Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-17-2014, 11:00 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles bledsoe View Post
Hi Tom-

As long as were are on this discussion of the AFB's for Pontiac's being tuned for a specific engine. Could having the wrong one cause major problems. The reason I ask is when I bought mine it was suppose to be for a 66 Pontiac. That was all he could say as it didn't have a tag on it when he rebuilt it. I have a problem with stumbling if I punch the peddle real fast in park. With a load on it (in drive standing still) and punching it the car will die. If I take off slowly it runs ok. At speed if I try to kick down on it, after a few seconds it will sputter till I back off of it.

A little back ground: the engine is not a GTO engine, it is a 66 Catalina B body engine that was a 2bbl car. I put a correct 66 4bbl intake on it as well as the AFB. The throttle linkage is jury rigged by me, as the original cable is for a Rochester 2 bbl carb. I also have not checked the timing since I swapped out intakes/carbs. So I'm hoping this might be my problem or at least a contributor.

Is there a way I can tell the application of my AFB without the tag? Any suggestions on how to overcome the stumbling, hesitation, and stalling/dyeing of the engine.
Thanks.
Charlie, The issue you describe sounds like an Accelerator Pump issue. There are specs on the web that give you dimensions on the pump "idle rpm position" as well as the pump wot settings. Some of the pump cups are not correct for the afbs vs the old leather pump cups. Today AFBs need to have a guy get a proper rebuild kit from someone like Jon Hargrove (An AFB Guy) that has taken the time to find the right replacement parts that work with a correct carter made AFB.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:14 PM
Suspended

and alas you missed the point completely.

if the op wanted to restore his carb to factory specs that would be easy. he could do it with a 25 dollar kit or pay 350 bucks to have it done.

but if the carb were to be installed on a non factory application those factory specs go pretty much out the door. and with the exception of a very few carb guru's, many of us don't have the knowlege to set up an afb to run aftermarket specs.

and The one guy willing to do that, that I worked with, has retired, so my self and others are at the mercy of those who covet that knowledge and glare down upon us with disdain for bothering to ask.

edelbrock treats its customers differently, yes their carbs are different and so are many afb' qjets and holleys.. Many modifications improve the carb and others simplify manufacture. These applications are intended to fit the performance end of the market and are advertised for that purpose. AFB's were for several makes and several generations up through the epa era so and since that market is still supported by the NORS vendors it would not make sense for ebrock to compete in that market. So that's not a fault. You may not want to give them due credit but they do have the market. that suggests they know almost as much as you do about the market they dominate.

and if ebrock does a claibraqtion that works in a high volume offering that presumes based on your "high volume offering" that they sell a lot of carbs. But what you evade in your answer is that they also offer a kit to fine tune the calibration further to fit specific applications. reasonably priced and available almost anywhere and offer a pdf file to help calibration and fine tuning further.... free from thier web site....no mercy from the disdain of gurodom needed.

Not going to let this deteriorate into a verbal shell game. But anybody wanting to set up a dual quad pm me and I will get you in the ball park. I'll show you where to locate ebrock specs.

Last edited by RamAirIV28; 05-19-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:41 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAirIV28 View Post
But anybody wanting to set up a dual quad pm me and I will get you in the ball park. I'll show you where to locate ebrock specs.
Good luck with your Carb Tuning.

TV

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:47 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Good luck with your Carb Tuning.

TV
Thanks

its not about luck good or bad.

its about ebrocks support. its about getting that info out to the user. the users are the ones that are greatful

no luck in that

Old 05-20-2014, 07:16 PM
Boost Engineer

You do realize that all of the tuner Kits you mention from Edelbrock are just copies of parts offered by Carter? The Carter Strip Kit parts and Street Kit Parts, etc. No new inventions there.

Also that Edelbrock actually did none the engineering on the carbs be it AFB clones, Q-jet clones, AVS clones, and MAGNETI MARELLI USA, INC actually engineers and builds the carbs
for Edelbrock to box with Edelbrock's name on the carbs.

Tom V.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 05-20-2014 at 07:52 PM.