Old 01-06-2013, 11:27 PM

russ i dont know what you can call mikes car, he has a corvette front, a mustang rear and pontiac body, maybe a 2013 cormus pontiac. its definite a different car..

Old 01-13-2013, 07:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

quick update.
getting a ford 9 inch rear in the next month, anyone want a stock 8.2, believe the gears are 2.56.

took advantage of the nice day we had today.
Got the frame off the body tilter and into the garage. Still hanging on the engine hoist, need to get that 8.2 rear out of the garage before I can set the frame down. That and a few more jack stands. Then I can start ASSEMBLY!!!!!!!

Russ

Old 01-17-2013, 10:55 AM

thats cool, I opted for the ford 8.8.

let me know if you need help welding the brackets on.

I just bought a new 110/220 mig lincoln welder.

you need something like this for the A body. Unless you already are setup for the abody brackets?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Deluxe-Kit-9...3bd9c5&vxp=mtr

Or maybe talk to "Quick Performance"? They might have the "kit" but they don't list it, that guy seemed okay when i talked to him.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-Ford-nine-...item3cce1f2324

http://stores.ebay.com/Quick-Perform...fsub=493674017

Quote:
Originally Posted by russosborne View Post
quick update.
getting a ford 9 inch rear in the next month, anyone want a stock 8.2, believe the gears are 2.56.

took advantage of the nice day we had today.
Got the frame off the body tilter and into the garage. Still hanging on the engine hoist, need to get that 8.2 rear out of the garage before I can set the frame down. That and a few more jack stands. Then I can start ASSEMBLY!!!!!!!

Russ

Old 01-19-2013, 10:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Mike,
The 9inch rear is already setup for an Abody. Was in a 71 Lemans. Otherwise I was going to go with the Quick Performance Abody setup. But this is a better deal financially. Just have to have the spool taken out and a diff put in. Thinking about an auburn unit, but going to wait and see how much I spend on the rest of the car.

Speaking of which, guess what I did today. I put the front suspension/brakes on I am buying from you. Not the coils or shocks though. Will need to get a coil spring compressor for that.
The frame wasn't really ready, but I got too impatient and really wanted to see something ON the car. I can still do most of what needs done with the stuff on the car. Not being able to blast it I am not going to have it looking as nice as I want it anyway.

If the IRS wasn't being such a pain by not processing the returns until the end of the month I would be getting the rear and a whole lot more next weekend. But now it is going to drag into Feb. before I can spend any money.

Russ

Last edited by russosborne; 01-19-2013 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:05 PM

russ if you get near here i have a set of spring compressors... by the way i am having a hard time going to sleep i just cannot wait to get up in the morning to hear mikes next idea

Old 01-23-2013, 09:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hmm, I might be that way this weekend. Not sure but my wife wants to try a new (to us) place to eat in Stow called Moe's, I think.

Yeah, I bet. That 8.8 he wants to put in the car ought to be able to work, I mean with a decent welder and plasma cutter you guys should be able to make a 5 ton truck rear fit.
The 9 inch ones are stronger, not sure why he wants the 8.8. But I bet somebody is selling them already modified to fit the Abodies.
Unless he is talking about an IRS Ford, those are worthless for real power.

Russ

Old 01-23-2013, 09:41 PM

the 8.8 he wants is a roush rear end ... moes is on graham rd so you will go by .. i should be home all day so just stop. i will have to see where i have the compressors

Old 01-23-2013, 10:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well, that one should be a tad stronger. :-)
Sounds good, it'll be in the afternoon. If you aren't home no biggie, my wife REALLY wants to try that place so it won't be a wasted trip.
Russ

Old 01-24-2013, 01:41 PM

russ i found the spring compressors. i should be home but if not i will set them out on my deck and you can just stop by and get them,,, also moes is in a little plasa on the corner of graham and fishcreek ... if you come from rt59 and turn right on fishcreek when you get to graham moes would be to your right across from the bp station in a small plasa

Old 01-24-2013, 05:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ok, got it.
See you Saturday.
Thanks,
Russ

Old 02-06-2013, 04:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well, just placed two large (to me) orders. One with Summit and one with UMI Performance. Averaged $600 each.

