Old 04-22-2013, 01:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hi gang and Joe, well the article is online now at my blog. That was fun to write up. Your Dad must be over the moon. Pat
http://phscollectorcarworld.blogspot...ntiac-gto.html

Old 04-22-2013, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Outstanding.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Damn Joe, the poor man was speechless!

I'm sure you know just what an incredibly generous gift that was you gave your father. I hope it means as much to him as it did for you!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 04-22-2013, 09:49 PM
Senior Chief

Awesome Joe! That was hands down the coolest thing I have seen in a long time!

69' Judge R/A III 4-speed, Mayfair Maize/black interior.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:17 PM
Senior Chief

Joe , WOW, What a great thing to do for your dad!
He should be really proud of you and the awesome job you did on the GTO

btw I just realized I think I sold you the tail light bezels for this car!

Brent

Last edited by 6804gto; 04-22-2013 at 10:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-22-2013, 10:57 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by webfoot View Post
This story needs to be in a magazine, or something. I would love to do something like this for my dad someday. He loves the early 50s chev pickups.
Thank you! Yes, it would be cool, but it needs to fall into the right hands first. Don't even have a clue as to where to start on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
Damn Joe, the poor man was speechless!

I'm sure you know just what an incredibly generous gift that was you gave your father. I hope it means as much to him as it did for you!
Yes he was! He didn't know what to think. A full day later it still hasn't sunk in I don't think. And yes, now that the car is gone from the house here, it leaves a giant void....I've come attached to the car and the habit of going out and wrenching on it every night for well over a year....I feel like something is missing, yet I feel like I have done a rare deed and made a dream come true for the person who made me who I am today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigborehunter View Post
Hi gang and Joe, well the article is online now at my blog. That was fun to write up. Your Dad must be over the moon. Pat
http://phscollectorcarworld.blogspot...ntiac-gto.html
Thanks Pat!!! Man you didn't have to do that, but it that is really cool! Glad I could be part of your blog there. Alot of interesting other reads there to boot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6804gto View Post
Joe , WOW, What a great thing to do for your dad!
He should be really proud of you and the awesome job you did on the GTO

btw I just realized I think I sold you the tail light bezels for this car!

Brent
Thanks Brent, and yes, you sold them to me. They still look just as good as the day you sent them.

Ok guys, I really wanted to say thanks to everyone that has taken the time to post. What a great bunch of people that Performance Years has on here. I've been a Chevy guy all my life and have been partial to Poncho's simply because of the stories my old man told me. I've been part of other message boards, namely being Camaro oriented, and I will flat out tell you that there is a complete difference in the types of people between Chevy and Pontiac folks. Not that anyone is better than the other, but just different....all good tho, but I'm not sure how to pin it down, but Poncho guys.....well, I like it here

Ok, so I'm going to try to get him to join here and see if he can post or comment. Give him some time to let all this sink in....he is still in awe of the entire thing.

Again, thanks to everyone. I've made some great friends here on PY and hope to stick around for a long time.

~Joe

Build thread for my poppa ~~> CLICKY CLICKY
Old 04-22-2013, 11:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Joe,

I have to say that the only thing we really did was to encourage you.

YOU are the one that made this great story happen!

You deserve all the cheers we can come up with!

Charles

Old 04-22-2013, 11:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The cool thing is nobody turned on you after you openly admitted to being a chevy fan! (I have 3 of em)

1968 GTO 4-spd convertible, console, factory gauges, hidden headlights, 3.90:1 posi, AM/FM radio.

1962 Catalina convertible, Starlight black w maroon interior & white top.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokamo View Post
. Give him some time to let all this sink in....he is still in awe of the entire thing.

Again, thanks to everyone. I've made some great friends here on PY and hope to stick around for a long time.

~Joe
We hope to keep you around too KokamoJoe .
You're a real inspiration to mankind on the whole .

That gift was so generous and commited it is just - unreal .
Probably gonna take your Dad weeks or months of pinching himself for it to fully absorb.

That was a huge token of love to drop all at 1 time on the ol' man .

Did he ask you if you won a lottery or something yet ? lol

Old 04-23-2013, 06:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If he reads this thread he'll definitely be speechless!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 04-23-2013, 11:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, you need to stick around Joe. I'll probably have some vinyl top questions later in the summer.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:07 PM
Senior Chief

Lolz, guys I ain't goin nowhere. Thanks for all the kudos. My old man deserves it!

