Old 10-17-2012, 08:41 PM

Talking electric fuel pump

I know there are alot of postings on replacing the mechanic fuel pump with an electric unit. Can someone give me advice on what brand, model number etc, would be a good unit to use in a 62 auto, with a 4 barrel set up? I want to wire it, so it turns off when the key is off. Also, could someone provide advice on what other things would be needed, ie. relays etc. I am not much of a wiring expert. Thanks for any input.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here ya go! http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...tric+fuel+pump

I bypassed the mechanical pump. Only use the electric. I found a lead at the fuse box that goes hot with the key in the on position. Ran a wire to a fuse holder I got at napa, from there it goes to a toggle switch I hid under the dash. Then it goes out one of the grommets in the firewall. I tied the wire to the fuel line & ran it all the way back to the tank. I mounted the pump in line at the tank.. Wire from the switch goes to the red wire on the pump. Black wire is ground. I ran a screw into the trunk pan for the ground wire. I just let the pump hang by the fuel lines.

POCI.org
Old 10-17-2012, 09:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I run my mechanical pump and only turn on the electric when racing or after the car been sitting awile since I don't run chokes.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:43 PM

Question

This is a stupid question, but if you were getting some dieseling in the motor, after the key was turned off, by installing an electric fuel pump, would that cut down on the amount of dieseling ? I would figure the cylinders would not be getting as much excess remaining fuel and vapors to keep igniting. If you had only a mechanic pump, the engine crank would keep pumping the lever of the mechanical pump.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My idea is dieseling is caused from a heat sourse thats acting as an ignition.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As gary said, its usually caused by a hot engine. Make sure the idle speed is correct & carb is adjusted correctly. If the idle fuel air mix is off, sometimes the idle screw is ran in too far to make it run correctly. Then when the motor is shut off, the throttle blades in the carb are open too much & it diesels real bad. If its an automatic, I leave it in gear & give the throttle a little blip then turn off the key. If its a manual trans, leave it in gear & just as the key is turnd off, let the clutch out.

I use my electric pump only. That way when I park at a store or go to the movies or something, I reach under the dash where the switch is hidden & turn off the electric pump. That way the only way its getting stolen is if they bring a roll off tow truck. Even if its hotwired under the hood, the pump isnt running. Car wont make it out of the parking lot.

POCI.org
Old 10-19-2012, 09:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenzoil View Post
This is a stupid question, but if you were getting some dieseling in the motor, after the key was turned off, by installing an electric fuel pump, would that cut down on the amount of dieseling ? I would figure the cylinders would not be getting as much excess remaining fuel and vapors to keep igniting. If you had only a mechanic pump, the engine crank would keep pumping the lever of the mechanical pump.
The answer to your question is yes. A mechanical fuel pump continues to pump while the engine diesels. An electric fuel pump would not. However there is still fuel available in the carb to promote dieseling for a while when you first turn off the key.

Another thing to consider with an electric fuel pump is adding a roll over switch that shuts off the fuel pump when the car goes shiney side down.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well said Keith or maybe a build up of carbon that will act like a glow plug.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:43 PM

Question

Thanks guys. I plan on trying some top engine cylinder cleaner. Any problems associated with using that stuff and hurting a newly refurbished and plated 4 barrel ?

Old 10-19-2012, 09:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Get a spray bottle, like a windex bottle that has a stream option on the nozzle, fill bottle with water, run motor up tp around 2K rpm & hold it there. Then spray water into the carb while keeping the rpm's up. run the whole bottle through the engine. It will loosten & clean out just about everything out of the piston/combustion area.

POCI.org
Old 10-19-2012, 11:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Keith --Whats your secret to these OLD tricks?

Old 10-19-2012, 11:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What do you mean?? This one is way older than me. Ever seen a piston & combustion chamber on a car after it has been ran with a blown head gasket???? Just like a steam cleaner. water turns to steam & cleans the chamber/piston. The old fart that had the gas station on the corner show'd me that around 65-66

POCI.org

Last edited by mechanickeith; 10-19-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bought a 69 chevy pickup that was only driven in the city. Ran like crap so did the old water down the carburator trick and it made a big difference. Have a Nice Day Keith

Old 10-21-2012, 05:09 PM

Question

thanks guys for the advice. By the way, what is the diameter of the fuel lines in our tempests ? I would assume 3/8 but I can't remember. I want to get the correct inline
pump to order.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

3/8

POCI.org
Old 10-22-2012, 07:25 PM

Question

Well, I "cleaned" the carbon from the motor as suggested. Still have a lot of after shut off dieseling. I plan on putting in the inline fuel pump anyways. I checked timing and it was right on the button. I am comtemplating either making the fuel mixture more rich,
or possibly retarding the timing a degree. Any other thoughs out there? Thanks.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenzoil View Post
Well, I "cleaned" the carbon from the motor as suggested. Still have a lot of after shut off dieseling. I plan on putting in the inline fuel pump anyways. I checked timing and it was right on the button. I am comtemplating either making the fuel mixture more rich,
or possibly retarding the timing a degree. Any other thoughs out there? Thanks.
Assuming the engine is running at normal temperature, it's not likely that retarding the timing will help because the ignition is off while it is dieseling.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:16 PM

Question

maybe I should just trying make it run more rich ?

Old 10-22-2012, 10:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What is the idle speed hot in gear if automatic or neutral if manual trans??? Also, any idea what temp the motor is running? Temp gage on motor??

POCI.org
Old 10-22-2012, 10:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Getting your idle as low as possible may help.