Old 02-08-2014, 11:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Notched Fan

I think I remember now that if you ordered the handling and ride package, the 3.90 gears with posi, and metallic brakes you got the big radiator and the big 21 inch notched fan. I know in 64, such an optioned car came with exactly that. The notch was needed to clear the power steering nut holding the pulley on but was also used on non power steering cars. I recently passed that fan on to a member here.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:42 AM
Senior Chief

For the 65 year the largest radiators came on the TV and TX radiators or A/C cars. There was an optional HD cooling package, tow package, and the optional 3.90 metallic brake M21 package which is what this thread is about, and those options received the TT radiator. Books that I have claim the TT radiator is not as big as what the A/C cars recieved but I'm not sure about that.

The notch fan was only built for one purpose and that was for A/C cars with power steering. They did use this notch fan for other options such as this 3.90 gear package but the fan was a borrowed part from the A/C, power steering cars.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

just chattering and have never known about this fan blade stuff.

So if it got the larger A/C fan - would it get the taller A/C radiator too ?
Which would mean the channeled radiator support like A/C car too.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up Awesome Optioned 65 GTO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheeltempest View Post
The car was ordered locally. I will post a copy of the original window sticker in a few days. Paint/Interior/Options: starlight black, parchment, red pinstripe, red line tires, rally ones, exhaust splitters, 3:90 Posi with close ratio 4 speed, tri-power, rally gauges, wood wheel, am radio with reverb, all light group components, rear defogger, full transistorized ignition, vanity mirror, quick ratio steering and semi-metallic brakes. Order date - 1/1/1965; built 2/17/65, delivery taken first week of March, 1965.
I don't think this car had Rally I's. It looks like the paperwork shows "Wheel Discs-Deluxe" #462, which would be the cool spinner hub caps and would account for the bare steel wheels in pics.

Also, being built at the Pontiac MI. plant this 65's red pinstripe looks like it was applied using the wheel method opposed to another Pontiac MI. built black 65 on this forum that had the red stripe applied by hand? Interesting!

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:34 PM
Senior Chief

60sstuff how can you even see the pinstipe with the pictures provided in this thread? I don't know what parts of the car were repainted after the accident but you might be seeing the repaint? I guess when tarheeltempest post better pictures we will see that pinstripe better.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Option 382 View Post
60sstuff how can you even see the pinstipe with the pictures provided in this thread? I don't know what parts of the car were repainted after the accident but you might be seeing the repaint? I guess when tarheeltempest post better pictures we will see that pinstripe better.
Roger, it's magic! :-)

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Seymore's actual buildsheet shows 778 tranny on his early Pont Mich 390 car.

Did you ever get a BHC for your car Keith ?
Not that you need more documentation - just wondering if you ever got bored and ordered it for fun.

How tall is your radiator core - and does it have the channeled radiator support ?

Old 02-09-2014, 04:02 PM
Senior Chief

Baron Von, I can't answer your question on the radiator core channel and Mr. Seymore might be able to. My books show the TT radiator as 15.5 inches tall. The A/C radiators are right at 2 inches taller than the TT. Both radiators have the same thickness and width.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Pardon me guys but help me out if you can, what are you referring to with tt and tx?

Old 02-09-2014, 05:40 PM
Senior Chief

These are the radiator build codes on your passenger broadcast sheet. Some restored and original cars might have these codes printed on the radiator themselves.

TT= HD cooling option, tow option, or 3.90 gear option
TX= Auto trans with A/C

Old 02-09-2014, 05:47 PM

Guys, I apologize for the poor quality of my photos. I was trying to post color photos and had to photograph the paperwork because I was afraid to run the letters and documents through the scanner that I had access to. I will post some new photos of the paperwork tomorrow, but they will be in black and white.

I will be posting a photo of the pin striping and the radiator. I did measure the fan blade and it is only 18" wide . I am convinced that it is a replacement one and incorrect. I have located a correct 19.5" fan. Concerning the wheels you see, the original owner removed the Rally Is in order to preserve them. I know he ordered the car with them (as he told me so ) and I have them. The rims are properly date coded and vary from 11-64 to early O2-65.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Option 382 View Post
These are the radiator build codes on your passenger broadcast sheet. Some restored and original cars might have these codes printed on the radiator themselves.

TT= HD cooling option, tow option, or 3.90 gear option
TX= Auto trans with A/C
Thanks for clarifying.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGTO View Post
Pardon me guys but help me out if you can, what are you referring to with tt and tx?
Here's a shot of the radiator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	352430  

The Following User Says Thank You to tarheeltempest For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2014, 05:57 PM

Here's a shot of the pin striping on the passenger side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	352431  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tarheeltempest For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2014, 07:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question Curious thought?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheeltempest View Post
Here's a shot of the pin striping on the passenger side.
If I'm correct there are 3 "Pontiac MI. Built" Black 65's still wearing their Original Paint and Red pinstripes on this forum. Two of them seem to have the stripe applied by hand and this recent Barn Find of tarheel's looks to be the cleaner style applied by wheel.
If this is the case I would be curious of all 3 car build dates thinking that just maybe the Pontiac plant went to the wheel method later??

Old 02-09-2014, 07:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Going with a red pinstripe would have seemed risky to me back then. It worked when the car was purchased new with redline tires. When the owner needed to replace the original set of tires and went with blackwall, whitewall or white letters then the red would not of flowed with the car. From what I have seen, the pinstripe color would match the interior color. I love the red stripe with the black exterior and have not done the pinstripe on my black with parchment 65 yet because I can not decide between red or white. More importantly, I would want to put what was originaly on the car.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I would assume 1 would be Keiths car which has black interior and the barn find has parchment interior. What is the color interior of the 3rd car you are speaking of ?

Old 02-09-2014, 07:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6t5gto View Post
I would assume 1 would be Keiths car which has black interior and the barn find has parchment interior. What is the color interior of the 3rd car you are speaking of ?
I think the gentleman of post #72 has it? You can do a search of him to verify.

If so I hope he elaborates on the build date of his 65 and if it is indeed all Original Black paint and Red pinstripe. Pics would be real nice.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I did the search and it turns out I have met him at a show near my hometown in Fishkill NY. His car is original black with red pinstripe and parchment interior. I might be swayed towards a red pinstripe now.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As far as I'm concerned, a red pin stripe is the only color for a black car, hands down. Still waiting to hear the story of Tarheel's barn find!!