Old 12-31-2013, 06:55 PM

Default Olds to Pontiac shaker conversion?

I'm sure it's been asked before but can an Olds shaker set up be converted to Fit on Pontiac motor. I keep looking for Pontiac shaker and all I see are the Olds ones and none seem to be in good shape. I have an Olds one in good shape, wondering if I could move the base ring on the shaker over to fit new motor. Any suggestions are welcome!
Happy New Year!

Old 01-01-2014, 12:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You may be able to detach the adapter plate from the Olds scoop and move it over to fit the hole in the hood. The Olds air cleaner base is offset too, so you might have to do something about that too.

Also, an Olds engine is shorter than a Pontiac, so the Olds shaker adapter plate is about 3/4" taller than one for a Pontiac. There may be additional difference in the height of the air cleaner base too. So, when putting the Olds setup on a Pontiac engine, I believe the shaker would sit too high to fit under the hood. So, I think you'd have to do some height modification too.

Also, the Pontiac q-jet has a fuel bowl vent pipe that is rather tall, so there's a hole for the pipe to be inserted into on the Pontiac air cleaner base. Olds base doesn't have the hole, so you'll have to make a hole in the Olds air cleaner base for that.

Might have to watch for distributor clearance with the back of the air cleaner too.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

the top fiberglass part is the same, but as you know the metal base is completely different. you could find a broken Pontiac scoop and remove the metal base and put your good top on it. that is about the only way I know of.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Someone here had a bunch of shakers for sale, the the "parts sale" section, it's been a while ago though...

There's too much of a difference to make an Old's unit work, (my opinion). Keep looking. I'm sure the Olds unit could be made to work. It would take a boat load of modifications.

Keep looking...

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 01-02-2014, 12:34 AM

What would be really nice is if someone would make a reproduction Pontiac shaker base so that all those mint-condition Olds 403 shakers could be converted to use on a Pontiac motor. Just drill out the rivets and reattach to the reproduction base.
Don't the L78 and W72 air cleaners use the same shaker/base?

If so, couldn't the more common L78 parts could be used for the rest of the conversion?

Old 01-02-2014, 01:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The shaker "base" you refer to is what I call the "adapter plate", since it adapts the same scoop so it can be used on several different engines. So, yes it would be nice if somebody reproduced the 400 adapter plate, and it could be swapped on to a 403 scoop.

Yes, the L78 and W72 400 engines use the same scoop and adapter plate. Of course the air cleaner bases for a L78 has the longer snout with a round end, and the W72 has the shorter, wider, oval snout. But the 400 shaker scoop and plate is the same for either one.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackened View Post
What would be really nice is if someone would make a reproduction Pontiac shaker base so that all those mint-condition Olds 403 shakers could be converted to use on a Pontiac motor. Just drill out the rivets and reattach to the reproduction base.
Don't the L78 and W72 air cleaners use the same shaker/base?

If so, couldn't the more common L78 parts could be used for the rest of the conversion?
Have converted quite a few 403 shakers to late '77-79 400 Pontiac shakers. For good part of 20 years picked up really nice along with boogered up shakers in the Pick-N-Pulls, crusher yards, where ever. Same with deep drop Pontiac aircleaner bases & nice turbo 301 aircleaners. The metal adapter rivetted on the shaker is same between '77-79 400 shakers.

Uncut, unscarred really nice shape '77-79 400 shakers were a good seller for quite while, haven't listed one for sale in a while.