OHC-6 TECH Over Head Cam projects, questions and advice.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Curiosities about the OHC's?

Did they come with hood insulation? If so, molded or the cheap stuff?

I see some early years had a painted "PMD" in red? Was this a true paint scheme for the OHC?

What is a "Custom Trim" option #554 ?

Did Sprints come with an open rear end the posi was optional?

Why are there no fuel senders for the 69 year? Will a 68 work?

Will a rattle can of Pontiac metallic paint freshen up an engine to look more correct or is the paint a waste of time?

Which shift knob did the "Hurst" shifters come with (black or white)?

Since the spring has rusted away on the exhaust manifold which way should it be kept open? How did you hold it into position?

Is there an alternative to the idle stop solenoid?

Is there an option to the divorce choke?

Old 08-18-2012, 11:46 AM

Hello

Relating everything to my New 67 Firebird Spring, 3 Speed.

Mine came with hood insulation, it looked like pressed and molded Fiberglass, black in color.

Mine came with the standared non-posi with 3.55 gear set.

Painting the engine for touch up would work, but color matching would probably be way off, before painting the engine needs to be cleaned and DE GREASED for the paint to stick. You would probably wind up painting the whole engine to get it to look decent.

Mine had a Black shifter knob.

The heat riser valve will settle in the down/open position with no spring to close it when the engine is cold, they are usually stuck in that position and the flapper valve is usual missing too on allot that I have seen.

The Idle Stop solenoid was used to speed up the engine idle when the A/C was on, and be the normal Idle stop on the Smog Cars so that when you turn off the engine the normal carb stop allows the throttle blades to completely CLOSE there by eliminating the Dieseling problems after the engine shuts down.

You can use the normal carb Idle stop without the solenoid, if it wants to Diesel, especially when HOT then you can compensate by shutting off the engine in gear with and automatic, or stalling the engine with a standard trans by holding the brakes on and letting the clutch out slowly with the trans in gear and the engine at Idle.

You can replace the divorced choke with an electric choke or a heated air choke, I prefer the Electric choke myself, just make sure that you get a good power source for the choke heater that is KEY operated on/off, I use a small relay and put a fuse in the Hot lead (power) control the relay using the coil power terminal from the Ignition Switch, DO NOT USE THIS CONNECTION POINT FOR THE CHOKE COIL POWER, it will cause you allot of problems you don't want.

Just get ANY electric Choke carb of the same type i.e. Quadrajet, I am not sure about the lowly 1 barrel, but there is probably a later model carb that might have the electric choke on it, or you might be able to find one that uses heated air from the exhaust manifold and adapt it to get heated air off your exhaust manifold. Just a simple 1/4" copper tube clamped to a very hot part of the exhaust manifold would work just fine, it will have to be long enouggh to get the air really HOT, might add a heat sleeve on the tube to keep the air hot longer, look on allot of the 50's-60's cars and you will see the heat tube and the heat sleeve.

Hope this Helps.

Dusty

Old 08-18-2012, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMD1969 View Post
Did they come with hood insulation? If so, molded or the cheap stuff?molded

I see some early years had a painted "PMD" in red? Was this a true paint scheme for the OHC

What is a "Custom Trim" option #554 ?deluxe interior,WO moldings pedal trim, ?554?

Did Sprints come with an open rear end the posi was optional?optional

Why are there no fuel senders for the 69 year? Will a 68 work?I can make a sender with vapor return

Will a rattle can of Pontiac metallic paint freshen up an engine to look more correct or is the paint a waste of time?as John said above

Which shift knob did the "Hurst" shifters come with (black or white)?black or wood(optional)

Since the spring has rusted away on the exhaust manifold which way should it be kept open? How did you hold it into position?tie to pin

Is there an alternative to the idle stop solenoid?same up to 71 I believe,no it wasnt for A/C

Is there an option to the divorce choke?is yours bad?
see above

Old 08-19-2012, 02:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dusty,

Thanks for the reply and for helping me spend more money lol.

Since the Sprint I have does not have AC would the idle stop be controlled by the temp sensor or is it always on with the ignition switch? I am not sure how it behaves on this car?

Old 08-19-2012, 02:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cammer,

How much would it cost to have a vapor line (everything) for a 69 to be made? I am trying to budget things.

I am not sure if the divorce choke works. I doubt that it does. Do you have a NOS #7029090 divorce choke?

Who is John?

Old 08-19-2012, 04:07 PM

Hello

As far as the Idle Stop Solenoid goes I have always seen them controled electricly by power from the Ignition Switch.

In General, I have seen some that have a vacuum line on them and those that do not have any vacuum line on them, but they were what you would call a Dash Pot, it's purpose is to let the engine slow down to an Idle slowly helping the engine to not Stall when comming to a stop for instance.

I have 2, 69 Tempest Sprints, 1 is Automatic TH-350 and the other is a 4 Speed, neither of them have a Idle Stop solenoid or a dash pot on them.

Hope this Helps,

Dusty, I am also John, I got the Dusty nick name when I was a kid.

BMFH stands for Boat Motor From Hell, it is a Race Engine that has been on the Salt at 169 MPH. Used to be in a Hydroplane in the early 70's and won the championship its first year on the water.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

do you have a new sending unit to modify?

Old 08-19-2012, 09:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammer-6 View Post
do you have a new sending unit to modify?
No sir I do not. Which one would I need to purchase to have modified?

Old 08-20-2012, 08:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I may have one

Old 08-24-2012, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammer-6 View Post
I may have one
I just noticed that PY has a 69 sending unit listed in their catalog.