Old 04-25-2013, 05:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

We just need to get you into your own Pontiac now Joe.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well the blog article is being picked up by the Toronto Star newspaper's Wheels section.
Was contacted by editor. Will let you know when it happens.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:24 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here is a link to the Toronto Star online version of their automotive section. The biggest newspaper in Canada. They liked the story, it's growing legs and a good chance Joe will get published in one of the car mags. Joe will probably will be approached directly by one of them soon. Congratulations and happy birthday, Cary.

Here is a link to it.
http://www.wheels.ca/feature/return-...ored-1969-gto/

Old 04-26-2013, 11:59 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigborehunter View Post
Here is a link to the Toronto Star online version of their automotive section. The biggest newspaper in Canada. They liked the story, it's growing legs and a good chance Joe will get published in one of the car mags. Joe will probably will be approached directly by one of them soon. Congratulations and happy birthday, Cary.

Here is a link to it.
http://www.wheels.ca/feature/return-...ored-1969-gto/
WOW! Freakin awesome! I can't wipe the smile from my face as I type this. Good job Patrick! I hope to hear from them soon! That would be sooooo cool!

Ozzman, yessir. After I get caught up around the house here from putting things off for over a year, then letting my wallet somewhat recover, I plan to do some side jobs here and there to build up some funds, then I will be on the hunt for a 69 Firebird 400 Vert with an auto so that my wife can cruise with me and my Camaro (with a 6 speed....and she ain't learnin' how to drive a stick in my car...that's for damn sure). The Firebird was actually on my list before the GTO really. Still gonna build one some day. How is that Goat project of yours coming?

On another note, on Wednesday my father and I went to take care of the title work to the car. We took off work together, drove to his house to pick up the GTO. From there we had to drive (6 miles) into town to do this paperwork (required state inspection and VIN verification). Guys, this was his first time to drive it on the highway. On his birthday he was a little to tilted back with adult beverages to even think about driving (I know I would be too on my birthday), so Wednesday was his first chance to drive it. Man I tell ya, you couldn't wipe that smile from his face with a baseball bat. I could really tell it brought him back as he told me old stories and how things were on his old car back in the day. Once we got the car insured, inspected, and registered, we stopped for a burger at the local joint and headed back to the house (so we could both go back to work)...as soon as we were out of the city limits, boy he opened that thing up and let er rip. I know I haven't driven her much myself, and when I did, I never pushed her hard at all. I think I topped her out at like 70 maybe, just being careful and all.....oh no, not him, that thing was up to 85-90 in no time and stayed there for the next 6 miles strait! I was getting pretty nervous glancing over at the hood tach and seeing a tad over 4K rpm the entire time. He saw my concern and told me the ole Poncho should be able to take it because that's what he did everywhere he went, even for much longer trips back in the day....and I'll tell ya, the ole girl did it without one single hiccup. Lolz, as he parked it, turned it off and we got out, we could smell the paint baking off the heads (by the manifolds)...the entire time he had one of those ear to ear grins the entire time. That was awesome!

So today, he jumped in the car and brought it to work for everyone to see. It sure was a spectacle....everyone checking it out and telling him how good it looks without even knowing the story on it. I parked my Camaro next to it, but the ole green goat got more attention for sure. At the end of the day I watched him leave....man what a great feeling it was to see the old man leave knowing that he now owns one of the coolest cars on the planet and will be something he will cherish for the rest of his time here.

Again, thanks for everything guys! You all have been so helpful with this entire build and I cannot thank you all enough!!!

~Joe

The Following User Says Thank You to Kokamo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2013, 06:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Joe,

It is we who thank you for everything! What a priviledge to be "involved" with this from the start. You made us feel like family.

Charles

Old 04-27-2013, 04:19 PM
Senior Chief

Very well put Charles, I agree!

Denny

69' Judge R/A III 4-speed, Mayfair Maize/black interior.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:23 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat 67 View Post
Joe,

It is we who thank you for everything! What a priviledge to be "involved" with this from the start. You made us feel like family.

Charles
X2... I couldn't have stated it any better than that.

I thoroughly enjoyed "sharing" in this adventure and, to be honest, I would occasionally just check in and re-read through the posts just to restore a little of my faith in humanity.

Scott

'70 Lemans Sport - Upgrades: HEI, console, dual-gate shifter, tilt steering, formula wheel, dual exhaust, dash clock, stock 4v intake, Q-jet, dual snorkel air cleaner, GTO hood, hood tach, GTO spoiler, chrome Rally II's and sport stripe.

'09 Yamaha Vmax

'94 GMC Sierra GT
Old 04-30-2013, 09:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was on vacation for a week,I left the day before the "old man"got the car,and as much fun as i had i couldnt wait to see the pics of your Dad! well worth the wait!Thanks for sharing