Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:37 PM
PY VIP

A nice, clean, simple installation. Would love to see what the hot side piping looks like.

Founding Editor-in-Chief, Poncho Perfection Magazine (October 1, 2015- present)
www.ponchoperfection.com
Contributing Editor: Collectible Automobile (1999- present)

Author:
"Grand Prix: Pontiac's Luxury Performance Car" (Released April 27, 2007)
"How to Restore Your Pontiac GTO" (Released July 15, 2012)
"Pontiac Concept and Show Cars, 1939-1980" (Release Date April, 2016)

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."
Old 11-10-2013, 01:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Forged pistons for these engines are now readily available and the valve shrouding issue shouldn't be a significant problem in a forced-induction situation. You could mess around with valve chamfers but I doubt you'd even need to.
Do you have a source for 350 forged pistons? I can't find them.

I am also interested in this thread because I have (3) 350 motors, and I've always wanted to do a boost motor - nothing crazy, also mostly street motor with the ability to get a little nuts.

Nice build, Alex. I will stay tuned.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:20 AM
PY VIP

I purchased a set of Probe forged pistons from Ace Brewer, formerly of Pacific Performance Racing. He closed up shop but has a few sets left over. I got in touch with him through Facebook.

Failing that, Probe could make a set but I don't know what they would cost, as they aren't currently listed on their web site. Actually, Ross can also make them as well but again, have no idea about the cost.

Now it is time to find a rebuildable engine locally.

DJK

www.ponchoperfection.com

Author:

Old 11-12-2013, 05:32 PM
Senior Chief

i have it all worked out in my head i just need to find a bare 350 block and its on.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Keefe View Post
I purchased a set of Probe forged pistons from Ace Brewer, formerly of Pacific Performance Racing. He closed up shop but has a few sets left over. I got in touch with him through Facebook.

Failing that, Probe could make a set but I don't know what they would cost, as they aren't currently listed on their web site. Actually, Ross can also make them as well but again, have no idea about the cost.

Now it is time to find a rebuildable engine locally.

DJK
I think I remember seeing that, but they were set up for a 4" stroke IIRC. I can't remember if they used stock rod length or 6.8's. Hmmm...

Old 11-13-2013, 10:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Pontiac Dude can have any size piston made.
1-352-769-8800

Old 11-14-2013, 02:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a set of custom BRC pistons off PDude,very nice pistons for the money. Good thing is you can have the ring lands set where you want them,specify ring thickness etc.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:37 AM
PY VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
I think I remember seeing that, but they were set up for a 4" stroke IIRC. I can't remember if they used stock rod length or 6.8's. Hmmm...
The pistons I bought were for a stock rod and stroke length. They just showed up today and they really are beautiful.

www.ponchoperfection.com

Author:

Old 11-27-2013, 01:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just closed the deal on my set of forged slugs from Ace's "secret vault"

And so begins our journey.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Squidward. I see you are down here in Mesa (Phoenix area). Are you a member of the Pontiac Power Group down here? Just wondering if I might know you. I building a twin turbo '60 block 389/406 for my '63 Catalina.

Mark L in Glendale.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by marks73ta View Post
Squidward. I see you are down here in Mesa (Phoenix area). Are you a member of the Pontiac Power Group down here? Just wondering if I might know you. I building a twin turbo '60 block 389/406 for my '63 Catalina.

Mark L in Glendale.
I can't say directly. We might have talked at a Pontiac Heaven event over the years. 40-something, 6'5" white dude, with 73 Formula (up until 07) and currently a 67 FB - that's me. I was at the Marriot event back in May.

The PPG is on my list of things to do. I want to get more involved locally with car stuff, and meet some like minded folks.

Good to meet you!

-Sean E.

Old 11-28-2013, 12:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I look forward to talking to you some day.

Mark L

Old 11-28-2013, 11:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I did a 350 block sometime back (side tracked and put aside) and sleeved all the cyls to 326 bore size. Foundation for a really stout piece with really thick cyl walls and a lot of meat for sealing on the deck.

Last edited by J.C.you; 11-28-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm glad to see some folks looking at doing the "inexpensive turbo" conversion on a Pontiac. You will undoubtedly end up with a relatively inexpensive, high torque engine that will be tons of fun on the street. Totally unusable torque that will turn the rear tires into smoldering gobs of black goo at nearly any speed!

