Old 04-07-2014, 10:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Questions on 64 seat belts

Were the buckles a chrome or satin finish? What would be closer to stock?

In the archives I found some conflicting info on the length.
Dick Boneseke mentioned that seatbelt planet recommended 74" front and 60" back and 8Lug measured his belts at Front = 21" FOR THE TIP END, AND 43" FOR THE BUCKLE END Back = 46" BUCKLE END FOR THE LENGTH, AND THE TIP END WAS 39". If the Front measurement is correct that would be 64". I assume seatbelt planet recommended 74" just to be safe in case your a 400lb midget?

I know what I want to do but not sure its worth the cost to do it. I want a 65 style retractor for the fronts with aqua color webbing and plastic cover painted to match. I like the cleaner look and I know one other mentioned slamming the door on the buckle all the time sucks.

Dan2Lakes helped me find the retractor. I looked all over for them without luck. I would sure like to know who makes them.
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/cant...or-287410.html

This is the site he referred me to. They are not cheap at all but have the most options compared to the other sites I have looked at. I think the aviator buckle is closer to stock then the vintage buckle? I saw in the archives one other got his lap belts there.
http://www.andoauto.com/AR1.htm

This place hands down has the best pricing but non of the options to change the latches or toungs.
https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/seatb...ucts/23/view/4

Old 04-07-2014, 10:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Is this what you are wanting to do? This is a 64 female end with a 66 dated retractor. Webbing is different and these are original pieces.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-021S.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	359663   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-022S.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	359664  

Old 04-07-2014, 11:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Have you tried SSNAKEOYL Products? They have been in the seatbelt business FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "Bill"!http://http://www.ssnake-oyl.com/

Old 04-07-2014, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've done these for people in the past. Its quite straightforward using all GM parts. Mostly you just need a set of aqua 65-7 deluxe belts and a pair of 64 buckles. The buckles are polished aluminum that becomesdull aand chalky over time. Drop me a email and I'll see what I have. I definitely have the buckles. Arayman@AOL com

Old 04-07-2014, 12:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes Bob that is what I want to do. Just with the aqua webbing. Does that tong mate with the latch?

Bill as I read in the archives snake oyl can only refurbish seat belts. Doesn't sound like they would carry the retractors or buckles I want. I have nothing right now. Also heard they are pretty pricey and I'm not looking for show quality.

I put in call to setbeltplanet.com
I spoke with Steve and he said they are capable to taking retractor and re-webbing it for the color I want and sew a latch end on. He also thought he might have enough lift latch buckles with the square hole tonged that is more like the factory one.

I learned that in 65 the retractor was non locking. Thus you just pulled it out and synched it with the buckle side. We argued a bit about the 69 retractor I posted on the hottrodders.com site, if it was locking or not. He said the 69 cars should not have been a locking style. But I can say that it was locking retractor and I did pull it out of a 69 executive.

To re-web retractors that I would have to provide would be $135 each + $20 for the buckles. He is going to send me an email if he has 6 of them or not. The rest of the belts would be $29.95 with the lift latch buckles and square hole tongs.

andoauto.com wanted $40 a belt.

I put in a call to andoauto.com to and want to ask them the same question but I think the price is going to be pretty high.

He did say that he recommends 74" front and 60" in back. Not that it was needed for a 64 but just his rule of thumb. I need to get my car out of storage soon and do some measuring and see if that 74" is too excessive.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
I've done these for people in the past. Its quite straightforward using all GM parts. Mostly you just need a set of aqua 65-7 deluxe belts and a pair of 64 buckles. The buckles are polished aluminum that becomesdull aand chalky over time. Drop me a email and I'll see what I have. I definitely have the buckles. Arayman@AOL com
I probably need more then just a couple. I want three belts in back and three up front. Two with retractors. I will send you an email.

Cost is always a driving force. If I go with the retractors and the buckles I want with seatbeltplanet. I'm in the $450 range. If I go with the off the shelf product I'm looking at $120.

Or I just go with there stand setup and add the retractors later.

I guess I have lots of options at this point.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is what the seatbeltplanet.com belts look like in my '64. As you can see, my latches look a lot like the '64 latch posted by Bob Vidan (which is exactly what my original '64 belts looked like.) The replacement belts are not exact, but close in apperance to originals and priced reasonably.

The lengths in my pictures, 74" front and 60" back will accommodate most adults and kids.

