Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-03-2013, 10:16 AM

Default Carb noob w/question about 10th Anniversary Trans Am

I need to replace the factory Q-jet that's running badly with a new carb for the new owner on my 10th Anniv TA with the original 403. I was thinking of going with an Edelbrock, but not sure which model is right, and it's Sat and their tech line isn't open. Planning to use original intake (carb swap only).

I'm most interested in a direct drop in and go type replacement that will allow me to still use the original shaker set up.

Time is of the essence as I've agreed to deliver it next weekend, so I only have this week to get it done. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think most folks here would say have the original rebuilt by someone like Cliff Ruggles, maybe SMI. Carb Shop and Jet have intermittent results some good some bad.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 08-03-2013, 10:40 AM

I'm sure that's good advice, but my situation won't allow that. I found this replacement (scroll down to item 44-5348) Q-jet that looks like it might work, but have no previous experience with this. It doesn't say if this carb allows orig shaker set up to work.

http://www.quadrajetcarbs.com/?gclid...FZRj7Aodh2MAHg

Ugh, I hate being rushed on stuff like this.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Swapping out the original carb for something else?......You'd be better off taking your money and burning it in the wood stove....IMHO

Get the original unit completely and correctly rebuilt by someone who knows what they are doing, regardless of time or funds required to do so. Everything hooks right up, choke, fuel line, vacuum hoses, throttle linkage, etc, etc.

The Edelbrock clones are the biggest POS I've ever worked with. The AVS clones considerably better, but they are ugly, square flange (requires adapter or intake swap), and gas guzzlers. At least compared to the original unit......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 08-03-2013, 11:38 AM

Wow, ok. Thanks for the direct advice. What's the typical turnaround time and cost for something like that? I take it you're the Cliff they're referring to above?

Old 08-03-2013, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you can (time is a factor), do as Cliff said and have the original rebuilt. If not, keep the original to give the new owner so he can have it rebuilt later. Check with SMI as Skip suggested. http://www.smicarburetor.com/products/sfID1/28/sfID2/9 I bought one of their units and it looks great but I have not run it yet. I had them calibrate it for my new engine which will be larger and more powerful than my current low compression wore out 350 so I doubt it would perform well on it. I don't know if they can have it to you by Friday that's a tall order. Anything that is out of a box will need calibration before it works worth a crap in my opinion. I'm no expert but that's my opinion. Have you tried to take it apart and clean it up some? Some times that's all a carb needs.......If it's original then I'm sure it needs a full rebuild but it may buy the new owner the time to get it worked correctly.

Karl

Old 08-03-2013, 01:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default I-5 interstate qjets

I bought 2 qjets recently from I-5 and they look and run great, especially for a stock motor (if performance motor, Cliff or maybe SMI is way to go). Probably your best bet if in a pinch to get a qjet fast is I-5. They can ship it to you in a day or two...

Old 08-03-2013, 02:50 PM

I just talked to the guy from I-5 and I think that may be the best middle ground solution for me at this time given my response time needs. Direct replacement QJ, no shaker fitment issues, totally rebuilt, etc.