Old 11-04-2013, 10:03 AM

Default Question on Valance 72-73 type

Found this while searching the net was thinking about buying. Question is i know the originals or plastic and i know the current repro ones are plastic. Is this a old reproduction in fiberglass if so how do they fit? Or can anyone tell if its a original covered with fiberglass on the back. Not sure about it. Thanks Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$T2eC16R,!zIFIesY(byoBSdmfQ1k)g~~60_57 (1).jpg
Views:	42
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	341799   Click image for larger version

Name:	$T2eC16R,!y!FIdmf(R4jBSdmfeFN5!~~60_57.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	341800   Click image for larger version

Name:	$T2eC16N,!)8FJfU-CWD7BSdmfqbqHQ~~60_57.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	341801  

Old 11-04-2013, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That would be an aftermarket valence, probably for racing.
(lightweight and strong)

It looks a little 'different' than stock types.

Definitely not original type replacement.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 11-04-2013, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Actually that is a fiberglass replica of the polyethylene valance that was factory installed on the 72/73 cars. Go to my "Part Tres" thread on my 73 and you'll see what I mean.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...736345&page=14

Old 11-04-2013, 11:44 AM

That's what I thought I didn't know they made a fiberglass replica be nice to know how it fit vs the new plastics.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have fiberglass replacement from Ames on my car now. I returned a plastic one from Parts Place since it was way to flimsy and warped. Like most aftermarket stuff, it needs work. As I recall, I had to build up approx 1/4" of glass on the outside edges to get to match up with the fenders the way I wanted. I probably adjusted the mounting holes and made other minor cosmetic corrections. At least the fiberglass is strong, not flimsy and repairable.
I was in the process of painting the front spoiler at the time as well so, I massaged the edge of the spoiler with a heat gun to get it to conform better to the new valance prior to painting. Something that should be done on all spoilers prior to paint.

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" RUSH (Freewill)
Old 11-04-2013, 02:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default valance

I too have that repo valance 1972 and I purchased it when it first came out..believe it or not but it fit perfect and the spoilers matched up better than I ever thought..I believe it was from Classic and many years ago..it is so important for the 72 and 73 for the right look..my car came with the gap toothed steel replacement..still hope to get an original to replace it with though because the material is quite different..I just don't want to have to sell my car so I can afford one