THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i agree these big cars are underappreciated, however, the only ones that seem to get any attention at all are the 60s full size--especially the 60 to 66 cars..after that the interest falls way off...people go craaazy over a 63 catalina..but a 67 catalina? forget it! they only use the late 60s to 76 full size cars as engine donors then sell them to guys that derby them!

Old 05-26-2012, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeebo View Post
i agree these big cars are underappreciated, however, the only ones that seem to get any attention at all are the 60s full size--especially the 60 to 66 cars..after that the interest falls way off...people go craaazy over a 63 catalina..but a 67 catalina? forget it! they only use the late 60s to 76 full size cars as engine donors then sell them to guys that derby them!
And your point is?? Particular cars are popular for a reason. Whether it be for performance, appearance or whatever. Same reason other cars are not popular. They simply are unimpressive. Take the top of the line 63 Catalina with performance options and compare it to a like 67. The 63 would have a 421 HO engine with tripower. The 67 would have the 428HO. Just looking at the engine compartment with those 3 carbs is more impressive. (and we're not even considering a SD version here) The interior of the 63 with the Ventura option is just so much prettier than the 67 there is no comparison. And I don't know of anyone who's more fond of the 67's exterior looks over a 63. 67's are just not desirable. Will they ever be? Maybe or maybe not, I don't have a crystal ball.
\

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 05-26-2012, 10:10 PM
Senior Chief

Nothing beats a bubble-top Catalina and I'm a GTO guy.

64 GTO convertible, gone but not forgotten
76 CB750K
72 CB350F

" why yes, I am old school, so what?"
Old 05-26-2012, 10:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

im just saying that those 60 to 66 full sizes are the only ones for the most part desirable..after that its a crap shoot..its a shame, and i own a 74 grandville 4 door..but they are wanted for their motors and little else...the convertibles being the only real exception...and like you said..the 63 is prettier than the 67..my point...

pontiacs id love to have? 67 400 HO firebird 73 GTO 4 speed 63 catalina 71 t37 4 speed...i know im forgetting a few...

"money follows the factory horsepower" is what ive said for years...its sad that many musclecars have been priced out of the hands of hobbyists like us for speculation and "investments"---they should be in OUR garages, and on the road!

Last edited by zeebo; 05-26-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Biggest problem is trying to find anything 4 door for family cruising... talk about needle in a haystack.

Old 05-27-2012, 12:30 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I was hoping to buy a 63 Bonneville 2door, but the guy sold it the very day I had the money in my hands and called to tell him I was on my way. That is how I wound up with the Lemans. The Bonneville sold for half what I paid for the Lemans. My dad had a 63 GP when I was about 6.
We moved from Ohio to Arizona in a 65 Bonneville wagon. I would love to have one of those as well. But I can barely afford to work on the Lemans, odds are I will never get another.

Russ

Old 05-27-2012, 06:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Under appreciated cars are good for the consumer.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:32 PM
Senior Chief

Arrow Float like a butterfly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Under appreciated cars are good for the consumer.
Yes, this consumer!

Old 05-27-2012, 09:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

man, this thread has wandered ... a LOT.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:23 AM

Unless you have a passion for the big pontiac, do yourself a favor and get a leMans, f-body or anything you can open a catalog for and buy what you need. I used to love getting up at 5am to get to the swap meet early when i had a 69 z/28. Not so much with a 64 grand prix. I could camp there for the week and not find a brake pad for a 4 speed gp from 64. Look in any catalog and you can pretty much find what you need but look at the available years. 62,63--65-79 but no 64. Somebody said it in a previous post, the money follows factory horsepower. Most important is get what makes you happy and whatever you do, drive it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	018.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	285908  

Old 05-28-2012, 02:06 PM
Bonker's-T-Cat Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerW View Post
I'm not trying to be a rude person, but why even have that forum? It's obvious nobody on this board outside of a few ppl give a crap about full-size Pontiacs unless you nearly give them away, even if they are nice cars.

People post ads and it's like a graveyard. Maybe nobody wants to admit that full-size Pontiacs by and large are barely worth the metal they are made of these days.

