Old 08-24-2013, 01:03 PM
Senior Chief

Default 1970 Temp Gauge and Sending Unit...

helping a buddy with his 70. It has the three prong sending unit.

When on or off, or with any of three leads grounded, temp gauge is at full cold.

On two occasions, while running (gauge is always at full cold) then shut off, it went from full cold to mid gauge.

A quick look at the back of the gauge looks normal, will convince him need to remove seat and ducting for better look and hands on.

Any info appreciated.

There does not look like any thread tape on sending unit and all prongs cleaned.

Thank you.

"Yes, it's a real GTO. I know the scoops, spoiler, exhaust tips, and rear wheels are wrong. Umm, sure it's the 'big block' 400, you are quite the expert. I am driving in the rain, at night, running errands, with the kids who are eating and having ice cream in the back, after going to the drag strip, burning rubber, and blowing donuts. Do you really think it's numbers matching all original?"
Old 08-24-2013, 09:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Has it ever worked before? Is it truly the gauge 3 prong sending unit or is it the idiot light 3 prong sending unit?

Old 08-25-2013, 08:57 AM
Senior Chief

He just got it and I do not know if it ever worked right.

He does nor hace a wiring diagram so I am not even sure what the other peongs switch.

I cleaned.emery the prongs super good, and drove it over an hour on and aff a highway and countey roads,
gauge was reading some in the 1st third of the cool portion.

I havenothad luck finding a three prong replacement so we can see it that will do it.

"Yes, it's a real GTO. I know the scoops, spoiler, exhaust tips, and rear wheels are wrong. Umm, sure it's the 'big block' 400, you are quite the expert. I am driving in the rain, at night, running errands, with the kids who are eating and having ice cream in the back, after going to the drag strip, burning rubber, and blowing donuts. Do you really think it's numbers matching all original?"
Old 08-25-2013, 12:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 3 pronged thermo-switch has absolutely nothing to do with the readings on your dash temperature gauge!

Last edited by Peter Serio; 08-25-2013 at 12:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-25-2013, 03:20 PM
Senior Chief

Ok, I am used to a fitting near the thermostat housing having either a temp switch to an idiot light, a temp sending unit to a gauge, plus or minus things like temp controlled vacuum switches, etc. Have even thrown in an extra switch here and there over the years so I could add a temp gauge but still have the original idiot light.

When we popped the hood I saw the unit there and assumed it was the temp sender.

Where is the temp sender and what does this do then?

Old 08-27-2013, 10:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Temperature Gauge diagnosis

Here is the page out of a ser-con booklet. Ser-con was a special tester that the dealership had back then; which was part of the special tools set for working on the cars.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pontiac Dealership Ser Con Booklet.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	334807   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pontiac Dealership Ser Con Booklet Temperature Gauge Test.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	334808   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pontiac Dealership Ser Con Tester.jpg
Views:	31