Old 04-02-2014, 07:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I cannot answer for Lynn's heads, but my heads and the factory heads have the same port and bolt arrangement. I did make my exhaust ports round though instead of tear drops. That helped the exhaust flow allot better.

Don Johnston
DCI MOTORSPORTS INC.
330-850-5050 shop
330-628-3354 cell
Designer of the DCI Tiger Heads and the NEW DCI Ram Air 5 Heads !!!!!

Old 04-02-2014, 07:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I might just be talking out my ass here, but it seems like with all of the technology available today that someone could be able to reproduce the RAV manifolds without a huge expense? 3D scanning and printing, 5 axis CNC machines etc...

I even read somewhere about a 3D printer that prints in metal. I wonder if that could stand up to exhaust use? Even scanning a set and having them carved out of a chunk of billet... then you could blast them to get the "cast" look.

I realize that none of those options would be cheap, but I'd think that they'd be cheaper than the $18K that Tom quoted above.

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 04-02-2014, 07:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have and have access to all of that technology, and it does not make it cheaper. It actually cost more believe it or not. Metal 3D printers are amazing, but the parts are not very durable yet. They are making advancements all the time, but still cannot make a part that is dependable under stress. It will happen eventually though. I think there is a company that is making a hand gun now, but I have not seen any actual laboratory testing with it yet. An exhaust manifold might be able to be made to hold up with a ceramic coating to help with the heat. To make one or a couple of sets this way would still be pretty pricy, but if you could make a hundred pieces at a time the cost would come down. Like anything, rarity and one offs keep the price up.

Don Johnston
DCI MOTORSPORTS INC.
330-850-5050 shop
330-628-3354 cell
Designer of the DCI Tiger Heads and the NEW DCI Ram Air 5 Heads !!!!!

Old 04-07-2014, 12:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lynn's first run had some issues on some locations.

Now he has said that all locations are correct for accepting stock Intake - Exhaust - Guideplates.

So appears all 3 versions can use the same Exhaust flange parameter.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
I think McCarty's Aluminum V heads are 2500 pair

Lynn's were 2500 pair - raw bare castings
3500 complete - with as cast ports
That was about 2 years ago - haven't checked lately

Old 04-09-2014, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

RAM AIR V

Lynn's site.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 04-09-2014, 11:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks John, but my slow internet won't load the page.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:56 PM

Default Ram Air V exhaust manifolds

The manifolds I have on my car are 545651 and 546083. The outlet holes are 2 3/4" ID. The oil filter adapter is a block of aluminum shaped and drilled to a standard hole configuration on one side and a 45 degree pattern on the other. The oil passages were then angle drilled to meet each other. Mount the spacer to the block with recessed bolts and drill and tap the holes on the other side for the new angled filter location. To make those manifolds fit, the motor mounts were also custom made to locate the motor over about 3/16" in the engine compartment. The end result was it looked like it came from the factory that way.
It was blast to get lined up with J Glasgo's car at the track. The thought of seeing his car next to mine at 6800 rpm still makes the hair standup on my arm yet today. His car was a awesome example of a factory appearing Ram Air V.

Bob

Old 04-23-2014, 09:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hello Bob and welcome aboard !

Sincere thanks for informing us about your exhaust manifolds.
Those are the ones listed as 1st Gen F-Body 400 in the parts book listing.

Is there any chance you could share more pictures of them with us ?
Or a view of the driver side manifold ?

Great that you were able to adapt to them and put them to use.
Would also be interesting to know where you sourced them from and how long ago you got them.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:05 AM

Default Ram Air V Exhaust Parts

I started collecting Ram Air V parts back in 1986. Back then the parts were still in the hands of the people that originally procured them. I say that because parts like these we're hard to get without knowing someone on the inside. I found people with unbelievable stashes of Ram Air V parts. Everything from manifolds, carbs, dual quads, distributors to complete engines. The engine in my car was a complete NOS engine from a Pontiac dealership, it cost me 4500.00 dollars. They bought the engine back in 1971 for 1500.00 dollars. While I was there to pick up the engine he said he had a complete Ram Air lV too so I said I would take that to for 2000.00 bucks. At this point I was so excited I couldn't hardly stand it. I did not want to use tube headers so I found a carb and the F body exhaust manifolds from a gentleman in Detroit. Not exactly what I wanted but I went for the sure thing. The manifolds were 1100.00 dollars and the carb was 200.00 both were NOS.
By this time the Purely PMD car was out and making some news which really got me fired up. After we got our crops in 1988 I talked my boss into taking some time off. I had a 21,000 mile Ram Air lV automatic Judge so I threw everything in the shop and started the restoration in May and finished it in July in time for the POCI show. The journey has been incredible, it was a great time to be in the hobby. Most of the fun of having cars like these are the relationships that are built along the way and my father and I have had a blast.

Bob

Old 04-24-2014, 10:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for sharing here! Would love to hear more.
Are most of those stashed still in the same hands or did the parts eventually get sold off?

1970 GTO 4spd VOE Pepper Green, green int.
1967 LeMans 428 Auto. Blue, black int.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsramairv View Post
my father and I have had a blast. Bob
Bob, it is good to see you post something. I hope you and your Dad are well!

Michael Staley in N.C.

Some people know all of their rights, but none of their obligations.