Old 01-13-2014, 08:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Time to Choose a Convertible Top

Finally at the point where this project is ready to receive a new headdress. I'd like to hear what board members consider to be the most original and best quality convertible top. It will be white, like my original to go with the Skyline Blue paint. Originality is very important to me on this car!

Old 01-13-2014, 10:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I always thought it was Robbins.

The Following User Says Thank You to rohrt For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2014, 10:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Some forget about the brass zipper, and the plastic back window correctly date coded without the DOT(department of transportation) stamp that started a few years later.

The Following User Says Thank You to 8LUG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2014, 01:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8LUG View Post
Some forget about the brass zipper, and the plastic back window correctly date coded without the DOT(department of transportation) stamp that started a few years later.
Do you know who doesn't forget those things? I've considered having one custom made, but would rather find someone who already produces an original looking top.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Electron top corp. They can stitch in brass zippers instead of the plastic ones. date will be a lot tougher for the back window. Electron sells to installers not to you and I.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My tempest has this top. I don't know any of the history, but it has a brass zipper. My bird has the robbins top and it is very nice. The one on my tempest looks nice but seem just a little narrow on the sides though so that is why I'm not recommending it.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Have it custom made , if you get one that is not fresh you will have troubles with dry rot , as there is some cotton used materials that dry-rot .

Old 01-14-2014, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would think Key automotive or one of our vendors would be fine. The original top was vinyl with a plastic window and brass zipper. I replaced the original top on my '67 GTO in 1985, and that 1985 install is still hanging in there. I had to replace the back window in '91 when it turned yellow, but the car has been parked in the garage when not in use since '93, so even the 23 year old plastic window is doing ok. These tops are pretty durable, IMO.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:21 PM
Senior Chief

The top in my 1965 GTO is the original one from the factory.
I am not sure where to look for dates on the top or on the window.
I have attached a few pics of it, If anyone needs more pics to go by, Just let me know.
Thanks

Old 01-14-2014, 01:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

RAII-4speed thanks That's the first top zipper end with the rawhide lace I have seen besides mine. Most people don't have it.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:41 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8LUG View Post
RAII-4speed thanks That's the first top zipper end with the rawhide lace I have seen besides mine. Most people don't have it.
So then, did all original tops have the brass zipper?
where else do I look for date codes?
THANKS

Old 01-14-2014, 04:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Date code will be on the plastic window drivers side, near the edge of the side portion of the top about 1/2 way down to 3/4 down. All the zippers I have seen in originals were brass. Hope that helps. John

Old 01-14-2014, 10:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

RAII, those are great pics, thanks for posting them. There's a guy here in San Antonio who has offered to make a top for me, but I'm a little leery of that, even though he has a very good reputation. I still have the remains of my old top that he could use for a pattern, but I would think I'd have better luck with someone who has previously tried hard to go with originality.

A guy I know recommended Kee Auto Tops in Charlotte. GeeTooOhGuy, is that who you're talking about? I looked on their website and their information on their processes sounds impressive. And, they have an 8 year warranty on the top. I haven't see that anywhere else.

We've got the emblems on now, the trunk seal in place and the rear quarter drilled for the NOS power antenna setup. Brakes have been bled and she fires right up. We'll be driving it out of the garage this weekend and over to the building with the lift so we can get it up in the air and make sure everything is tight. The top mechanism is being repainted this week, so she'll be ready for her headdress very soon. Windshield goes in this weekend. Momentum is increasing.

I'm going to call Robbins and Kee tomorrow and see what they have to say about originality.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pecos, yes, that's the one. They advertise in Hemmings and have an excellent reputation. I don't know what brand the 29 year old top on my '67 is, but I can't believe it's still going strong. One thing I've always done is make sure that the top and window are clean before dropping the top. Any dust or dirt acts as an abrasive.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I spoke with the folks at Kee today. They have the original style GM well material and also the original stainless arrowheads that go on the strip running across the top of the rear window. They don't stock the top and would have to make it, which is a good thing. Eight year warranty, total price including window, pads, cables and well liner is $501.00. She is sending me material samples to check out. They have what she called "original GM white" and also "new GM white" which is apparently a brighter white. Top is vinyl, although cloth is available if you're not concerned about originality.

Next I talk to Robbins.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds right. Kee is an old time company that operates the old fashioned way. That scores big points in my book. That price sounds very reasonable, as well. The original GM white (ivory) would be the way to go. Very classy, IMO. I'm thinking of a white top for my '67 if and when the black one gives up the ghost. Cooler, too.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

PecosBill,
I just installed a Kee Auto Top on my 67 a few months ago. I got the top from AMES as they are a supplier of Kee.
I cant compare to any other top manufacturer since I've never seen others up close. But I was very impressed with the quality of the Kee Top. AMES lets you buy the KEE top stuff ala cart, so I used the Kee top, window (called the curtain), pads (they were universal pads, but fine nonetheless) and I'm not sure what cables I got. The window curtain came with a plastic zipper, but that's okay with me. It's pretty heavy duty.
The top came with the little endcaps, but they were lousy cheapies. I happened to save my old endcaps, and they are nice and thick. Not sure if they were the originals. I did notice that Kee offers better quality endcaps.
The front windlace is universal also, but I made it work okay. Actually I damaged my windlace and I called up Kee to get another one. (I did pay for it) They were nice although I don't think they sell often to individuals. Still, they sent out my replacement super fast.
Overall the top looks great. I'd use them again. I finished my top installation in October, and I have to admit I haven't lowered it yet! Cold weather and putting tops up and down don't mix.
If you want to see my top installation, go to my webpage on my signature.
Good luck.
Dave

The Following User Says Thank You to squidtone For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2014, 11:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just ordered one from topsonline.com mostly to be able to get a glass back window for my '67 GTO clone that's going to be somewhat custom. Also went with tan stayfast cloth.

I can report back once I get it.

Also I saw somewhere on here that Electron is the one PY uses for the tops they sell. Is there something wrong with the PY top? That's the route I would have gone had I not wanted something custom.

The Following User Says Thank You to INJUNTOM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2014, 12:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to 3 Deuce 64

Hard to find pictures of my car with the top up and it's no longer here at the house . I replaced the original top with a Kee Top back in the 70s . I was going to replace it before the GTO Nationals in Saratoga 2008 , so I ordered brand X from California, not even close two narrow they over nighted another one even though I gave them specific measurements it was the same as the first one . put the old kee top back on and it is still on . the only wear is the edging around the rear window . 64s and 5s are a real pain in the butt though to get the corners to lay nice I've see so many done that wouldn't meet my standards . wrinkles in the side aprons or back window . I will be putting a top on the 70 Bonneville I picked up I've already spoke to our host and will purchasing it from them.
To date I've not found anyone that makes a correct boot well. I ended up making my own . the originals are three layers not like the one they sell made out of a single layer of fabric . I did a post on it a few years back . I pulled my top back put in a new back window and at that time replaced the boot well because the original was in pretty poor shape .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boscoves holiday parade  1118 06 012.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	349601   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of down load disc  8 13 05 040.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	349602   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1516 - Copy.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	349603   Click image for larger version

Name:	compair tops (45).jpg
Views:	106
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	349604  

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but
they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a
status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them,
which would include their own government." — George Washington

The Following User Says Thank You to 3 Deuce 64 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2014, 04:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just saved "Squids Fab Shop" to my favorites. Heck of a lot of great information there. Thanks, Dave!