THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:51 AM
Senior Chief

Default Electrical question

A friend and I were talking about losing power during the hurricane and portable generators and snaking the extension cords through windows/doors, whatever, into the house to power us the fridge, lights, etc.
So he says to me: What if he took an extension cord, cut off the female end, install a male end there, and make the connection between the generator and an exterior outlet?
Then go to the electric panel, throw the breaker on that circuit, fire up the generator, and have power on that one circuit! And no danger of the power going out on the grid.
I'm no electrician, but I'm thinking there has gotta be something wrong here!
What do you guys think?

Old 11-16-2012, 12:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Why don't you wire the generator to the electrical box . No more extension cords . You have to be selective on what you run . It depends on the size of the generator .

Old 11-16-2012, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not that way... all I can see is Sparks and FIRE. IIRC... You can do it by back feeding into the 220 dryer outlet with the Main turned off. That way it's going thru a 50 amp breaker and feeding the other breakers.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's commonly called a suicide cord. There are a couple reasons.

First, you have a cord with energized male ends on it, so it's easy to electrocute yourself.

Secondly, it's against code to backfeed a panel; there has to be a failsafe of method turning off the main power at the same time you energize the generator. People always say, "Well, it's safe as long as I remember to turn off the main breaker first", but they can't guarantee that will happen at 3am when they're tired and it's dark and they're scrambling to get the furnace running again. The failsafe method is generally a transfer switch, but it could be mechanically interlocked main and standby circuit breakers or some other approved method.

If the main breaker isn't turned off, power from the generator goes back out on the power lines outside. It's at 240vac, but when it gets to the transformer on the pole it's stepped up to 13,800 volts (or whatever primary voltage the electric utility in your area uses.) Any lineman who's working out there to restore power may be electrocuted.

(note that I use the word electrocution...an electric shock may hurt, but electrocution is when you're killed.)

Here is a link to an article from an older issue of Popular Mechanics that does a good job of showing how to properly set your house up for a portable generator. http://ne.mara.net/generator/pm_gen_install.pdf

Old 11-16-2012, 12:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Stu, I should mention that I don't agree with back feeding from a portable generator. The tranfer switch is the only proper way to go..... especially for those that have no clue how this all works safely.

I know a lot of people did it around here during the hurricane, but I just stood there and cringed when they told me what they did.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.

Last edited by GT182; 11-16-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, a lot of people do it that way and no one gets hurt, but that doesn't mean it's safe - I'm a professional electrical engineer and a big part of my work is designing generator backup systems, so this topic is a hot button for me.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:05 PM
Suspended

Stu & GT are correct in your safety tips... But this is an accident waiting to happen IMO...w a BIG potential loss of life.

This Thread should be pulled ASAP!!!

Old 11-16-2012, 01:12 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks, guys, for your replies.
I KNEW something was wrong with what my friend was thinking! There are too many things that can go wrong.
I'll pass this along to hopefully protect him from himself - like burning down his house or electrocuting someone!

Old 11-16-2012, 03:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

They also say ,even if you have your main breaker off when back feeding your panel. You have to disconnect the main neutral wire . Somehow it can back feed the grid and shock a lineman working on the poles....

Old 11-16-2012, 03:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdx455 View Post
They also say ,even if you have your main breaker off when back feeding your panel. You have to disconnect the main neutral wire . Somehow it can back feed the grid and shock a lineman working on the poles....
Newer code requires that, but not older Switchboxes for generators have it

Old 11-16-2012, 03:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

wiring is no hobby
call a professional electrician

Old 11-16-2012, 05:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just fyi. I have wired hundreds of transfer switches from 60 amp to 1200amps automatic and manuel. Ran into switched neutral twice because enginer wanted it, not electrical codes. If your panel is installed properly, (bonding the neutral to ground) you can't backfeed to the pole threw the neutral.
With all the power outages of late I have been back feeding my house with a generater. Can't stress enough turn that main breaker OFF if you ever plan on doing this. Can't stress enough if you don't know how DON'T.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

After working 35 years on power outages due to storms I've seen a lot. 98% of the people who aren't electricians don't have a clue what they're getting into when jerry-rigging for temporary power. Try working 18-20 hours a day for 3 or 4 days and then coming across an 'unusual' situation. Mad hardly defines it.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbys View Post
After working 35 years on power outages due to storms I've seen a lot. 98% of the people who aren't electricians don't have a clue what they're getting into when jerry-rigging for temporary power. Try working 18-20 hours a day for 3 or 4 days and then coming across an 'unusual' situation. Mad hardly defines it.
Ive seen every trick in the book
replaced a meter base because the meter was booted and owner wanted power.
Used auto jumper cables to hot wire past meter. Across the top side.........
made quite a mess of everything including him.Neighbor said the guy had done it before....
correctly,phase to phase,line to load. I guess the Darwin came out in him the last time.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammer-6 View Post
the last time.
That sums it up.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:17 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbys View Post
I'm confused how a non-union person does storm work and power outages? This does not compute.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's common (at least around here) to "network" the neutrals in a house. In other words, tie all the neutrals together in a junction box, no matter what circuit they are on. You have to be careful to shut off all breakers that share a neutral with the circuit you are working on. You'll get a tingle depending on the load on the other circuit(s).

Old 11-16-2012, 09:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My Pops had a Transfer box installed in 2005, after a discussion, he had an professional electrician come and do it. Since my pops likes facts, I bought the 05 NEC and showed him.. Its 2012.. he has a different, local, electrician over to remove an old 2 prong outlet, and install a 3 prong, new wire, easy access, 1 hour job...He tells my Pops that he will not do any work on the house because the transfer switch is wrong. So , next time I am over, He calls the guy, who comes back, I place the NEC on the table and ask him to show me how its wrong. he starts in on the ground deal, but I said this was done in 05, it IS safe and legal... he finally relented, think he was trying to sell about $1000 dollars more work.....

Old 11-16-2012, 09:21 PM
Suspended

The NEC book is pretty steep isn't it?

Old 11-17-2012, 12:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

50-60 bucks I think I spent on that book, and fine print is what its all about!@