Old 04-20-2014, 11:48 AM
Senior Chief

Default Rocker Trim

Having an issue installing rocker trim. Picture 1 is at front of drivers side, #2 is at rerar same side.
Cant get the clip on last clip towards front of car. Is this the correct one for Driver side. It is turned up at the end toward front of car.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rocker trim 1.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	361028   Click image for larger version

Name:	rocker trim 2.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	361030  

Old 04-20-2014, 02:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Part looks correct. Hard to see, but gap seems pretty big between mldng. and door/ fender. Is the alignment good there?? "Bill"!

Old 04-20-2014, 03:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You need better alignment on the fender to the door and rocker panel. Its a 2 man operation. The front edge of the rear section of the fender needs to be inward much further. The alignment of the fender to the rocker should emulate the straightness of the rocker molding. If you kneel down at the rear of the qt and look foward to the end of the rear of the fender , you will see that the bottom of the fender is bowed outward. This is a very common problem that I see so often, but is easily fixed. Do not try and make the rocker molding fit the fender until the alignment is correct or you will end up damaging the molding.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Picture #1 really shows how bowed out the fender is.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This was the hardest part of aligning panels on my '64 GTO. When you look at '64-'65 A bodies, you'll see that most are not aligned as good as they could be here. The front of the rocker to the rear of the front fender is easy to align, but getting the front fender toward the wheel in far enough is a real PITA.

As stated above, if you can get someone to help push the fender inward with all the bolts loose (inner fender-to-outer fender bolts and bottom fender-to-body). The fender needs to be held to form a straight line with the rocker panel while maintaining proper gap to the rocker and door edge. If you do this and tighten all the bolts while things are in proper alignment, they will stay.

Along with the above, there are shims between the bottom of the fender and the 3/8" cage nut in the body. You may need to shim the gap between the fender and body to bow the rear of the fender to match the front of the door.

I spent many hours on this. Mine's not perfect, but as good as I could get it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO 4-1-12 011.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	361057   Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO Headlights, Front End, Overall 013.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	361058   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rocker Molding GTO 006.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	361059   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rocker Molding GTO 003.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	361060  

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 04-20-2014, 05:40 PM
Senior Chief

Default rocker blues

Thanks guys for al the replies. After getting the driver window in the channels and properly aligned, I thought the HARD STUFF might be over. O well back to the drawing board.
Thanks again for all your help. I,ll let you guys know how I progress.
Mike