Old 05-31-2012, 08:54 AM

Default engine ticking

my 62 has a ticking in the engine. sounds a lot like valve/lifter noise. I have had the motor down to the short block and found nothing wrong except some wear on the lifters and cam. the rest looks good.the car sat for a long time. we did a valve job, new points, plugs, wires, rotor, cap. The engine also has a lot of crankcase pressure. I think the pressure is caused from the rings as a result of sitting so long. would the ticking be cause by the wear on cam and lifters??? the car runs great, has good power etc, but I am afraid to take here very far. I went to chicago a couple years ago, (about 4 hours away) and got her hot downtown, was afraid she was done but made it back home. I am really interested in knowing more about a roller cam
scott

46 chrysler
48 1 ton chevy panel truck
50 plymouth
69 vw bug
Old 05-31-2012, 09:49 AM
Senior Chief

Are you sure it isn't an exhaust manifold leak? That can make a ticking noise that is easily mistaken for valve noise. An overheating event can also play into this, causing a slight warping of the manifold and the subsequent leak.

May the torque be with you.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Have you rechecked the valve adjustment?? Suggest when you adjust the valves, roll motor over & adjust the valves on each cylinder when valves are both closed on the TDC of compression stroke. Adjusting any other way you are torquing against spring pressure & can get an inaccurate torque.

POCI.org
Old 05-31-2012, 10:40 AM
Senior Chief

I've had two engines with tapping noises that I have diagnosed. One turned out to be the after market cheap pushrod actually collapsed at the tip. It was a three peice unit that the engine machinist supplied when it was rebuilt over 12 years ago. I found it by running the engine with the cover off and noticing all the pushrods spinning while one was not.

Another more common problem with Pontiac heads are the rocker studs have a tendency to groove from lack of efficient oil. Even the machine shop with exceptional credibility over-looked my studs when they gave the heads a good bill of health on my most recent rebuild. The studs will groove on the side and the rocker will ride in the groove.

I would pull the cover and try to locate the noisy culprit and try tightening the rocker some. If the noisy rocker gets quiet and then noisy shortly after, check your pushrod or suspect a collapsing lifter.

Don't forget to check your choke tubes for leaks as well. If the tube inside the intake is cracked, exhaust will come up through the tubes into the carb making a ticking noise as well.

Good luck

1962 Skylark convertible 215 4-barrel , auto
2009 G8 Sport red metallic, Onyx leather
Whatever else that make my way into the driveway
Old 05-31-2012, 02:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My lifters tick when its cold but clear up after is ran a while. Have over 350K on the current cam & lifters. That may be my cause.

POCI.org
Old 05-31-2012, 06:02 PM

thanks for all the suggestions. it gives me a place to start looking!!
Scott

46 chrysler
50 plymouth
69 vw bug
Old 05-31-2012, 06:05 PM

i spent the day in it a lot of stop and start driving while doing the us 40 yard sales. Seemed to run ok!!! Got a lot of comments and questions about the ole girl all along the trip. was a good day!!!
scott

46 chrysler
50 plymouth
69 vw bug