Old 12-27-2012, 07:43 PM

Default 1968 Firebird Ram Air I engine block

I have been restoring my uncle's '68 Firebird Ram Air I, with the body and interior mostly complete. I am trying to get it all back to numbers matching parts. While the drivetrain and transmission are all original at some point the engine got switched out for a later edition 350 (why my uncle did this I don't know).

So I am looking for the correct engine block for the car (engine code WI) and am having a devil of a time finding one. Anyone out there have one or know where to look? I've seen plenty of GTO Ram Air blocks, but not exactly matching.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:14 PM
Senior Chief

Check with Ron Johnson at Potomac Classic Pontiac in Frederick Md.I sold him a WI block about 8-10 years ago.If he does not have it he may know where to get one.Dont have his # right off hand but you can search him and I am sure it will come up.Hope this helps.
Shawn

67 GTO 455,Super T-10,Wenzler Ram
79 Trans Am 455 Pro Stick Racing
2005 Thunder Mountain Blackhawk 103"
2019 Street Glide 114"
Old 12-27-2012, 09:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Boss,you got one?

Old 12-27-2012, 10:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nope, but there is one here on the board - not sure if he will let it go.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 12-27-2012, 11:46 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
Nope, but there is one here on the board - not sure if he will let it go.
We have one and would love to see it find its way into a RA1 bird. But.. it comes with a price that is in line with any other genuine, production line, '2506 block.

PM me if you would like to discuss. Will

Old 12-28-2012, 08:24 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Potomac Pontiac -301 668-0101. Just ask for Ron.

"We have got but one life here. It pays, no matter what comes after it, to try and do things, to accomplish things in this life and not merely to have a soft and pleasant time." - Theodore Roosevelt

"Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak." - A father's words of wisdom to his children
Old 12-29-2012, 01:04 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the tips. Ron, tajunkman, I'm on the road for the holiday right now, but I'll get ahold of you next week.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:25 PM

Default '68 RAI

I hyave a fully rebuiolt RAI service replacemant carb if you are interested.

Email me direct at p.markey4510@comcast.net

Old 01-05-2013, 06:50 PM

Default Ram air 1 carb.

You're going to have a heck of a time trying to find or trying to find someone to let loose
of their 7028277 carb. Unless of course you already have one. I'Ve been looking for over 10 years. Good luck.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And the carb is even tougher to find when there are two different designs. The earlier carbs used the '67 style body, and the later carbs used the '68 style body. I've yet to see a changeover date advertised anywhere, but I jumped at the opportunity to purchase an original carb ('68 body style) when the opportunity presented itself. The purchase price of $3750.00 took some time to get over, even if it was concourse retored.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKBRD View Post
And the carb is even tougher to find when there are two different designs. The earlier carbs used the '67 style body, and the later carbs used the '68 style body. I've yet to see a changeover date advertised anywhere, but I jumped at the opportunity to purchase an original carb ('68 body style) when the opportunity presented itself. The purchase price of $3750.00 took some time to get over, even if it was concourse retored.
I have a semi restored complete numbers matching 7028277 (early style) but only one thing's missing: its original id tag.

I've advertised/offered top dollar for one for many years. I've literally searched high and low for many many years and came up empty. I've run across original RAII's, RAIII's, and RAIV's but one little dime sized piece of aluminum? As they say in New York..."forget about it".

Old 02-13-2013, 06:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspecter View Post
I have been restoring my uncle's '68 Firebird Ram Air I, with the body and interior mostly complete. I am trying to get it all back to numbers matching parts. While the drivetrain and transmission are all original at some point the engine got switched out for a later edition 350 (why my uncle did this I don't know).

So I am looking for the correct engine block for the car (engine code WI) and am having a devil of a time finding one. Anyone out there have one or know where to look? I've seen plenty of GTO Ram Air blocks, but not exactly matching.

So did you ever locate a block?

Old 03-02-2014, 03:49 PM

did you ever find a WI block?