THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Band Boston New Release

Not sure how long this will stay up on YouTube. For sure lacks Brad Delps vocals other than that its okay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWJS2oDKvA0

Old 10-25-2013, 02:15 PM
Suspended

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmdclassics View Post
Not sure how long this will stay up on YouTube. For sure lacks Brad Delps vocals other than that its okay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWJS2oDKvA0
Interesting. Thanks for sharing...will now dust off our BOSTON LPs and CDs to give them some air time here.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Boston LP's

Alvin I have Boston's first LP and Don't Look Back in the Half Speed Mastered series. They sound amazing!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boston.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	340806  

Old 10-25-2013, 03:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Back in the day we called them "Sawing Guitars". Great group.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:52 PM
Suspended

Excellent! Great stuff!

Old 10-26-2013, 01:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Saw them live in '78 at Dartmouth. near front row seats!. The Organ keys and the PIPES were all lit up different colors and changes as they were played. the song "foreplay" the Organ was just insane! place was crazy, great time with a super GF too.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:21 PM
PY VIP

It is back up....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyoP_nTNygU

Founding Editor-in-Chief, Poncho Perfection Magazine (October 1, 2015- present)
www.ponchoperfection.com
Contributing Editor: Collectible Automobile (1999- present)

Author:
"Grand Prix: Pontiac's Luxury Performance Car" (Released April 27, 2007)
"How to Restore Your Pontiac GTO" (Released July 15, 2012)
"Pontiac Concept and Show Cars, 1939-1980" (Release Date April, 2016)

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."
Old 11-01-2013, 10:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm a Rocker thru & thru and this has been my band since i was 12 in 1976. the music is still pumping thru my veins to this very day....just look below at my signature....BOSTON was my first rock concert at the Oakland Coliseum in 1978 and i have seen every other show they played here in the S.F. Bay Area ever since. i even flew back and saw BOSTON play in BOSTON at the Brad Delp Tribute Concert in 07.... i was there when Tommy DeCarlo walked up on the stage and sang live for the very first time!... thats how much i love This band....

but after hearing snippets of the *NEW* and looooong over due (in typical Tom Scholz fashion) album i cant help but feel like we've been ripped off. there are what three or four songs that have been recycled or re-voiced or whatever you want to call it and i cant help but feel like its a total rip and i must say i think its disappointing that its not 100% new material......i'm NOT a hater and i will defend the band till the death, and of course i will buy the *NEW* stuff but i think all the fans deserve way more then what were gonna get

long live and R.I.P. Drad Delp!......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BOSTON September 20th 1978.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	341533   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010018.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	341534   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010313.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	341535  

Old 11-01-2013, 10:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Your right BossBirdta, Tom should have brought in some help in producing as well as some musicians such as a percussionist. Really can't figure out why he would not have had tommy sing leads and make the vocals stand out more. Although its been 10 years since the last Boston Album I find it hard to believe this latest effort took more than 100 hours to create.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As much as I'm a fan of Boston, I agree with the above comments. This doesn't impress me. Not the same without Brad Delp.

I saw them on the "Don't Look Back" tour, when Sammy Hagar was their warmup. Boston was awful. People began boo'ing, and fans were walking out of the arena towards the end. I was crushed. They just had a bad night.

Saw them years later again for the "Third Stage" tour, they were great.

Anyone remember the Barry Goudreau album? The members of Boston were tired of waiting for Tom Scholz to get off his duff and record a new album, so the group recorded an album that sounded just like Boston (minus Scholz of course). They had a minor hit with the song "Dreams". Great song. I actually have two copies of the album, one a promo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AhJY1lp4Cw

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just learned how to play "Don't Look Back" a few weeks ago on guitar - I LOVE that intro.

Boston always had some lyrics or musical passages that especially struck me in some way. "HollyAnn" has always been one of my faves - the buildup on the last line of the verses going into the chorus gives me goosebumps every time I hear it.

That one, and "Feelin' Satisfied" are my two current Boston faves. There's something about one line: "You know it's now or never, take a chance on rock & roll..." I don't know why, I just love that line.

