Old 12-24-2013, 07:53 PM
Senior Chief

Default Heater Core replacement for 1979 Trans Am with A/C...

I am trying to replace the heater core on my 1979 Trans Am SE with A/C.

I have removed the center console,glove box liner and door,lower main duct under glove box,passenger side kickpanel and the inner fender well. I then removed the 3 bolts in the engine compartment on the firewall.

It seems like the only thing I need to remove now are the two bolts on the interior inside that hold the heater box?

My question is do you have to remove the passenger side vent duct and upper center duct in order to remove the heater box? It looks like it will be very close when I start pulling the heater box away from the firewall?

Last edited by Nitebird; 12-24-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:04 AM
Suspended

The more duct work you remove will make it easier to remove the heater core & to be able to put it back in. The more room you give yourself the less chance of putting a hole in the new core while putting it back in.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

NJ Steve did one on the Black HO Formula a while ago and detailed it pretty well - search for that to get a step by step guide.

I did one on my 79, but there wasn't any A/C so it only took an hour or so.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 12-25-2013, 01:58 PM
Senior Chief

Anybody know how to remove the passenger side vent duct??? It looks like it is connected by a staple and shouldn't be removed.

Old 12-25-2013, 05:30 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
NJ Steve did one on the Black HO Formula a while ago and detailed it pretty well - search for that to get a step by step guide.

I did one on my 79, but there wasn't any A/C so it only took an hour or so.
I did a search but it seems nobody has had to remove that part of the A/C duct in order to get the heater core out? At least nobody has mentioned it.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:23 AM

Like REX73GTO said,more the better. I my removed my rh a/c duct,but it slipped right off.Removed before? Don't know,but i stayed in place when i reinstalled it.
When i pulled the heater box out i bent one of the core pipes,so when reinstalling i pulled back the carpet to give me a little extra room. It was a tight fit going back in.Make sure the HVAC cables are out of the way. I pinched mine between the heater box and firewall.Had to call the wifey back out to the garage to hold the heater box in place so i could retorque the bolts.She doesnt like getting in or out of the T/A when it has a seat installed.You should of heard here with it out

Old 12-27-2013, 12:30 PM

There are more than 3 bolts in the engine compartment holding heater core in. You dont have to remove that passenger duct it has a bolt holding it into the dash and will break it if pulled on. I took my passenger seat out it made it a lot easier to get in there and remove. When taking heater box out tilt it down towards carpet and should slid out just fine. Same thing when installing tilt it down get cooper tunes lined up with holes and gently massage it into place.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The AC cores have an angled pipe. The Non AC cores do not. If you are for sure gonna replace that core you "might" do was I did and cut the angled pipe off as close to the firewall as you can and at least make taking it out much easier.

I too took the seat out. You will need as much room as you can get, as you have to angle that core to get the pipe in..

Work
'67 GTO Convertible "Koerner Built 413 500 hp with a Victor!.. I'll run a stock intake."
'75 Formula 400 - Daily Driver -
Running with my Home Built 455 and TH400

Details here:
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=588372
Old 01-10-2014, 03:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When removing the heater box. Pull the box straight back from the firewall as far back as it will go.
Rotate the box 90 degrees, so the side bolted to the firewall is pointing up. Let the box
drop down as far as it will. Pull The box straight back, it will come out. When reinstalling the box reverse the steps.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:43 PM
Senior Chief

Got it replaced and the box is back in. Thanks guys!