OHC-6 TECH Over Head Cam projects, questions and advice.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 67 Sprint Exhaust ?

Has anyone installed a very nice factory appearing dual exhaust for their little Sprint engine. I would like to install a true dual exhaust and have it look factory installed. Does Pypes offer anything for these engines ? If you have installed a dual exhaust system, have you noticed any performance gains ? Who and what would you reccomend for an exhaust system. Thank you.

Tim john---

Old 04-10-2012, 07:28 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had my local exhaust shop come off the split manifolds with parrellel 2" pipes. At the rear of the transmission, the passenger side pipe went over to where the V8 Dual exhaust would be routed. Then mufflers and dual turndowns at the rear. Looks stock, but sounds great.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you want it to look factory then it will not be a dual.
IMO any exhaust mods will detune the intended euro sound and offer little performance gains.
There are a few who have done it and overall it look good, the hardest pipe it the cross over as it always seem to hang way low when trying to get it under the engine over to the PS. I'll dig up some images I have somewhere on file of these.

No one offers much in as true correct factory but there are a few offering their attempts.

I run stock size pipe with NOS 4" X 28" round muff and a resonator with the factory trumpet/tip and she runs strong and sounds great!

But again this is IMO.

Last edited by Jeff Hamlin; 04-15-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:28 PM
Senior Chief

I ran 1 7/8" duals with the small generic resonators only, and tails in stock locations on my Firebird. (similar to small mufflers) It sounded pretty good, but not as good as the single system/Euro sound that Jeff speaks of. There was no performance gain, just a bit more noise and sounded different. My car is back to a single system with tuned header, 2.5" pipe and transverse muffler.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ive done many variations on this
I bought duals for a 400 Bird from the front resonators back and had 1-7/8 from manifold to resonators.
I also tried resonators only and transverse muffler only(current setup).
My crossover is about 6 inches behind the tailshaft,so tranny can be removed without dropping exhaust.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I looked last night under the vehicle and the exhaust very well could be the factory original minus the muffler. If it is to be round, this one is not. It is a small rectangular (looks like a "mini" V8 case muffler) and the tail pipe has a resonator just like the one pictured above by Jeff. The complete system only has surface rust from sitting. As rust free as the rest of the car this very well could be the factory original pipes / resonator, muffler too ? coming from west Texas (Lubbock) area. If we determine it is the original would it be wise to remove it and have it (ceramic, jet-hot, something, etc...) coated and re-install to preserve it. Is this system in original form hard to replace. Coming off the head where both pipes join looks like a muffler shop would not be able to duplicate cleanly, I could with a mandrel bender and a tig torch or my mig gun.
My question is: Would it be wise to invest money into preserving this exhaust ? Michigan has high humidity in the summer and it will not last long even in the garage with sweaty floors if I do not do something relatively soon. What are your opinions here ? The resonator and tail pipe (from the muffler back it looks new, dull and hazy but rock solid) look galvanized or flash coated for they are in excellent condition, just the pipes coming off in the engine compartment have the light surface rust. Consider to have from head to muffler coated ?

YourThoughts ?

Tim john---

Old 04-12-2012, 07:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

small muffler is correct for 67
66 used 2 different round ones
I may have an NOS one or 2 of both
pipes rust from inside and out
hard to prevent that

Old 04-12-2012, 10:24 PM

I have true dual on my Firebird. I had a pipe custom bent to cross over where the bell housing and transmission bolt together. It dosen't get in the way if you have to do a swap or hang too low.

I'll try to remember to take a picture.

Rick