Old 12-16-2008, 02:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It is quite possible that mine were the second type, not bolted to the floor. That would make the most sense. I know that they were not bolted to the floor, so I bet that's what they were. They were a matching aqua color. I'll try to remember to dig up my window sticker and see what the order description was. However, the more I think about it the more that long one looks correct.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think the Fremont Window Sticker will show:

A49 SEAT BELTS-CUST-RET

Fremont did not show the Pontiac Sales Code (which was 624) on the Window Sticker, just the UPC. They also, for the most part, listed the options in alphabetical order by UPC, so Seat Belts one of the first items listed unless you have one of the Tinted Glass options or Power Windows. The W62 GTO option will be one of the last options itemized, it was listed first on a Pontiac Plant Window Sticker.

Price will be $7.53. Prior to Jan 1 this option was priced at $18.29. When GM made the regular seat belts standard content in all cars, Pontiac raised the Base Price of each model by $11, reduced the cost of the Custom Belts by $10.76 and eliminated the Sales Code 411, UPC A20 Standard Belts that had been offered as an option at a price of $10.76. They added the Seat Belt Delete option, Sales Code 414, UPC A52 which gave an $11 credit.

After Jan 1, unless the A49 Custom Seat Belt option was included, Fremont would code the standard Seat Belts showing A20 on the Manifest (not on the Window Sticker) but tag it with an asterisk (same as other standard content components listed on the Manifest). The asterisk indicating this "option" was not added cost.

Unfortunately, neither the Window Sticker or the Manifest is going to help establish that these Protector Sleeves were installed. But now I'll know to keep my eyes out for other examples that may still have originals installed.

I wonder if the "non-bolted" style was typical for '64 (when installed), perhaps the "bolted" style was a '65 up style.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I never paid any attention to the seat belt implementation in other 64's that friends had, I just know what mine had. I used to have the build sheet that was under the seat, but somehow I misplaced it. It will probably show up in my house somewhere after I am long gone. Mine was built in March, I believe in the 3rd week.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:51 PM
Boost Engineer

My seat belt/ info is identical to OMT's pics. April Build car.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
Plastic sleeves on my '64 Tempest bench.

From the rear of the seat:

Looking from the top with the seat back folded forward:

B-Man

Hope you don't mind me digging up an old post from the past. Found that you posting these pics of the sleeves. Thank you very much.

I see that your bench seat had a round bumper in the middle. I see that oval ones are sold and I thought they went on the outside. Can you are anyone educate me on the correct bumpers?

Old 04-11-2014, 11:42 PM
Senior Chief

The retractors OMT and b-man show are the correct optional retractors. They were used on many GM's and for a number of years. I have not found them that hard to come by. If you had correct seat belts and need a different color like I did, I sent mine to Snake oyl in Texas for rewebbing in my color of choice. They can also sew on the Irving Air Shute mfg tags.
http://www.ssnake-oyl.com/