Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 10-16-2012, 10:22 PM
Senior Chief

Default pontiac 455 build 529hp/558 ft lbs trq.

Interesting build with little budget....

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...p/viewall.html

Old 10-16-2012, 11:03 PM

makes you wonder how he did it with only 238 head flow 110 lobe sep 3 TUBE HEADERS.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It was $4,000 back in 1999. I don't think he makes TFX camshafts anymore.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another 455 combo,another data point.

Really nothing surprising about it,most any well built 9.0:1 to 9.5:1 455 with 240 cfm iron heads and a solid cam like that should make roughly those numbers,possibly even a little more with a few additional refinements.

Was'nt rocket science back then,it's not rocket science now.

Just a solid combo with good all around performance.

The 455 combo for my street/strip '74 Ventura from back then was going to be similar,only it was going to use a slightly bigger custom ground Crower solid cam (#E27941) on a slightly tighter LSA,and I prefer TII intakes for use with Holley carbs,and yeah I fully expected numbers similar to Taylor's from that 455 combo back then.

My #96 heads were ported by Dan Whitmore who's another "old school" pontiac guy of some reknown,and I got the solid cam from him too,we put our heads together on that deal,I told him I was looking for something like the Comp 290b6 solid,and that custom ground Crower cam is what he felt would be pretty close.

A serious injury that required surgery derailed those plans though,thus the projects changed as well,parts got shuffled around some,the #96 heads for that street/strip 455 combo wound up on my "milder" street 455 combo with a Crower #60210 hydraulic cam,that milder 455 combo was meant to go into the '73 Ventura I had back then,and it's in my '72 bird now,and the custom ground Crower solid cam from that street/strip 455 combo wound up in the 670 headed 400 cid race only engine that's going in my '70 LeMans/GTO racecar,both use TII intakes and holley carbs.

Anyhow,enough of the nostalgic walk thru my not too distant past,my point is good solid parts selection goes a long way toward making good hp.

That never changes.

Bret P.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like a nice well ballanced 455 combo. I do think the power curve is unusually high for a 455 with iron heads. Best et shift point on that motor would be around 6200 a little faster than you would want to shift a 455 and have it live with a factory cast crank. The torque curve is great though. I might want to go with a 112 LSA in liue of the 110 and take some duration out of that cam to bring the RPM down a little for max HP and give it more torque. That would make the car just as fast and live longer.