Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 12-03-2012, 08:46 PM

Cool "69 Vert with Driver Side Swag"

Installed new spring and shocks on 69 Lemans Convertible. Springs from Advance (TRW) if I remember correctly. Project almost complete but drivers side rear is 3/4 inches lower than passenger side and "noticable". I absolutely can't figure it out. Can a new spring come "weaker"? There is no insulator on either side. Appreciate your comments or experience!

Old 12-04-2012, 05:01 PM

My '68 convertible has the same lean. Drivers side is at least an inch lower than the passenger side of the car. I put air shocks on with separate air valves to try and level it out but even with 100 psi on the drivers side and 25 psi on the passenger side its still not level. Its noticeable looking at the back of the car. My car has adjustable upper control arms. I tried lowering the passenger side but no change and the drivers side is froze and I couldn't raise it. I'm going to take them off and adjust them on the bench. The car had been raced before I bought it and a friend suggested that it may have been set up that way so that when it torqued at launch it launched straight. I don't know but the lean bugs me and I probably wont be "seriously" drag racing it. I'm going to get an angle gauge to check pinion angles after adjusting the control arms, but does anybody have any input on this? We just rebuilt the front end and car tracks straight down the road, just has that annoying (to me anyway) lean.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:28 AM

Well ... I have now verfied that chasis is straight. The relationship from body to chasis (body bushings) is ok. Leaving a specific suspension issue.

I have found in the PY catalog "spacers" for the front springs that fit in the lower controll arm bucket. I suppose this has been an issue for others as these exist. I also read that 1 inch in spacer height in the front equals 2 inches of lift. Does anyone know if this is correct?

I also found a "rear" spring spacer (solid metal) (Global West) that fits under or over rear spring and claims not to effect ride or performance of rear springs. I think this may be better than the several "spring inserts" that I currently have installed to get the drivers side up in the rear. Also read that 1 inch lift in rear spring equals 1 inch lift to body. Any comments welcomed.

Merry Christmas
Steve

Old 12-21-2012, 08:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Have you tried swapping the springs left to right?

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 12-21-2012, 10:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

is the spring bucket bent?
good idea on the swap Chris

Old 12-22-2012, 09:45 AM

Wiill try swapping the springs. The "bucket" appears ok. Thanks... will update.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

While you are swapping the springs set them up on the floor and see if they are the same height. I went thru this issue on my 64 Impala. I was not happy to see one was an inch taller than the other. Springs sit a long time before selling if 2 or 3 boxes fall apart an inept parts man will rebox and not do a good job.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

First, make sure the springs are installed correctly with the top side (common mistake) actually at the top. Also, make sure the top of the spring fits correctly in the frame. With stock springs, all you had to do was to make sure the end of the bottom coil was visible in the slot in the lower control arm. With aftermarket springs (that don't have the flat upper coil), it's more difficult to orient the spring properly since you have to compress the spring, raise the lower control arm to where you THINK the end of the bottom coil will appear in the slot, only to find out that it covers the slot (or not visible at all) once buttoned up.

One thing for sure is that the upper frame pocket has a "stop, if you will" that if the orientation of the spring lets it sit on that stop, you will have the problem you describe.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:03 PM
Senior Chief

x2 on what the boss said. Had that happen when I put springs on my vert.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Are they indexed properly?

69 OHC ZH Sprint Hurst 3 Speed 3:55 (1 of 213)
99 Valkyrie 1520cc Flat 6 108hp/110tq - For Sale
http://sohcsix.yuku.com/forums/1/OHC-lounge
Wanted: 1969 OHC "H" Camshaft
Old 01-01-2013, 09:13 PM
Senior Chief

I had a similar problem with my 67 after all new springs and bushings, except the pass side rear was lower...ended up putting anodized aluminum spacers above the rear coils to pick up the back, then added a 3/4 spacer under the RF spring...not bad now

Old 03-24-2013, 09:19 PM

THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENTS FELLOWS. I REPLACED THE NEW SPRINGS ON FRONT WITH NEW 1' DROP SPRINGS AND BEHOLD .... THE CAR IS LEVEL ON ALL FOUR CORNERS. MIGHT HAVE GOTTEN TO AGGRESSIVE WITH THE DROP THOU. WITH THE DROPED SPINDLES AND 1 INCH DROP SPRINGS IT'LL GIVE A CHIPMUNK A CLOSE CUT :>) !