Old 11-16-2012, 10:35 PM
Senior Chief

Default calling 65 experts

This video claims $150,000 restoration. Can you find all the things that are not correct with the car.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw3tCKTZRog

Old 11-17-2012, 12:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Beautiful car! The only thing I saw that isn't right is the exhaust splitters. The ends of the pipes should be visible from the sides of the car, but they face rearward.

You can criticize the paint for being too perfect, nothing like a new '65 GTO even after buffing, but it sure looks nice!!

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 11-17-2012, 09:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Seat covers front & rear are sloppy , loose . Other than that beautiful 65 .

Old 11-17-2012, 10:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It could have been the camera angle, but the exhaust splitters appear to be mounted differently on each side. To me, they were not even remotely close to the same position.

The end of the video - where they state that it could be one of one... I just hate that kind of hyperbole.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:17 AM
Boost Engineer

Splitters, Gas Tank not installed exactly straight, Paint "Perfect", no plastic back window (always hard to make look right).

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

washer bottle ..color
master cyl ..line to left
battery
plastic shroud
pcv hose bracket
carb. studs.. no paint tips

My name not on title

Old 11-17-2012, 02:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well - I don't know what's wrong with my youtube (I can watch about 15 seconds and then it quits) but I saw enough to know those splitters are totally whacked. I'm not sure they are even the right parts (F body splitters are commonly used incorrectly).

What does the seller think would make this car potentially one of one?

We need to get the VIN to bigpop/Bill Murrell for their registry, assuming it is an actual tripower 4 speed convertible.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 11-17-2012, 04:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

front and back seat covers have patterns pointing in wrong direction in the sitting portions. Front seats could have had covers reversed when installing but the pattern is sewn incorrectly in the rear.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:31 PM
Senior Chief

You guys caught alot things, some that i had to go back and look. The interior is the biggest goof up with the diagonal lines going in the wrong direction on front and back seats. I have never seen a back seat messed up like that before. How about the signal light switch stalk, I think that is from a differerent year car. dld--- you mentioned the plastic shroud, what do you see wrong there?

Old 11-17-2012, 05:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

should be metal....if you buy the car i have the correct one LOL

Old 11-17-2012, 06:25 PM
Senior Chief

oh i was just referring to the shroud and you were referring to the plastic. The shroud should be there just not plastic. How about the caution fan sticker, that should not be on the shroud itself.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:00 PM
Senior Chief

Looks like a very nice car but to have $150,000 in a restoration the owner had to have hired everything out as opposed to having built it. There is nothing wrong with that, but to me, the most satisfying part of the car hobby is actually doing as much as I can myself.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default calling 65 experts

I reallze the lighting does strange things with paint color, but narrator mentions nightwatch blue as color a few times and to me it looks like blue charcoal.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Must be nice to say all that, then go to sleep at night and not have nightmares from a guilty conscience. LOL I sure would love to see the real PHS documents on it. And I see on the website they had a link to that it was sold.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:03 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This car sold for $89,900.00 last year.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:03 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to RA6T7GTO

directional lever and tilt lever are 67 style with the black plastic on the ends should be all metal on a 65

Old 11-18-2012, 02:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool over hyped car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Option 382 View Post
You guys caught alot things, some that i had to go back and look. The interior is the biggest goof up with the diagonal lines going in the wrong direction on front and back seats. I have never seen a back seat messed up like that before. How about the signal light switch stalk, I think that is from a differerent year car. dld--- you mentioned the plastic shroud, what do you see wrong there?
Since we are talking seats, (And on a very high bucks resto) shouldn't the seat covers, etc have a "whiter" color than the repro yellowish stuff?

I have noticed many cars on Ebay that have these seat pattern errors in different colors. The rear seat diagonal mistake is one that an aftermarket manufacturer made but I don't know which one did it. I suppose that after a while, they learned of their mistake (or they went out of business).

That car appears to be a poorly restored car with it having so many defects. When you start pricing a GTO in the same range as a nice 57 Bonnevlle, there is something very bad wrong.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
Looks like a very nice car but to have $150,000 in a restoration the owner had to have hired everything out as opposed to having built it. There is nothing wrong with that, but to me, the most satisfying part of the car hobby is actually doing as much as I can myself.
Me too!

1965 Le Mans Convertible 326HO
1965 GTO 4 speed Convertible
1964 Olds 442 real!
1930 Model A Coupe (current project)
1927 T Roadster traditional style Hot Rod

All of these cars are heaps...but I like them!
Old 11-18-2012, 09:54 PM
Boost Engineer

If you paid Scott Tieman $150,000 to do a car like that I guarantee that you would have gotten a lot more for your $150K.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow, I know that car, as RM had it for sale about a year or so ago. I called just after they sold it, to a guy in California. I asked the salesman if he could forward my name and phone #, so as to add it to the 65 Registry. ( go Keith!) Never heard a word back, big surprise.
The interesting part, I almost sold an NOS Tail Light Panel, to the owner 12+ years ago. It has to be the same car. The owner lived in Florida,and I called and talked to him.
The car was listed in Hemming's at the time. He complained that the car needed a TLP,
and he bought an NOS one, that was shelf worn. I sent him a few photos of mine, near perfect, but he didn't think he could resell the first one as NOS,and install the one I offered him.
I may still have that Hemming's, I'll check, but, this car is exactly like the original Florida guy's car. They are near impossible to find with factory A/C,3x2,4 speed in a
convertible. Our 65 Registry, has about 3-4 Bill Murrell and I have found in about two years. And, 6T5GTO has it right, it sold for around $89K.
In an economic recession,a price increase of $60K seems a tad ....uh...CRAZY.
I am going to call tomorrow and see if I can trip up the salesman,and get to the truth.
On the things wrong, the tape was a bit fast, and, when I stoppped it after a few frames at a time, some times it was blurry.You got alot of the mistakes, but1) Isn't the Voltage Regulator mounted wrong? 2) Master Cylander should really be flat black,and, the Cap and Booster are no where near correctly plated.( typical new age Gold Iridate)
3) Didn't see the Wire Holder, on the drivers side, bolted under the last Valve Cover screw, and that is seeing it once, kinda fast. In person, I could find a few more things
that are not correct, but, for that price, "hey, close enough!" Larry B.