Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 07-15-2013, 08:51 PM

Default Front steering link question for 67/68 firebird

Hi guys, I'm going to change out my tie rod ends and center drag link and here's the question. I have a suspicion that it may have some 68 parts on it ( mine is a 67 ) in the catalog is shows that they have the same Inner tie rod ends and the same center drag link but different part numbers for the outer tie rods.How do you tell the difference or is there one?Thanks for any help.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Everything under a 67-69 F body and 68-72 X body subframe is the same from end to end, including A-arms, spindles and brakes. The only difference is in the pitman arm, depending on if you have manual or power steering and drum or disk brakes.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:24 PM

Thanks Rob, Parts are ordered and will be picked up and installed for this weekend. Looking to have the subframe ready by tuesday as thats when the body comes back from blasting.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:22 PM
Suspended

No one is going to correct this?

There are all kinds of differences, including difference in drag links in 6 and 8 cylinder engines in certain applications. Also, each on has its own sub-frame. I'm not going to pretend to know the difference because I don't have a clue what's what, except that there are lots of differences. The only claim I make is I haver lots of experaince in automtive repair.

It's pretty sad that such a mistake is allowed to stand. Never use an internet automotive chatroom as a credible information source. I watched powerblock and heard then say something about what they read on a forum. I though WTF are they using forums? After all, many posters have never owned these cars, then they said that the forum information was incorrect. You don't say?

Old 07-21-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sts View Post

There are all kinds of differences, including difference in drag links in 6 and 8 cylinder engines in certain applications. Also, each on has its own sub-frame. I'm not going to pretend to know the difference because I don't have a clue what's what, except that there are lots of differences. The only claim I make is I haver lots of experaince in automtive repair.

It's pretty sad that such a mistake is allowed to stand. Never use an internet automotive chatroom as a credible information source. I watched powerblock and heard then say something about what they read on a forum. I though WTF are they using forums? After all, many posters have never owned these cars, then they said that the forum information was incorrect. You don't say?
Agree I've had hit and miss,but there are time that you get some good info on specialized sites such as these,one of the members helped out big time in pointing me in the right direction and company to get my bushings for the Radius Rod/ Traction bar.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:34 AM

Ok in my research-(-in all cases 6 or 8 cyl same part) 67/68 FB the inner tie rod is the same 67 FB outer the last GM# for the inner is 14022186 at that printing 1975 they dropped the outer your probably not trying to fing these NOS so here are the
MOOG#'s 67 inner ES681N outer ES348R (* agian yes 68 outer has a different#) the sleeve is ES350S-
as for the center link they may be reproduced the GM# is 3953221 67/68 FB and 67/68 camaro
also bear in mind that 69FB carries different #'s hope this helps

Old 07-21-2013, 11:35 AM

Ok in my research-(-in all cases 6 or 8 cyl same part) 67/68 FB the inner tie rod is the same 67 FB outer the last GM# for the inner is 14022186 at that printing 1975 they dropped the outer your probably not trying to fing these NOS so here are the
MOOG#'s 67 inner ES681N outer ES348R (* agian yes 68 outer has a different#) the sleeve is ES350S-
as for the center link they may be reproduced the GM# is 3953221 67/68 FB and 67/68 camaro
also bear in mind that 69FB carries different #'s hope this helps

Old 07-21-2013, 11:36 AM

not to confuse -bad typing- 67and 68 inner tie rods the same 67-68 outter tie rods are different i gave you the correct Moog numbers for a 67

Old 07-21-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra96 View Post
not to confuse -bad typing- 67and 68 inner tie rods the same 67-68 outter tie rods are different i gave you the correct Moog numbers for a 67
If I can figure out how to post a pic of what I have, you'll see a big difference of what they sat is the right part

Old 07-23-2013, 08:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sts View Post

I've personally converted MANY of these front subframes on 73-74 X bodies to the 67-72 parts as well as done disc brake conversions. I've also owned several other F and X bodies between the years of 68-72 and still own 3 (2 74 GTO and a 67 F'bird). Been doing this crap since 1983 when I discovered the drag link was shot on my first 74 Ventura and all the suspension catalogs back then were WRONG with the component needed and no replacement link was available except from GM. I wouldn't post or steer anyone in the wrong direction on hear say info from what I've heard or watched on TV, however I WILL/DO use those sources when I'm doing something I'm not familiar with or don't want to spend hours re-inventing the wheel when someone else may have already done it and is willing to share their info.
As mentioned above regarding the part #'s, it shows the bulk of the parts/years interchanged. The only component that really differs is the pitman arm and as long as you order/buy the one to your specific car, rather it be PS or manual, there won't be a problem. If the OP already has a 67 F body, there should be no problem in getting everything he needs and scrapping everything he already has if something doesn't look right or is mismatched. Parts are easily available now and relatively cheap to do just that. These subframes all use the same or can interchange, control arms, ball joints, springs (depending on which Engine you have) brakes, (drum or disc) etc etc. Thats one reason why its as easy as having the correct engines mounts to swap a SBC in a Firebird or an Omega as it is to put a Buick or Olds engine in a 69 Camaro.

Last edited by Rob B; 07-23-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is a difference between 67 and 68 outer tie rods. Not sure what. Never checked.
Not say'n they wont interchange. Never tried.
Only thing I can think of is 67's sit lower then 68's.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100