Other than the band, I hate most things related to Boston, especially sports teams.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:03 AM
Suspended

I wanted to give this thread some air to breathe before posting. I loved Boston when I was a teen. It's been such a long time. Loved it. This new song is terrible. It has nothing to do with the quality of production. It's a boring composition. It's cheesy. I'd rather listen to old Journey than this. Winter is here again, Oh Lord.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow, I just previewed the album on the website. Unfortunately just like the last one I won't buy it. I think all of us 40 and ups knew the band was done after Brad Delp's death. Tom Schulze, although a unique guitarist should've canned this project or figured out a way to pay tribute to him. No one can replace Brad's vocals.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:18 AM
PY VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbirdta View Post
I'm a Rocker thru & thru and this has been my band since i was 12 in 1976. the music is still pumping thru my veins to this very day....just look below at my signature....BOSTON was my first rock concert at the Oakland Coliseum in 1978 and i have seen every other show they played here in the S.F. Bay Area ever since. i even flew back and saw BOSTON play in BOSTON at the Brad Delp Tribute Concert in 07.... i was there when Tommy DeCarlo walked up on the stage and sang live for the very first time!... thats how much i love This band....

but after hearing snippets of the *NEW* and looooong over due (in typical Tom Scholz fashion) album i cant help but feel like we've been ripped off. there are what three or four songs that have been recycled or re-voiced or whatever you want to call it and i cant help but feel like its a total rip and i must say i think its disappointing that its not 100% new material......i'm NOT a hater and i will defend the band till the death, and of course i will buy the *NEW* stuff but i think all the fans deserve way more then what were gonna get

long live and R.I.P. Drad Delp!......

I was at the Brad Delp tribute show, too- it was quite a day. Cannot believe it was six years ago.

Like many hardcore Boston fans, I am torn on this deal. I like the song- I don't love it. It has some of qualities of the earlier stuff but falls short of greatness. I am not a fan of the electronic drums- my son's kit sounds much more natural. I like the mix of vocals, obviously having Brad Delp do the whole thing was not possible, but Tommy's voice blended in nicely.

My problem is that it is not a very energetic song and it doesn't look like there is a real rocking song like "Smokin'" or even "Walk On" on this new album. I already pre-ordered it, so they have my sale. I would have loved some new versions of like the early tour songs like "Shattered Images" or "Television Politician." That would have been cool. What's done is done- I have a feeling that the new songs will be better live because they really ramp things up when performing.

What they should do next is get to work on a live DVD ASAP and release it next year, not in 2020. Say what you will about the last two albums, live they are spectacular. I have seen them on every tour since 1987 and they are better now than ever, even without Brad Delp. As much as I admired him, he was no longer a consistent performer live, sometimes he could hit it and other times not so much. He was fantastic when I saw them in 2002, but was not quite on top of his game in '97. Nothing really against him, he had given 100% every time he stepped on stage, his voice had slipped a little.

The last tour in 2012 was really something- they totally crushed it and Tommy DeCarlo live sounded so close to Brad Delp that it was a little spooky. I would love a DVD from that tour. Perhaps if there is some older tour footage available, that should be there as well.

Tom Scholz is 66 years old now and he is still a relevant musician at his age. That is admirable. Will there be another studio album from them? Maybe, maybe not. Is this the best material they ever did? No. Creatively, where do you go after such an unbelievable debut? He made it very tough on himself in many ways.

Founding Editor-in-Chief, Poncho Perfection Magazine (October 1, 2015- present)
www.ponchoperfection.com
Contributing Editor: Collectible Automobile (1999- present)

Author:
"Grand Prix: Pontiac's Luxury Performance Car" (Released April 27, 2007)
"How to Restore Your Pontiac GTO" (Released July 15, 2012)
"Pontiac Concept and Show Cars, 1939-1980" (Release Date April, 2016)

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."
The Following User Says Thank You to Don Keefe For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2013, 12:31 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNoun View Post
Anyone remember the Barry Goudreau album? The members of Boston were tired of waiting for Tom Scholz to get off his duff and record a new album, so the group recorded an album that sounded just like Boston (minus Scholz of course). They had a minor hit with the song "Dreams". Great song. I actually have two copies of the album, one a promo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AhJY1lp4Cw
Orion the Hunter was another Boston spin-off band back around '83-84 with Barry Goudreau. Fran Cosmo was the lead vocalist with Brad Delp doing some back-up work...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw8mlHFwhYc

2015 Challenger R/T Plus, hemi, Sublime
Old 11-03-2013, 01:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonchoV8 View Post
I'd rather listen to old Journey than this. Winter is here again, Oh Lord.
Excellent choice. I just learned "Party's Over" last week on guitar. "Wheel..." is also a great one. Actually, "Wheel..." is the first Journey song I ever learned to play all the way through.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:36 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNoun View Post
I didn't remember that that wasn't Boston.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here is a video to show you how great Brad delps voice was when singing these songs. Here is recording without no music. http://youtu.be/WYVZ6eKYJlM

1968 lemans :In progress!
1970 Bonneville 455 HO convertible (survivor)sold
1969 firebird
Old 11-03-2013, 09:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That's great!

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 11-06-2013, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i just came across this today and thought i'd post it up. a rare one on one interview with Tom Scholz discussing the new release.....http://bit.ly/1hN8OlJ