I, too, would like to install retractors, but have not decided whether go with the "period correct" windup ones that pull the belts against the seatback or the style that Bob Vidan posted that weren't available until '65 or '66. In any case, they only wind up the outer belts in the front seat--which prevents the front belts from getting caught in the door, but don't do anything to "tidy up" the rears. It's relatively easy to stuff the rears behind the seat bottom as we used to do "back in the day!" The rear ones are sure nice when it's time to take my grandkids for a ride!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO Seats, Carpet 014.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	359671   Click image for larger version

Name:	Red '64 GTO Interior, Power Steering 010.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	359672  

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 04-07-2014, 01:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dick, You driving or trailering to Wichita???? "Bill"!

Old 04-07-2014, 01:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Boneske View Post
Here is what the seatbeltplanet.com belts look like in my '64. As you can see, my latches look a lot like the '64 latch posted by Bob Vidan (which is exactly what my original '64 belts looked like.) The replacement belts are not exact, but close in apperance to originals and priced reasonably.

The lengths in my pictures, 74" front and 60" back will accommodate most adults and kids.

I, too, would like to install retractors, but have not decided whether go with the "period correct" windup ones that pull the belts against the seatback or the style that Bob Vidan posted that weren't available until '65 or '66. In any case, they only wind up the outer belts in the front seat--which prevents the front belts from getting caught in the door, but don't do anything to "tidy up" the rears. It's relatively easy to stuff the rears behind the seat bottom as we used to do "back in the day!" The rear ones are sure nice when it's time to take my grandkids for a ride!!
man that is a nice looking car. Thanks for the pics. Your seatbelt look right at home in there.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They latch up just fine.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB VIDAN View Post
They latch up just fine.
Yeah sounds like that would be another way to go but would be an expensive way to go for me since I don't have any seat belts now.

I may be leaning to just getting the off shelf lap belts they have and convert the two front to some retractors later on.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve from seatbeltplanet.com has a dozen of these buckle tongs that he can use instead of the standard off the shelf ones. Just an extra 10-12 bucks a set. Not sure my car is worth the extra $60 cost but they look nice.

I will place the order as soon as I get the car back and do some measuring of the front and see if I really need 74" fronts.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those are the same tongues I was able to get from Andover. They're more stock appearing, that's why I picked them.

'66 LeMans Hardtop, 400, FI, A/C, 4L80E.
'65 GTO Hardtop, next project
'64 GTO Hardtop, "389", Tri-power, 5 speed, A/C, Yorktown Blue.
http://www.gtoaco.com
Old 04-09-2014, 09:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron cozzo View Post
Those are the same tongues I was able to get from Andover. They're more stock appearing, that's why I picked them.
I wonder if they are not produced anymore? The cost at Andover was 45-7 per belt and seatbeltplanet.com only has 12 of those kind left. They look nice IMO.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrt View Post
I wonder if they are not produced anymore? The cost at Andover was 45-7 per belt and seatbeltplanet.com only has 12 of those kind left. They look nice IMO.
Yes, it seems they've been phased out. Damn shame, they look better than the side lock tongues. When I contacted Andover to get mine a year ago, the pictures on their website showed the style you picture, but they were actually selling the side lock version. I made sure to specify I wanted the ones in the picture, and they tracked them down.

Just speculating, maybe the ones we like were the US made ones and they've been replaced by the cheaper imports? The tools are probably still out there, if people keep requesting the older style, maybe they'll do another run.

Regarding the lengths, I used 74 fronts and 60 rears. They're both longer than stock, but manageable.

'66 LeMans Hardtop, 400, FI, A/C, 4L80E.
'65 GTO Hardtop, next project
'64 GTO Hardtop, "389", Tri-power, 5 speed, A/C, Yorktown Blue.
http://www.gtoaco.com
Old 04-09-2014, 09:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron cozzo View Post
Yes, it seems they've been phased out. Damn shame, they look better than the side lock tongues. When I contacted Andover to get mine a year ago, the pictures on their website showed the style you picture, but they were actually selling the side lock version. I made sure to specify I wanted the ones in the picture, and they tracked them down.

Just speculating, maybe the ones we like were the US made ones and they've been replaced by the cheaper imports? The tools are probably still out there, if people keep requesting the older style, maybe they'll do another run.

Regarding the lengths, I used 74 fronts and 60 rears. They're both longer than stock, but manageable.
The guy Steve that I spoke with said the side lock ones have been around since the 50's. Not sure if that is true or not.