Old 11-29-2013, 02:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Q View Post
Totally unusable torque that will turn the rear tires into smoldering gobs of black goo at nearly any speed!
That sounds like a great use of torque!

I have to do some reading/research on how to put together a single turbo setup with external wastegate and a blow-thru carb. Gonna get new forged rods next week, and get a 350 block or two down to the machine shop for some work. I have two candidates, and will have to see which one is up to the task - a 69 350 or a 72 350.

Old 11-29-2013, 02:38 AM

Interesting thread, low-buck home-built single turbo setup using stock log exhaust manifolds:

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=572528

Old 11-29-2013, 03:53 PM

I tried to get a few pictures of my hot side, will get better pictures when I pull it apart to drop in the new engine I am working on for it. The new engine is getting a set of the Probe pistons from Ace I picked up awhile back. The headers are mostly constructed of an old set of headers that I cut up and modified, they actually turned out pretty nice. I used 2-1/2" bends and tubing from Summit for the crossover and 3" from the merge to the the t4 flange. I drew up the t4 flange and turbo mounting brackets quickly during my lunch break one day and had a few sets made, I have a spare set of the brackets I would be willing to cut someone a deal on if anyone is interested. This was a very budget build done during my last semester at college. Probably ended up doing the complete turbo setup for around $1500. Working on my second (not so budget) turbo project now!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 11-29-2013, 11:20 PM
PY VIP

Travis- I am planning on using an 068 cam for its wide lobe separation, availability and smooth operation. Do you have a suggestion for something better? I am planning on using log manifolds, a Holley Street Dominator intake and 750 Holley. I haven't finalized the choice of a turbo but am leaning toward a BW S475. Also, what suggestions would you have for valve springs for a 12-15 psi boost level? This should be a fun combination!

www.ponchoperfection.com

Author:

Last edited by Don Keefe; 11-29-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Don -

I like your choice of camshafts! Cams in street cars need to be small. Overlap needs to be kept to a minimum, because you'll probably have a fair amount of backpressure. But don't worry about the backpressure, it doesn't amount to a hill of beans. Anything in the 220 to 230 @ .050 will work great.

The S475 is darn near impossible to beat for the money. They are pretty heavy, and they don't make as much power as other turbochargers with similar wheel dimensions, but they are durable, and above all, they are CHEAP. And AVAILABLE.

Don't lose a lot of sleep over the exhaust side of things, either. The most important detail of a turbocharged exhaust system is that the exhaust gases go from the exhaust valve to the turbo with as few leaks as possible! In all seriousness, smaller is better in this regard. A two inch pipe from each manifold to the turbo is way more than enough for this power level. Log manifolds are fine. Durability and good packaging are the keys.

Valve springs will be dictated by the cam and by the rpm you want to spin, as well as boost level. I would think that something like this would be just fine with 130-140 on the seat, if the lifters will tolerate that much. Break-in will be critical.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Keefe View Post
Travis- I am planning on using an 068 cam for its wide lobe separation, availability and smooth operation. Do you have a suggestion for something better? I am planning on using log manifolds, a Holley Street Dominator intake and 750 Holley. I haven't finalized the choice of a turbo but am leaning toward a BW S475. Also, what suggestions would you have for valve springs for a 12-15 psi boost level? This should be a fun combination!
I have been wondering about cams, too. I read some articles in Car Craft & Hot Rod that were suggesting maybe a single pattern grind would be better versus the usual dual pattern that is heavy on the exhaust duration for a NA setup. I was thinking about maybe an 068 for the wide LSA, but they were saying the big LSA is more old school when compared to the design of today's turbos. I thought about a 2801, which is the cam I would go with for a NA build, and it still has a 112 LSA.

IDK... Much to learn still. I might have to do some engine analyzer sims with some single pattern grinds and see what goes. Maybe a 218/218, 450 lift, and a 112 LSA? So far I am thinking of a single turbo somewhere around 68-70mm, and AR of around .7 to .8 so I can spool quickly and keep my power down in the midrange.

Time to run some sims in the morning when I get home from work!