I had to cut way back, my daily driver must have known we had money. Had to buy tires for it this morning. Can't really complain, the old ones had just under 60K miles. But it always happens.
So I concentrated on chassis/suspension/gauges. That will still be enough to get the body back on the frame and the electrical done.

Good thing (as my wife keeps telling me) is that we had the money.

Now if the weather would just warm up a bit.

Russ

Old 02-07-2013, 02:26 PM

once your on the downslope everything feels better.

I have to hack the back of my frame off, Ive already hacked the front off.

Once I get the back part together and the rear end figured out I will be back on the downhill.

My dad is like slap a 10 bolt in it... why do that?...

I was like uhh no... I am not into half arsing the build. my 475 hp will snap a 10 bolt in about a second and everyone in the world would go wtf what an idiot...

I swear I have to answer this question every time I buy something...

Why do that??? I have heard that question 1000 times now. So at least your wife isn't second guessing every purchase

I will be mini tubbing the car to be able to run big tires if I want.

I may have to have the Ford Mustang rear end cut down though... Its the 650 hp version though out of a GT500. I got it for 1100$ shipped from Roush, they had some leftovers available. 3.73

Old 02-07-2013, 03:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

"So at least your wife isn't second guessing every purchase"

: pound:
Not what I buy, but for sure why I am buying.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

well, I got the 9inch rear home Saturday. Now I have to figure out how to arrange things so I can get it where it belongs.
Still waiting for the suspension stuff from UMI. When I placed the order I got a message saying 4-7 working days delay before shipping. Guess they have to build the stuff.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:08 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

the UMI stuff got here today. Only problem is it is too dark to really unpack and oogle the stuff. i'll have to try to wake up a little early so I can do it in the daylight.
Russ

Old 02-23-2013, 12:28 PM

russ i was watching spike tv this morning, powerblock and they showed a better way to put the front suspension parts on, instead of using the spring compressors they used a length of looked to be 3/4 inch all thread long enough to go thru the lower control arm and the upper one , then just screwed down with a nut and washer on top to compress the coil spring,.. doing it this way keeps the coil spring in alignment ... then bolt in the lower arm and the top... you might be able to find this show as they usually repeat it..

Old 02-25-2013, 05:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks.
I'd have to undo the arms to do that. Might be worth trying if I ever get back out to the garage to do anything. Just haven't had the energy lately. I still haven't unpacked the UMI stuff even. I am hoping I will feel more like doing stuff once it starts to warm up a bit.
Definitely in one of my worse depression modes right now. Having to keep trying to convince myself I can actually get this thing back together. Such is life.
Russ

Old 02-25-2013, 05:49 PM

russ you are correct, this cold weather sucks.. but just realize how far you have gone and how cool the finish will be. when i think about how much mike has to do iam overwelmed. as i have said when you need help just say so. maybe in a coulple weeks the weather will warm up and we both can get some more done

Old 03-17-2013, 08:45 PM

russ any up date,,i know the weather has been crappy and will be yet for at least 2 more weeks..???mike and i am going to build a wooden cradle to put the pontiac on about 36 inches high with wheels on ..need to get another engine hoist from harbor friegth when they get one in.. its just to much to lift the body without having 2 of them..when we get the body off the frame we should be able to get back on the frame work.. chuck

Old 03-18-2013, 03:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Haven't done a darn thing with the car. Keep hoping for a decent weekend to work on the Explorer. Getting very depressed having two cars waiting on me to get to them. This coming weekend isn't looking any better. Come on spring!
I still haven't even unpacked the UMI order I got several weeks ago, and I still have lots of boxes in the living room, most of those are for the Explorer from just before the heart attack.