Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-07-2012, 07:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Bad fuel gauge, sending unit, or.....

Sorry for all the questions guys, but wierd stuff keeps happening. Took the bird for a drive yesterday for the first time in a while. I thought it was getting low on gas last time I drove it, but the gauge showed 3/4 tank so I just figured I must have filled it last time. Well guess what. I ran out of gas with the gauge showing 3/4 full. I added a gallon and the gauge went way past full. Got it running and stopped at a station, added 4 more gallons, and the gauge showed just below full. Would this more likely be a bad gauge or a bad sending unit? It used to always show way past full when filled with gas, and was empty when it showed 1/4, but now it is all over the place.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Most likely its the sending unit. Although, it sounds like a bad ground.

I had a similar issue and my fix was to add a ground wire from the cluster to the body. This allowed me to track the bad wire.

I would start at the back and work forward. Confirm good grounds with jumper wire direct to the negative post. Then check voltage at the sender. You can also pull the sender to check the ohm range, make sure the float is still buoyant and make sure the arm isn't hanging up.

Take a methodical approach and you'll end up buying only the parts you really need.

Dave

Fishing guide in the Washington state for Salmon, Steelhead and Sturgeon. Fish-On!
Old 11-07-2012, 11:18 PM

When reinstalling my fuel tank I over tightened the straps that hold the tank which sandwiched the wire that runs across the top. It ground out the sending wire affecting the gauge reading. I loosened the straps a bit and it started working correctly. Worth a look if you recently removed your tank.