Old 08-27-2012, 06:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up Here's our little group of . . .

automotive historians at the Houston Public Library Saturday.

L-R: Bob's son David, tabob and gto4door.

Shame I didn't get a pic of Caroline, as she was a real trooper and really got into the hunt. She even found one of those two RA IV ads . . .

A huge thanks to David, Bob and John for their help in this hunt!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Group photo, Searching for Hemmings Ads B cropped.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	295777   Click image for larger version

Name:	Group photo, Searching for Hemmings Ads cropped.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	295778  

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 08-27-2012, 06:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't envy you guys because there was no order to the old Hemmings magazines.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So, did you find it?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 08-27-2012, 07:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
So, did you find it?

What, John.

We found some VERY good information / ads on other projects, but nothing yet on our RA IV GTO with A/C, unfortunately.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Some interesting ads that we came across from over 25 years ago.....

Another seller trying to sell a '72 GTO Convertible

'66 GTO customized by the Egyptian (from Oct 1986 issue)

'73 Grand Am SD from Jan 1987 issue

'71 Lucern Blue T/A for $7,495 or best offer that was on the cover of Hot Rod Magazine back in May 1982 (see pic of HRM cover below). Call Linda?.....guess a chick must had owned that T/A. Below that ad is a White with Green Interior '71 GTO 455HO for $2,750. The description sounds just like Overuld's car. But this one is a California car.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:58 PM
formerly Steved400

Send a message via Yahoo to Steve Hoog

You guys seriously, far better to meet at a bar over beer!

Old 08-27-2012, 11:59 PM
formerly Steved400

And by the way, I'm calling on the 65 ragtop since you didn't mark out the number.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:09 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hoog View Post
You guys seriously, far better to meet at a bar over beer!
After looking thru pages of old dusty Hemmings I certainly needed a few beers. Even though we did not find that mythical Brass Hat '70 Ram Air IV GTO with A/C from Texas, we had a fun time and came across another interesting ad......but, I will leave that one for Lloyd to tell you about.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:12 AM
formerly Steved400

Don't tell me you guys stooped to the singles looking section?

Old 08-28-2012, 07:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Amazing how many low mileage cars were available!

Good work guys!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 08-28-2012, 05:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Say...that White/White/Green 71 455 H/O 4-speed with Air car sounds strangely familiar. LLoyd - that could very well be my car. It was a Fremont-built car that was originally delivered to Superior Pontiac in San Antonio. But, the collector in TX that Don White bought it from got the car from a collector in California. From TX the car went to the Philly area before Mike bought it and then later sold it to me. I'd love to have a copy of that ad and the date/issue it was in for my files if you wouldn't mind sharing.

BJ

Old 08-28-2012, 06:38 PM
formerly Steved400

Dangit OVERBULD, and I was going to call on that one too but they covered the number!

Old 08-29-2012, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERULD View Post
Say...that White/White/Green 71 455 H/O 4-speed with Air car sounds strangely familiar. LLoyd - that could very well be my car. It was a Fremont-built car that was originally delivered to Superior Pontiac in San Antonio. But, the collector in TX that Don White bought it from got the car from a collector in California. From TX the car went to the Philly area before Mike bought it and then later sold it to me. I'd love to have a copy of that ad and the date/issue it was in for my files if you wouldn't mind sharing.

BJ
I'll bet that ad is for your car then, BJ. Can't be TOO many Cameo / white cordova / green gut 455HO M22 '71 GTOs runnin' around!

Seems that John told me he had the invoice for that car, I know that I have yours . . .

Old 08-29-2012, 11:31 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default More Ads

Here's a couple items from my archives. In the Apr 9, 1972 Kole Pontiac Ad, the '67 GTO for $1,295 is the car I traded in for my new 72 GTO. My freinds at Roseland Pontiac gave me the 2nd Ad. More on Kole And Roseland Pontiac at http://www.oneownercollectorcar.com/...-mike-haggerty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kole 67 GTO Ad.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	295926   Click image for larger version

Name:	dealer-roseland-nov-27-62-catalina.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	295927  

HPP Sept. 2014 https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1972...-gee-no-g-t-o/
YouTube MCACN 2014 http://youtu.be/1IPQVPevbxU
1967 GTO Conv
Old 08-29-2012, 12:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great stuff!!

The very old Hemmings Motor News issues, back in the mid-1970's, had a dovetail binding like a magazine. There was hardly a GTO or Trans Am to be found. If anything, you'd see the occasional 64/65 cream puff GTO. They just weren't considered collectible...yet. And the Pontiacs were scattered in the "P Cars For Sale" section, so you had to troll through Porsches, Packards, and the occasional Plymouth to find a Pontiac.

They eventually added a "Pontiac Cars" section, separating them out from the rest of the "P Cars For Sale". But within the Pontiac section, they weren't in year order, so you had to read every ad to find a car of the year you were interested in.

Hemmings then began so large that they went to a squared off binding, and they began putting the cars in year order within each section. I'm thinking that was in the late 1980's.

I have to go to the Pontiac Museum here and spend a day sifting through their library!

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd-TX View Post
I'll bet that ad is for your car then, BJ. Can't be TOO many Cameo / white cordova / green gut 455HO M22 '71 GTOs runnin' around!

Seems that John told me he had the invoice for that car, I know that I have yours . . .
Lloyd:
Almost certain it is the ad for my car that Kurt Goeting in El Paso responded to when he bought the car. John sent me a copy of another ad for a 72 H.O. car that was for sale by the same seller in March of 86. When I spoke with Kurt not long after I bought the car from Mike, he told me that he remembered buying my car and a 72 H.O. car from the same guy in California 'sometime in the 80's' but he couldn't pinpoint the exact year. I'd bet that it was sometime after the March 86 ad that John just sent to me. The place that had the cars advertised was called "Performance Craft" and it was in Los Angeles according to the area code in the number. Anyone ever heard of it?

Anyway, Kurt told me he kept the car until 1998 when it went up north and eventually landed in Mike's collection before coming to Georgia. Just wish it could talk!

BJ

Old 08-29-2012, 12:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNoun View Post
Great stuff!!

The very old Hemmings Motor News issues, back in the mid-1970's, had a dovetail binding like a magazine. There was hardly a GTO or Trans Am to be found. If anything, you'd see the occasional 64/65 cream puff GTO. They just weren't considered collectible...yet. And the Pontiacs were scattered in the "P Cars For Sale" section, so you had to troll through Porsches, Packards, and the occasional Plymouth to find a Pontiac.

They eventually added a "Pontiac Cars" section, separating them out from the rest of the "P Cars For Sale". But within the Pontiac section, they weren't in year order, so you had to read every ad to find a car of the year you were interested in.

Hemmings then began so large that they went to a squared off binding, and they began putting the cars in year order within each section. I'm thinking that was in the late 1980's.

I have to go to the Pontiac Museum here and spend a day sifting through their library!
Yessir, Mike!

By the way, we looked at HMN's through December 1990, and the ads were not yet in model year order through that issue.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:09 PM
formerly Steved400

Lloyd, why don't you just scan every Hemmings and let's host a online of them?