Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 09-30-2013, 11:00 AM
Senior Chief

Default How to Rebuild Master Cylinder?

Hey all.. years ago my original MC went out on my 69 GTO and I replaced it with a non-original Kragen part. Now this part is beginning to leak and want to take out my old original out of storage and rebuild it myself. Based on the rebuild kits on line, it seems fairly straight forward and not hard to do....or am I missing something. Any advice anyone can offer on steps to take to rebuild it is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In order to keep the original MC in my 67 survivor I took it apart & rebuilt it. First time I ever took one apart. No big deal. Just pay attention, or shoot a few cell phone pics as you pull it apart so it goes back together the same way

http://www.gogtoaa.com/leibys%20rides.html
Old 10-01-2013, 10:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check for pitting or wear of the bore. If any is found have your cylinder sleeved. If not just hone it and assemble. Companies that sleeve them can be found in Hemmings or Smoke Signals, or you might find someone near you.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

X2 or 3. If not pitted in the bore, it's a simple, straight-forward job that can be performed in less than a half an hour. Basically, you're replacing hard, old seals with new soft ones. It'll take longer to bleed the brakes than to overhaul the master!