, but rather stardard equipment.
This makes sense to me.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 04-04-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
Looked at a 70 TA recently that had them & had the PHS & original window sticker to back them up.
My 70 TA came from the factory with with trim rings, and its shown on both PHS and GM of Canada docs. I'm not sure why people think you couldn't get factory trim rings on a 70 TA? On a Judge though, different story...

Old 04-04-2012, 11:23 PM
Senior Chief

hey Dar that car was coming to swift but the guy bought mine instead

Old 04-05-2012, 12:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
My 70 TA came from the factory with with trim rings, and its shown on both PHS and GM of Canada docs. I'm not sure why people think you couldn't get factory trim rings on a 70 TA? On a Judge though, different story...
Totally agree, have had several good friends who have owned '70 T/A's & trim rings were listed on the bottom of their original window sticker. Not so with Judges.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Not to pick on the car or the auction, But it also says three different seatbelt codes and says shoulder harness twice, making it sound like theres shoulder harnesses front and rear and there are not, maybe just another one of those code things I don't understand? But it also says deluxe seat belts and those as far as I know would be considered standard style. Just thought I'd point that out, Even though some of you guys probably forgot more than I know about pontiac details.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:24 PM

I don't think that is the original owners manual for the car either. The Canadian book was white with a brown woodgrain print on the cover for 1970. I have a pic of it on one of my computers but where to find it i don't know. if i find it i will post it.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren View Post
hey Dar that car was coming to swift but the guy bought mine instead
Did you sell your Verdoro 70?

Old 04-06-2012, 08:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This wouldn't be the first Judge documented with trim rings, so what's the problem? We have Judges special ordered without Judge stripes, so why not this?

Old 04-06-2012, 11:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

TYPO.

I recall another older thread where it was said these documents were "typed" by some girl in the office so she would either pick up the option off a standard GTO perhaps, by mistake not thinking about Judge options, or perhaps she "copied" a group lisit of more popular options (to save time).... then picked a "blank" document from that specific pile with partial options already filled in and plugged in the rest.

I cant remember exact post but its been covered more than a few times on PY.
Probably in archives.

Jeff

Old 04-06-2012, 12:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blip View Post
I don't think that is the original owners manual for the car either. The Canadian book was white with a brown woodgrain print on the cover for 1970. I have a pic of it on one of my computers but where to find it i don't know. if i find it i will post it.
You beat me to it blip. That's a US owner's manual.

1970 GTO, 455+.034", 0 deck, Wiseco's, Eagle rods, 60919, Rhoads, E-Heads, 1.65 Scorpions, RPM, Custom Qjet by Cliff, Doug's 1 7/8", THM 400, Gear Vendors OD, 3.55s.........Her name is Blandorf; after a girl I knew once, 'cause she's just Bitchin, always.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:10 PM
Senior Chief

Dar yes 3 weeks ago I guess itll be at the regina car show next week with a new owner

Old 04-07-2012, 10:46 AM
Senior Chief

My Black 70 R/A 4 auto Judge that I sold had trim rings, and it was on the build sheet to. and My 70 T/A has them on the build sheet to.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:28 AM
Senior Chief

"I could best explain it by saying PHS shows what factory options the car came with, and GM of Canada shows how the car came equipped from the factory, two different things. "

It's late and I don't get what the difference is. Could you explain this Dar?

I always thought there were 288 Canadian Judges made so is 442 the latest number?

Old 04-11-2012, 07:14 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lintmann View Post
"I could best explain it by saying PHS shows what factory options the car came with, and GM of Canada shows how the car came equipped from the factory, two different things. "

It's late and I don't get what the difference is. Could you explain this Dar?

I always thought there were 288 Canadian Judges made so is 442 the latest number?
288 Judges were built in 1970 at Oshawa Ontario build plant

GM of Canada sheets show 442 total 1970 Judges delivered new in Canada in 1970 from all assembly plants combined.

Owner/Operator of Pure Stock Auto Restorations Inc.
www.purestockauto.com

1969 GTO Judge Ram Air IV M21 4 speed 3:90
1970 GTO Judge Ram Air III M21 4 speed 3:90 Oshawa Built
1970 GSX Stage 1 M21 4 Speed 3.64 # 67 of 678 Original Paint
1970 GSX Stage 1 Auto 3.64 # 603 of 678 12.44@109.73 mph 2011 Buick GS Nats Pure Stock, 12.71@110.64 mph PSMCDR 2011
1970 GS Stage 1 Convertible Auto 3:64 12.71@109.15 mph PSMCDR 2009
1970 GS 455 M21 4 Speed 3.42
1987 GN Astro Roof