Old 02-24-2013, 08:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default tri-power help-brass block-front carb

I've put a kit in the front carb of our '64 GTO. It became apparent that I did not have the fuel block screwed in quite far enough as there was a very slight seepage of fuel. I remember being worried about that last year, but a full turn was not possible without risking cracking the top plate of the pot metal carb. Therefore I used teflon tape to help prevent a leak. Evidently it was not enough.
Question being---do I use another wrap or two with the teflon tape or is there another alternative? I know it's a risk to use the tape because of a piece messing with the needle/ seat. What are you guys using for this issue?
Thanks for the help.

Cap

Cap & Robin Proffitt-GTOAA PR & Member Recruitment Team
Old 02-25-2013, 08:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Try another brass block , as chances of the thread starting in the same area is slim . Teflon is no good , only seals under extreme pressure .

Old 02-25-2013, 08:07 AM

Try Pontiac Tripower, This is the best way to go. http://www.pontiactripower.com/shop/...eads-end-carbs

Old 02-25-2013, 06:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

may need to put new threads in the air horn.
i'd try running the appropriate die up that fitting and see if you can get an extra thread on it. i've done this couple times and this has sealed them back up.
some where down the road you'll need new threads... mike at pontiac tripower does a nice job.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Got it ! Thanks for the input guys.
Mike does a fabulous job. He has gone through the set up for our '65 and it was flawless. I was just hoping there was a simpler fix vs. sending it. I'll try chasing the threads to make a few new ones first....I also have a new brass block that I got from Mike earlier....I'll try that also. Again thanks!
Cap

Cap & Robin Proffitt-GTOAA PR & Member Recruitment Team
Old 02-27-2013, 09:57 AM

You can always do what I did. I too had a problem where the block would bottom out prior to being tight. I used a small amount - with emphasis on small - of JB Weld on the threads of the brass fitting. I made sure there was none within two threads of the end of the nipple and screwed it in. All you need is enough to fill the thread gaps, nothing more. Otherwise you will get it inside the carb and that is bad. lay the carb top on the bowl and be sure the lines will bolt up prior to doing this, then make a mark for proper orientation. It has been on there for a year now without any problems and you cannot see the JB Weld at all.