I think Pontiacs are great cars, but I'll never buy another full-size version. I found out the hard way they are a poor investment.
Perhaps you might want to troll another forum? This moderator loves Big Pontacs.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:55 PM

I love Big Pontiacs and I must confess, I spent way more restoring my '62 Grand prix than it will ever be worth. I thoroughly enjoyed finding very little in repro parts and being forced to search out items among the Pontiac community. Oh I could have tried and made it a SD clone to convince myself that Dana Mecum could sell it north of $50K, but in the end I left it a Tripower w/ a Slim Jim just because that's how my Dad set out to restore it 28yrs ago. No regrets, did it for love of MY car. Every time I open my kitchen door, peer into the garage and see it sitting there in all its Mandalay Redness, I get that special feeling deep down inside and the world is a better place. Love the Big Ones!!!! Wait a minute, is a '62GP even considered a Big Pontiac? After all, it's only 17 feet long! LOL!

Support for my fellow Big Pontiac brothers,
Derbs

Old 05-28-2012, 09:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat View Post
Perhaps you might want to troll another forum? This moderator loves Big Pontacs.

I think maybe that what he did....profile shows he hasnt been on since Dec 2010.

Jeff

Old 05-28-2012, 11:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHarper View Post
I think maybe that what he did....profile shows he hasnt been on since Dec 2010.
I'd hide too if I bought a '79 Bonneville with a 301 as an investment thinking there would be a demand for such a car in the future... ;-)

Old 05-29-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Thank you very much -

I grew up around this GTO; the Grand Prix is what happened when I tried to step out from under my Dad's shadow and assert my independence...

Keith, very nice 63 GP in my favorite color, I wonder why? I hope you plan on attending the 2013 POCI convention in Dayton for the 50th Anniversary of the 1963 models, as there should be a lot there.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

..Why are the cars..CHAINED together..??

Old 05-29-2012, 10:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Look a little closer and you will see the A-frame tow bar. The chains are safety chains. Very common back then to flat tow the car to and from the track.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerW View Post
I'm not trying to be a rude person, but why even have that forum? It's obvious nobody on this board outside of a few ppl give a crap about full-size Pontiacs unless you nearly give them away, even if they are nice cars.

People post ads and it's like a graveyard. Maybe nobody wants to admit that full-size Pontiacs by and large are barely worth the metal they are made of these days.

I think Pontiacs are great cars, but I'll never buy another full-size version. I found out the hard way they are a poor investment.

I have a 1964 G/P 421/4 speed tri-power car and did not buy it to make money, I bought it because I am 62 and was around when they were new and could not afford one then and always loved the car.

You are in this hobby for all the wrong reasons! Dave

The Following User Says Thank You to 1970ls5 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2014, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow, it was fun to re-read all the posts here...didn't even see that I was a contributor a couple times...must have UN-subscribed based on the OP's jackassery.

I guess ole Tyler went on his merry way. I wish him well. As I said earlier, if you get another Pontiac to DRIVE and ENJOY, c'mon back. (just leave the wet-diaper crankiness with the Camaro forum, will ya?)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Engine-Ear For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2014, 09:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You don't buy or restore full sized Pontiacs because they are the most speed efficient (build a lighter car), or because they are easy to find parts for (build a Camaro), or because they are everybody's favorite (build a GTO) or for a big return on your investment (buy stocks). You do it because they are COOL, or you like the looks of them, or your Dad had one, or you may even have been conceived in one (easily done, snicker). The early fill sizes (58-63/64) were synonymous with factory hot rods. And yes they were fast, by the early standards. The mid '60's were strong runners but very comfortable family cars, with lots of personal (owner modified HP) potential. Built right and they are gorgeous cars. '70's are the forgotten big brothers. Big and heavy but full of personality and when built right can still hold their own on the street while really looking good. Parts availability, faagetabaatit! But if you can find a starter car that is in good to great condition, then they are easy. The early cars can still bring back money if that is your game, the later '60's and the '70's not so easy. But look at it this way. If your passion is mid '60's Ramblers (which I happen to like also, weird huh?) try making one of them a stand out. Not saying you can't but you still have a mid '60's Rambler, with a small following. OK, off my soap box. I guess the moral is, "do it for love, not money".
I love all of the big full sized Pontiacs. I prefer the Catalina and GPs over Bonnevilles, only because they are lighter, because I'm a motor head. If you want a really great low rider or long and lowered cruiser, go for any of the '65 to '69 full size fast back cars. Man they can really draw it out and look fantastic.

Mark